Author Topic: New Bullet  (Read 9108 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 03:24:00 am
I am much happier with my current K70s, they just feel less skitty. Also look better,  Only downside of K70s is most sizes are only rated to 90 mph ... not that its a big issue on a standard bullet :D

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 08:27:27 pm
I have a 2013 B5 Bullet. I converted mine to a carb, and put an aftermarket exhaust. Now it runs and sounds a LOT better. The seat is probably my favorite part of the bike. It has been very comfortable over the last 10,000 miles. The only cosmetic thing I don't like about it is that hideous square rear fender. I can't seem to find any information on whether it is possible to put a round fender on it or not. I like the oem tires. No, they do not handle well, but they look the part, and to me that's what the Bullet is. A vintage cruiser. Tube type tires can be deadly on any bike. I spent 2 days inn the hospital once after having a flat on the rear of an early '70s Honda CB750. This was around 1977. It was 115 degrees, my water ran out, I had no way to fix the flat (it would have been easy with a tubeless tire, in fact it probably wouldn't have even happened with a tubeless tire) I actually passed out from the heat. Next thing I knew, I was in an ambulance. They said I had a heat stroke. I was 18. Today, at 60, I have been diabetic and have had stage 3 kidney disease for over 10 years, probably caused from that. I never again rode any distance from home on a bike with tube type tires, and always in the winter, with both a cell phone and a SPOT device. I don't understand why we have all this new technology, but are still using tires that cars quit using in the '40s. They want safe? The best thing they could do by far would be to require all bikes have tubeless tires.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

JD

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 09:33:44 pm
Bullets being about nostalgia, the spoked wheels go with the look - hence the tube-type tires.  I have seen some replacement cast wheels for the Classic that take tubless tires, but the look is kind of weird on a Royal Enfield.

Anyway, BREAKIN IS OVER!  Went over 600 miles today.  Also, put on the new seat and rack from Hitchcock's.  I went with my first impression, the Trials seat in brown - it just looks better and has as much butt coverage as the original.  Shocks are next, I think.  There is a carb kit coming somewhere down the road, too, along with a high pipe and new muffler.

I tried to attach a picture, but kept getting an error.  Will try again later.
2017 Bullet 500
2020 Janus Halcyon 250

JD

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 09:39:15 pm
Maybe this time - I forgot to save the picture after I resized it.  ::)
2017 Bullet 500
2020 Janus Halcyon 250

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 08:38:58 am
I don't understand why we have all this new technology, but are still using tires that cars quit using in the '40s.
The spoked wheels mean the wheel isn't airtight because the spokes fix inside the wheel which means a tube is necessary. You could use tubeless tyres with a cast wheel but then the bike wouldn't look the same. Saying that, BMW have managed to produce a spoked wheel that can take tubeless tyres so perhaps there is hope. I agree that the tubed tyres are a pain. If I had the choice of passing out in the desert or riding home on a flat tyre then I'd just ride home (slowly).
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 02:00:22 pm
The BMW spoked wheels, along with similar wheels on some Ducatis and other brands that are now showing up on their more expensive models, have a solid steel or aluminum rim with the spokes attached to a thick flange along the edge of the wheel rim.  I might add that BMW wants an arm and a leg to purchase their wheels should you ever damage one or have one stolen by the Midnight Auto Supply crew.  :'(  But it does take a crew to carry those wheel off as they are quite heavy. They probably weigh as much as an entire UCE engine, which is why you need a 1200cc engine to rotate them.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 02:38:32 am
As UCEs go, those 2017s are arguably "Best of Breed" in my eyes. There had been time enough to work out at least some of the new model kinks, and I cannot help thinking disk front and drum rear a really sensible arrangement when the rains come. That's a fine looking ride. Congrats!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:41:51 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

JD

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 01:59:26 am
I agree.  I wanted  "new classic" machine, WITHOUT such modern marvels as twin disk brakes, ABS, and updated (i.e. harder to replace) ECU. To me, simpler is better, especially if I will be working on it.

JD
2017 Bullet 500
2020 Janus Halcyon 250

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 06:12:26 am
Well, once that carb kit you mentioned is feeding it, you'll have greatly diminished the ranks of possible future gremlins. Yank out that wonky sidestand cutoff switch and fortify those far too oft breakage-prone battery leads one reads of, and you should have one reasonably "bullet-proof" Bullet there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:04:04 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

JD

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 02:15:36 pm
Sidestand switch was the first thing to go. It was in the trash barrel before I took my first ride. The battery leads are also on the list.  now that I've got the breakin miles on, I'll be moving forward with my project plans.

JD
2017 Bullet 500
2020 Janus Halcyon 250

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 06:54:08 pm
[...Snip!]

I tried to attach a picture, but kept getting an error.  Will try again later.

Not that it matters for you now, but with this Forum system, like many others, one must post a minimum number of times, usually 10, before certain features like attachments or photo posting are enabled.  The "trippy letters" challenges with each login also go off to where the sidestand switches dwell. I really should get into the habit of mentioning these facts in any "Welcome Aboard" messages I may post to Forum newcomers. That photo blocking thing is slightly ironic to the point of almost qualifying as light hazing, since the first thing most newbies here are asked for are pix of their ride.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:39:42 pm by Bilgemaster »

JD

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 02:50:25 am
Unfortunately, I like to take high resolution pictures - the error message I got was that the system was timing out before the file had completed loading in.  It went thru the first time after I had resized the picture file down to a more acceptable level.  Other than that, I've had no problem uploading pictures.  I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience - much like some of the more advanced mechanical stuff I'm learning to do.

JD
2017 Bullet 500
2020 Janus Halcyon 250

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 03:50:06 am
The other relatively standard upgrade "back in the day" was change out the fork oil and replace the shocks.

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 12:45:16 pm

I'm lusting after the Continental GT, but if I were to go for anything else, it would be the B5!  Good looking bike, there.

Minor criticism:  I agree that the rear fender and the superstructure that they hang the stock taillight on is kind of clunky, but they pale into insignificance in comparison to those turn signal lights.  I would have to find something more discrete.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 07:17:45 pm

I'm lusting after the Continental GT, but if I were to go for anything else, it would be the B5!  Good looking bike, there.

Minor criticism:  I agree that the rear fender and the superstructure that they hang the stock taillight on is kind of clunky, but they pale into insignificance in comparison to those turn signal lights.  I would have to find something more discrete.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.