Author Topic: 350 classic tune  (Read 7091 times)

yakherder

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 08:49:33 am
Have been searching for a info on the bs29 in the 350 for ages. Thanks all.  I'm currently running a free flow muffler, pipe still has cat and stock air filter. Will try the recommended 17.5 and 115 jets if I can source them.
Did any of you fiddle with the needle position too?

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 09:56:17 am
With the same set up as you, I found the 115 still a bit flat in the upper rev range, and the 120 gave a better result. Certainly a nice fat increase in the mid range. I didn't touch the needle position.
2021 Classic 500

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 10:44:41 am
I haven't touched the needle either - doesn't feel like it needs it

yakherder

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 07:01:14 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sadly could only manage to source the 15 pilot and 120 mains. My usual mechanic was adamant that I don't need to change the jets for just a slip on change. Kept the stock jets safe just in case. Went for a short run today and the bike is much quicker to respond to throttle inputs. Tuned the carb for the upsize and the fuel screw is currently at half a turn out. Mech and my adjustments match.Won't a 17.5 pilot be overkill?

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:14 am
Pretty much finished the mods now so I thought I'd post a couple of pics.  Bike running well with open downpipe (no cat), short bottle muffler (packed with a couple of stainless steel scouring pads to tone down the sound a bit), Ace filter and carb jetted to 120 main 17.5 pilot.  Will run 100-110 kph easily enough on the freeway now.

Cosmetic mods: tail light and indicators, bar-end mirrors and luggage - all courtesy of the www - there's plenty of bits for these bikes!

yakherder

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 12:16:16 pm
Love the rear end mods. Could you point me/us to your purchase links please. I've been searching for something that would look aesthetically pleasing and
hopefully be easy to fit without any mods. The stock read end really is an eyesore and I can't understand how more people don't complain about it.
Btw the ACE canister looks great. I want to mod my air intake too, and I can't understand why the 350 would have that resonator oval box. 

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 12:26:00 pm
Tuned the carb for the upsize and the fuel screw is currently at half a turn out. Mech and my adjustments match.Won't a 17.5 pilot be overkill?

Maybe I'm getting confused here, but do you have the #15 Pilot installed or the #17.5? And shouldn't the mixture screw be closer to 1.5 turns out? (instead of a half turn?). Maybe I'm all wrong here, but wouldn't that indicate the pilot is maybe one number too large?   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:28:09 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 06:07:05 am
Love the rear end mods. Could you point me/us to your purchase links please. I've been searching for something that would look aesthetically pleasing and
hopefully be easy to fit without any mods. The stock read end really is an eyesore and I can't understand how more people don't complain about it.
Btw the ACE canister looks great. I want to mod my air intake too, and I can't understand why the 350 would have that resonator oval box.

The rear light and indicators are from BAAK in France - https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en/n international shipping no problem, got to NZ in a week.
Aye, the ACE is my favorite mod! Made a big difference to the airflow

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 06:26:14 am
         Maybe I'm getting confused here, but do you have the #15 Pilot installed or the #17.5? And shouldn't the mixture screw be closer to 1.5 turns out? (instead of a half turn?). Maybe I'm all wrong here, but wouldn't that indicate the pilot is maybe one number too large?

The service manual for the 350 gives 3 +/- 1 turns out as spec.  For my set up the 15 pilot took 4 turns out, the 17.5 took 2.5 - both within spec, but 17.5 closer to central point (3), so that'd what i went with (I didn't notice any difference in actual performance between the two jets by the way).

yakherder

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 11:13:39 am
Top speed seems unaffected with upjetting as I had heard it would be.  Is is really possible to push the 350 beyond 85 kmph without drastic mods? It already feels like riding an wild animal at that speed. More bouncy than vibey. Maybe I just dont have the balls of steel to go harder but the engine too seems to peter out at about that speed.
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't get to put up an update since. I am running on a 15 pilot, screw is set at about 2.5 turns out and still seems to be running lean. Plugs too clean. Ongoing process of fiddling. Kindly disregard my earlier post about the fuel screw being half a turn out. I agree with your conclusion though. :-)

The rear light and indicators are from BAAK in France - https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en/n
Thanks.

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 07:08:22 am
Top speed seems unaffected with upjetting as I had heard it would be.  Is is really possible to push the 350 beyond 85 kmph without drastic mods? It already feels like riding an wild animal at that speed. More bouncy than vibey. Maybe I just dont have the balls of steel to go harder but the engine too seems to peter out at about that speed.

Before mods I could get to about 90kph and then it would run out of steam - also tended to cough a bit at full throttle. Post mods, 100kph cruising is quite doable, even on modest uphill with a bit of a head wind. 120 is attainable on a long flat, but as you say this bike isn't built for speed - from 100 upwards a fundamental chassis instability comes in and by 120 it is becoming truly alarming!!