Author Topic: Aftermarket Coils  (Read 3473 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: May 13, 2019, 02:23:47 pm
      As many of you know, I've been modding my '08 AVL since I got it as a long-leftover with no mileage from an out-of-business dealer's lawyers.

One of those mods was exchanging the hidden-under-the-tank coil for a Pertronix mainly because of its inaccessibility and because I like exposed mechanicals; not because I thought it was "necessary" or would help me "gofaster"; I'm a blue highways/back roads rider. I've only wanted it to "run" better and "feel" better than AVLS do from the factory. I've put Pertronix coils (and distributors) on I think 6 cars and/or bikes, but none of those had ECUs. 

Since then, especially the past year, I've read various random comments here and on the other forums (I read them all) from guys who know electronics way better than I, that I've put my (green) ECU in jeopardy of being "cooked" or "fried" "some day".

Is there any real world evidence for this or is it just electronics math? Should I be looking at finding a green ECU to have as a spare before they're worth more than their weight in gold? What say you electronics guys? 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:35:18 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:13:55 pm
I don't have an answer for you tooseevee, I'm only here to point out there is currently a similar fledgling discussion in the Continental GT Cafe Racer section.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,27177.0.html

I don't know if the concerns are the same for yours as for those fuel-injected bikes.  One commenter there said, "you may probably slowly cook the ECU due to the extra current requirement." Not to question said commenter's self-professed wisdom and experience (of which, to be clear, I have absolutely none), but that statement seems somewhat, ah... noncommittal?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:36 pm
Don't worry about it. It will be just fine.

We have used aftermarket coils with hot sparks on Iron Barrels, AVL, and UCE bikes with no problems over years of use.

There's "theoretical" and then there's real world factual experience, and the real world says it works great.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:34:09 am
No specific experience with the matter under discussion, but I will mention that Pertronix is a first rate vendor. When I ordered their whole electronic ignition and coil kit setup for the Amphicar there was the tiniest problem with the distributor stator unit--just the smallest bit of uninsulated bare wire, and they replaced it so quickly you'd think they had a guy waiting with one in the bushes. None of that "first send it to our service department in Kuala Lumpur for investigation" or "an evening on hold with the Muzak version of 'Muskrat Love'" or a comparative linguistics seminar with "Jerry" in Bangalore. They treat their customers right.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:39:55 am
twoseevee, which model # coil did you get?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:56:15 am
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:32 am
an evening on hold with the Muzak version of 'Muskrat Love'

You should try the Berlin Philharmonic's cover version of that, but speeded up by about 20 percent...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:15:54 pm
thank you, twoseevee!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.