Author Topic: New Owner/ Old Rider/ New Member  (Read 7778 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 02:39:20 pm
Hmm, A touring bike with the power of a 250? (if its healthy). What's the frequency of your noise? Could it be piston slap? These things have been known to stick a piston now and then. Also When checking your valve adjustments be sure to wiggle the tappets themselves in their bores. Clearance there is the source of almost all my engine noise.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:35:20 pm
Hmm, A touring bike with the power of a 250? (if its healthy). What's the frequency of your noise?

Actually, if you're in no particular hurry, then a well-fettled "Iron Belly" Bullet is a superb little tourer, if you're doing it right. For me that means firing up Google Maps on the phone, choosing the "Avoid Highways" option and then choosing the "squiggliest" route option presented that keeps me away from big towns. Then just burble along in the 50s. Mine has a couple of "sweet spots" at about 54 and 59 mph where the vibes are mildest and the tappets just sing happily along. A pair of Bluetooth headphones, and just let that nice lady tell you what to do. Happily married for 22 years, so I'm quite used to having a nice lady tell me what to do. Seriously though, flicking it around on a tidy little twisty 2-laner like I am today, I sometimes wonder why anyone would ride anything less "elemental".

That Avon fairing might be a minor burden to tug along, but he'll be happy for it when the rains come, as they do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:25:59 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 09:29:18 pm
Do you know the Avon Avonaire model....it was typical on English Police bikes in the sixties......warm, dry, slippery in the air.

We each want what we want from the Enfield I guess...

I could have brought home my neighbors Vincent(s) one of which is also a 500.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:41 pm
I have a number plate from my old Guzzi...but like the one you imaged...where can this be purchased?

Like I said, EBAY!!! if you look under the picture I also quote the item number, 143233032273. This is on ebay UK. but if you enter the item number on ebay.com for the USA it comes right up - look, free international shipping, too! Enter item # 143233032267 and they will sell you FIVE of the things for only $48.24.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=143233032273&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-ROYAL-ENFIELD-REAR-NUMBER-PLATE-MODEL-G-REDDITCH-OLD-CLASSIC-MODEL-WHOLESALE/143233032267?hash=item21595aa04b:g:bzYAAOSwN3Na4HDg

Let's try 181197042068 for that rear lamp:

Yep, no worries.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=181197042068&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=143233032273

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:15 pm
Anybody can do anything in touring world. I am more interested in your engine noises. Aren't you? Half engine speed, or at engine speed? Unloaded or loaded? Can you count them at idle? Been dealing with these bikes since 2005 and I can tell you the tail light should be the least of your concerns ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 07:00:10 am
Do you know the Avon Avonaire model....it was typical on English Police bikes in the sixties......warm, dry, slippery in the air.

We each want what we want from the Enfield I guess...

I could have brought home my neighbors Vincent(s) one of which is also a 500.

At this more relaxed stage of life, I think I might prefer a Vincent Comet 500 single to their various twins. Is it really for sale? As for police bikes, my very first bike was a '72 Norton Interpol that still had the full fairing--a huge thick fiberglass thing that looked like someone had laid it out and sawed it up in a shed with hedge clippers, but it did the job. By then they weren't using Avon fairings  any more. I think it was called a "Northwind". The previous owner had got it at auction from the Staffordshire Constabulary, I think, and replaced the white fuel tank with a huge red Interstate 5 Imperial Gallon one with matching red side panels. Aside from a near-constant electrical gremlin hunt to button down the various shorts and bare wire ends from where they'd yanked out all the cop equipment none too gently, it was a good rider that got me all over Britain, Ireland, France and to finally to Germany, where its gearbox finally went kablooey, and I hadn't the wherewithal to fix it. For all I know, it's still sitting nearly 40 years later under a bicycle shelter in Tuebingen.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 03:48:15 am
I got in a few more miles today...perhaps the noise is just valve train and the god awful loud exhaust note.

Checked the valve adjustment and the exhaust seems tight.

Went to a vintage swap meet and found a correct diameter baffle to experiment with the exhaust blare....PO had cross threaded an incorrect set screw into the current baffle so it promptly broke....easy out time.

Were the "military" metal panniers ever sold in other than green painted?

Moving forward.

David Graves     

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 01:24:42 am
These come in a variety of colors for only 10,000 Rupees, or less than a $150...Though what shipping may be, or how reliable the vendor, I cannot say.

They resemble my 2005's lovely OEM boxes. Black is shown, but apparently they also come in other colors like that sandy "Desert Storm."

As I've mentioned before in these Forums, I'm also a big fan of those ultra-cheapo but rugged Stansport canvas saddlebags, which come in black or olive drab. For long tours I'll sling a pair of those on too, and in the off-times they're a handy holder in the closet for my camping accoutrements.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:21:57 am by Bilgemaster »

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 02:23:27 am
Thanks

Could you post and rear image of your panniers along with the overall width ?

I have seen them years ago on a used bike near Portland and my memory is likely flawed.

David Graves

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 03:47:33 am
Thanks

Could you post and rear image of your panniers along with the overall width ?

I have seen them years ago on a used bike near Portland and my memory is likely flawed.

David Graves

They're not "bulky"--only about 25 inches wide to the outer parts of the rack. Attached are a couple of shots I had handy...

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 04:10:16 am
Many thanks... very Cravenesque.

Do they vibrate ?

Do they just set in the surround frame or how are they fastened ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:39:40 am by DavidGraves »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 06:04:30 am
Mine don't vibrate at all, or at least not as I have noticed, though I have heard of some of these metal ones that do rattle a bit, necessitating a strip of rubber tucked in here or there. The boxes themselves bolt onto the subframe with four bolts.

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 05:35:25 pm
Hello Again

I was please to learn that the Avon I had stashed away is more or less the proper scale for the Enfield.

I mocked it up to think about mounting brackets and it seems to fit my intentions.

I would appreciate any images of a similar Avon on a mid sized Brit bike from the period.

Many thanks

David Graves

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 05:37:50 pm
Of course, it will need paint and a windscreen $$$$$$$$

David Graves

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: May 26, 2019, 05:38:56 pm
Another image