Author Topic: Speedometer issue - C5 2009 Euro Model  (Read 132 times)

Rockmaga

• Neophyte
on: May 02, 2019, 03:44:49 pm
Hi Guys,

I have got an issue with my motorcyle and will appreciate your advice.
So, I have got a new speedo installed with a new cable and since then it has been a nightmare. The speedo cable broke within a few days, then got another custom made speedo cable installed but  right after the installation, the right indicator stopped working. I checked Fuses, bulb but they were good. Nevertheless. The speedometer was working fine for a while and within a week, the cable broke again BUT the indicator started functioning by itself. Any ideas what is really going on? any help will be much appreciated!! thank you

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:27:53 pm
Cable:
1. Did you lube it well, and what kind of lube used?2. Custom cable? Can you compare it to the original to verify the length is the same? Too long and it can create all sorts of problems from a wobbly needle to wearing out the bushing.
Light:

Sounds like a bad ground or possibly a loose wire at the lamp boot.

If the fuse and lamp are good, do a wiggle check of the wires where they enter the lamp boot while energized. If good work your way back along the wiring and look for a ground.

Wiring seems to always be a weak point on the RE.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Rockmaga

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:37:55 pm

The first time - the speedo and cable was installed by a local mechanic and yeah it was well lubed. The cable and speedo meter was purchased from Hitch Cock motorcycles. The custom wire (only inner) was build based on the cable from Hitch cock and was well lubed as well but it wasn't based on the original cable, i made a mistake by not keeping the original cable when replacing it hitch cock one.

I have re-ordered another cable (this time UK made). Any tips? Also, I am trying to get a back up of all the original cables shipped through India.

Re wiring, I will try again to find the cause but I got really surprised when the speedo stopped and it began to blink.