Author Topic: power modifications  (Read 4240 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
on: May 12, 2019, 07:56:15 am
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has done some modifications to increase power and what were the results?
cheers and beers
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 01:40:21 pm
The general course of action is to first get hold of a method to control the fuel delivery. Something like a Power Commander, or similar product. Or, switch to a carburetor.

Then, you can make tuning mods and dial them in properly. I would suggest that a free flowing exhaust with fuel correction would be the best power for money spent. You could expect about 20% power increase if you select a good exhaust system or silencer and re-tune the fuel mixture correctly for it.

I am not aware of any Himalayan internal engine speed parts available on the aftermarket yet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:49 am
Thanks Guys. I am considering getting one but was hoping that other performance parts may be out there.
kind regards
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:06 pm
Thanks Guys. I am considering getting one but was hoping that other performance parts may be out there.
kind regards
Warwick

Like Ace says you hafta be able control fuel delivery in some way so you can deal with the effects of "other" things that you mod the engine with.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 12:14:32 am
In one of her videos Noralee (Itchy Boots) shows the installation of a after market Power Tronic computer on her Himalayan.  It had a switch that was mounted on the handlebars that was used to select between 2 settings.

Here is a link to the video.  (Fantastic series of videos if you want to see what a Himalayan can do in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHQBxG-9V00
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 12:58:53 pm
In one of her videos Noralee (Itchy Boots) shows the installation of a after market Power Tronic computer on her Himalayan.  It had a switch that was mounted on the handlebars that was used to select between 2 settings.

Here is a link to the video.  (Fantastic series of videos if you want to see what a Himalayan can do in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHQBxG-9V00

The whole world is watching this girl and all the guys are in love with her including me and I'm sure some of the girls, too.

She is definitely selling a lot of these bikes and it makes me wish I was 50 years younger. I might have taken a different bike path.

She never seems to have battery or starter problems which is another credit to the bike. I just went and watched 77, 78 and 79. The girl is amazing and she's all ALONE ! Except for some of the insane Himalayan Mountain trips, hers are the most enjoyable mainly because of her incredible positive, just go for it and get it done, attitude.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 05:40:25 pm
I agree. 

I've ridden in some pretty bad areas but that stretch of road in episode 79 would have scared the hell out of me.

Although it was only 20 km between the check stations if she had dropped the bike or if it had failed in any way, she could have easily been frozen to death before anyone would have passed her way.

Her Himalayan's like the Energizer Bunny.  It just keeps on thumpin' down the road thru thick and thin. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 08:13:54 pm
I agree. 

I've ridden in some pretty bad areas but that stretch of road in episode 79 would have scared the hell out of me.

Although it was only 20 km between the check stations if she had dropped the bike or if it had failed in any way, she could have easily been frozen to death before anyone would have passed her way.

Her Himalayan's like the Energizer Bunny.  It just keeps on thumpin' down the road thru thick and thin. :)

All through that whole nightmare I was whispering "don'tfalldowndon'tfalldowndon'tfalldowndon'tfalldown". And she was freezing. It could have been really really bad.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:13 am
If I get one I'm keeping it stock. I don't believe a carb conversion is possible. EFI was a retrofit on the UCE Bullets, and I was able to convert mine to a carb. But I believe the new ones have the EFI system built in, and the computer does more than just fuel injection. A $500 Power Commander and a $500 pipe takes it out of the budget bike category. If I spend money on it, it will be on luggage and traveling accessories. I have no need to go beyond 65 mph, and I have watched a guy called everide on Youtube beat the crap out of one and it just kept going. It went around, over, and through pretty much everything, including some pretty steep climbs. Apparently it has a very low first gear. If you have a low enough gear, traction becomes the limiting factor on climbing. So I see no reason to want more power. I still don't understand people who buy slow bikes and then spend a fortune trying to make them fast, when they could have just bought a faster bike to begin with. I have belonged to over 20 motorcycle forums, and on every single one of them, a single recurring thing has been "how do I get more power out of it" These threads are far more common than oil threads. You can't hot rod bikes like you could vintage carbureted cars with cast iron V8s.

For the OTD price of a Himalayan, I could get a nice used Suzuki V-Strom 650, which is several times the bike. In fact a bit too much bike. I want something small, light, and simple. And different.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 01:43:07 pm
"For the OTD price of a Himalayan, I could get a nice used Suzuki V-Strom 650, which is several times the bike. In fact a bit too much bike. I want something small, light, and simple. And different."

Suitcasejefferson, I did just that, but I bought a new V Strom. There is almost nothing in common between a Himalayan and a Strom. Compared to the RE, the Strom is HUGE, tall, heavy, super fast.......and totally lacking soul, personality, character.......whatever you want to call it. It is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but it does not put a smile on your face like a C5. I considered the Himalayan, but at 6'1", the seat is just a little too far forward and the bike just a bit too cramped. I had already talked to GHG about his willingness to try to get 6 more HP out of it........which he thought would be easy.......a very modest genius that guy. Anyway, a Himalayan with a Powertronic and exhaust would be the cats meow if I were 5'10......I would have one now. As it is, the Strom comes with an awful windscreen, the seat is iffy for more than 45 minutes at a time, the handlebars are too low and forward for 6'1", and it is tall and heavy. So, at least $125 for new screen, some sort of seat pad or new seat $$, and handlebar risers, which may entail new cables $$$. If you want something cool and different and very good, and you fit.......buy a Himalayan. My 2 cents.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350