Author Topic: What kind of tires do you guys recommend?  (Read 3610 times)

icarus

• Bulleteer
on: October 11, 2008, 01:24:41 pm
I still have the original Indian tyres mounted the bike was delivered with last year in Kathmandu. They are fine for now (I'm using the bike at home now = Belgium), but when they have to be replaced what kind of tyres would you guys recommend.
1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:19:19 pm
There's limited selection in the 19" size.

I think alot of people recommend the Avon AM 26 or AM20 series for best grip, but they lack vintage appearance, and don't last as long because they're softer for grip.
Dunlop K70  are quite popuar for all around use. Cheng Shin makes a cheaper copy that have gotten good reviews from some people.
And the stock Avon Speedmasters are not bad either. They last so long that they are normally hardened up before they wear out, and they don't handle well when hard. But, new ones work pretty good. And they do look vintage.
Dunlop K81 TT100 tires are a possibility, but the 19" rear version that's available is a 4.10, and it sometimes causes rubbing on the swingarm. Some people have successfully fitted them though, and I think it's a matter of whether your particular swing arm will have the clearance width needed. It's close.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 02:35:46 pm
I still have the original Indian tyres mounted the bike was delivered with last year in Kathmandu. They are fine for now (I'm using the bike at home now = Belgium), but when they have to be replaced what kind of tyres would you guys recommend.
Standard fitments were Avon speedmasters for U.k./US, did the Indians get something different?
A few years ago I had BARUM fitted to my 250 MZ ( I know how to live!) they were brilliant, wore well, and fantastic grip in wet and dry, I would consider them for the Enfield, that is if I could find any now!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

40Grit

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 04:35:25 pm
The original Speedmasters are actually very good tires. My set lasted about 9,000 miles before the rear was into the wear bars; both were weatherchecked from the bike sitting in an open parking lot 8-10 hours a day for most of the year. I use Avon Distanzias now (Enfield USA catalogue item). They are directional, however, I put my rear on backwards after discussing it with some of the local on/off roaders. I have had them on for two years with about 4,500 miles on - they still have plenty of blocky tread left and seem to not be waetherchecking at all. They are also very good on wet pavement, based on my usage - I don't shy away from riding in the rain.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 04:55:14 pm
While we're on the subject, I noticed this picture the other day. What tire is this? I think it's a Dunlop sport/touring tire. Anyone confirm?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 04:58:31 pm by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 05:03:19 pm
     Use the Avon AM26 in 90/90-19 front and 100/90-19 front/rear. These are great tires and will transform the handling of your bike. Yes we can discuss period correct or price, but these tires bring the Enfield alive. I have ridden Enfields with all manner of tires. These are absolutely the best.
     Slider, this is a custom lacing with a Dunlop. This large expense is possibly justified if you are going for a look. any longer tread life potential would not make up for the additional expense. In terms of handling the Avons are far better suited to the bike.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:10:22 pm
What's a custom lacing? Does that mean tread pattern?

It looks very close to a couple of factory Dunlop tires, but there is an extra groove near the center of the tread so it doesn't match any of them.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 05:32:24 pm
What's a custom lacing? Does that mean tread pattern?

It looks very close to a couple of factory Dunlop tires, but there is an extra groove near the center of the tread so it doesn't match any of them.

My understanding is lacing means a aftermarket rim on a RE hub, allowing for tubeless tires.  I may be wrong......   

I also think that bike has a non-stock swing arm... pretty sweet...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:36:12 pm by Gary-FL »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 05:43:10 pm
     It looks like a 16 inch rim laced with custom made spokes. It is probably a Dunlop D404 tire, but Dunlop has made several similar tires with essentially the same tread. It could not be run tubeless with that spoked rim. And yes, the swing arm and sub frame would have to be modified for the wide tire. Using some thing like this will lower the bike about an inch, but handling would be slower and heavier. Plus that wide cross section takes more horse power to run. This would tend to over work the engine.
     That is one of the reasons British bikes had skinny tires. It is a cheap easy way to horse power. The Dunlop TT100 tire was designed with a trigonic profile so as to minimize rolling resistance. Look at one of these inflated tires and you can see the triangle shape. The point of the triangle is all that touches the ground. The small contact patch was perfectly adequate for the horse power and brakes of that era.The wider triangle sides gave more grip for cornering.
     That is why I recommend the Avon. It is a modified trigonic with a lightly wider contact patch than a true trigonic. What ever you think about the look or mileage the handling will be correct for the Enfield, which is to say really good.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:36 pm
The D404 is the one it looks closest to, but that one has an extra groove that the 404 doesn't have. It doesn't match any of their current offerings, could be an older tire. Doesn't really matter, I was just curious.

Thanks for the info about the lacing thing. So all of the tires sold by CMW are tube-type?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 06:41:43 pm
     The Am 26 is tubeless. You can run a tubeless tire with a tube on a tube type rim. A tube type tire ALWAYS requires a tube no matter what kind of rim it is on.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 08:01:20 pm
Quote from: Vince
Use the Avon AM26 in 90/90-19 front and 100/90-19 front/rear.

The AM26 is only listed in 100/90-19, not 90/90-19. Did you mean the AM20 for the front? Is it also tubeless?

Or is the AM26 available in 90 from another source?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 08:41:56 pm
     Any dealer can order the 90/90-19 from several distributors.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 08:44:41 pm
Gotcha, thanks.

coinzy

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 12:41:45 am
Go with the Avon SM's I say,they handle as well or better than Dunlop's too.Dunlop'sK70's are suitable if you only do 1,000 miles every couple years,very soft and with daily use expect around 3 months use.Popular with the restoring set as they usually cost 75% of the SM's.
the coinz

Ratty57

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 06:37:01 pm
I use the Avon Super venom on the rear, i think the name has changed on them now but i need to replace it soon anyway so i'll let you know the new name. Its about as sticky a tyre as you can get on these bikes and is used a lot in the vintage racing scene but your not gonna get the same kind of miles out of it that you would on a harder compound! Really depends on what your looking for out of a tyre.