Author Topic: Eliminating AVL Electric Start  (Read 9197 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 08:29:36 pm
Frank,

you could have been happily auto-jumbling off that lot for some time! Never mind, eh?

Bill.

as long as the inner has the flat joint face with the 10 tapped screw holes it will fit the Electra-X/AVL classic outer. Apart from the hole for the gear shift you will need to reposition the mounting stud holes on the crankcase, not a major exercise.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mick Bailey

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 11:39:54 am
I ran my bike without the electric start and had intended to do a 'proper' job of removing it and reworking the cases by cutting and welding to give a more pleasing appearance. That was until a knee injury ruined everything and I had to look for a bike with a reliable electric start.

Since then I found someone who had installed the sprag clutch off a late model unit-construction bike and had no further problems. The design is different to the Electra - it's stronger and is also much cheaper. The fitting requires the new race to be ground to fit, but it  looks to me to be to be a good bet.

Here's the facebook page link - scroll down the comments and there's another link to the technical details and pictures (for some reason I can't get this to open other than by navigating to it);

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.814036478690354.1073741854.447384275355578&type=3&comment_id=817199951707340&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:52:43 am by Mick Bailey »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 03:37:43 pm

Here's the facebook page link - scroll down the comments and there's another link to the technical details and pictures (for some reason I can't get this to open other than by navigating to it);

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.814036478690354.1073741854.447384275355578&type=3&comment_id=817199951707340&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

Tried to read it, but Facebook's sign-in billboard won't let me.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Mick Bailey

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 05:09:15 pm
I wonder if you get  different page depending where you live? I didn't log in - when it said I needed an account I clicked on the background and was prompted to create an account and then selected 'Not Now'. I was then able to read the comments and click on the link explaining the modification (you need to expand the comments to read the reply from the guy who came up with the mod)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 07:22:02 pm
IMPROVED ROYAL ENFIELD SPRAG CLUTCH

By Royal Enfield Sevilla  Updated about 4 years ago

If you have a Royal Enfield with an AVL engine or Lean burn engine you are lucky. This motorcycle came out from the factory with a big defect design on the sprag clutch. Sooner or later it brakes down. The labor and parts to fix it are expensive even today. And the problem is that even replacing everything again for brand new parts, they use to fail again. Resulting in a very frustrating situation.
This models are not designed for an easy kickstarting. You can, but it use to be very hard because the decompressor design.
I am a Royal Enfield enthusiast and proud owner of a Bullet Electra X 500cc 2005 model year, with lean burn engine.
I was tired of suffering from this problem on my bike again and again... so I decided to take action on this matter and create something really strong to solve this problem forever.

The factory quitted producing this bikes with AVL engines to focus on the new ECU motorcycles. So they didn't improve or tried to design something better. The only thing they did was making a new TCI box to improve a little the defect but not eliminating it at all. If you don't replace the old TCI box (black color) the destruction of the whole thing is ensured, even the driven and drive sprag gears teeth.

If you already upgraded your TCI for the new one (green color) you won't destroy the gears but your sprag clutch is still too weak for a 500cc AVL engine. The factory were using the same sprag design on the early ECU engines with the same terrible results. So quickly they replaced the old sprag for a new component really strong. As this new part it is not retrofittable for the AVL engines or electric start classic bullets, here in Al Andalus Choppers, The Royal Enfield Dealership of Sevilla, Spain, we have made our own sprag clutch taking the new one-way bearing used on the new EFI bikes and fabricating the rest of the components: driven and drive gears using CNC machines to make it work and last on the old classic and AVL models.

If you are reading this article means that after a long period of use on our and other customer bikes: dalily use riding on the city,starting and stopping the engine, the sprag clutch doesn't fail anymore and works perfect and smooth. Once you change your old sprag for the new one you must do the following things:

- Change the battery for a new one sealed: AGM, it has more cold cranking power.
- Of course, it is mandatory to upgrade your old black TCI box for the green TCI box.
- Put 1 liter of quality primary synthetic oil in the clutch case to lubricate perfectly the whole sprag clutch mechanism. We use 10W40.
- Make sure your carb is perfectly tune.

If you are interested on this new component, send an email to us at:

info@al-andalus-choppers.com
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 09:56:24 pm
I wonder if you get  different page depending where you live? I didn't log in - when it said I needed an account I clicked on the background and was prompted to create an account and then selected 'Not Now'. I was then able to read the comments and click on the link explaining the modification (you need to expand the comments to read the reply from the guy who came up with the mod)

I tried clicking on the background first off and it didn't work, but Adrian solved my problem (Thanks, old chap). It was a good read. I get a chuckle out of Indian English  :) :) even as English English goes down the shitter (Down the bog??)  ??? ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:18 pm
It was actually Spanish English (Spanglish?) tooseevee, I edited out some glaring typos, and it took me at least 5 attempts to replace all the dreaded database error message-causing odd punctuation characters (read false apostrophes).

The choice of sanitary porcelain products I leave to you.  ;D

A.

Mick Bailey

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 11:08:02 am
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:20:40 pm by Mick Bailey »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 12:36:53 pm
It was actually Spanish English (Spanglish?)

The choice of sanitary porcelain products I leave to you.  ;D

A.

Yes and I knew that when I wrote it. It was just another of those brain-fart moments. I think I have that niggling fact that the RE is made in India too deeply embedded in this old lizard brain.

Universal Rundle is my choice: https://www.blockislandtimes.com/article/guitar-man/46143

Lived on Block Island the year of 1959 and then in Narragansett from 1960 to mid-'70s. Urban renewal elitists wiped out the town and we left. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:56:37 pm by tooseevee »