Author Topic: 07 Deluxe fix-up project, ongoing questions inside  (Read 42267 times)

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #135 on: July 10, 2019, 07:57:06 am
Google images of  Royal Enfield Decompressor Assembly  and you will see whats going on.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:17 am
The cable pulls up, but since the Bowden tube (around the cable) stays the same length, it effectively pushes down on the metal disc and spring.  The valve is attached to the metal disc, so while the disc and spring are being pushed down, the valve is also pushed down thereby opening it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #137 on: July 11, 2019, 01:28:18 am
Here's a view from Snidal's book.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: July 11, 2019, 03:19:50 am
The cable pulls up, but since the Bowden tube (around the cable) stays the same length, it effectively pushes down on the metal disc and spring.  The valve is attached to the metal disc, so while the disc and spring are being pushed down, the valve is also pushed down thereby opening it.
This is what I was thinking but when I had it together (like every photo I've found) when I pull the cable up nothing happens.
I've not been able to find any good photos of the cable routing. Does it go outside the fuel tank or 'inside' along the spine of the frame like the wiring harness, etc ?
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: July 11, 2019, 07:34:33 pm
If nothing happens when cable pulled, it would mean:
1)Nipple end of the cable not secured into the valve body (should slip into notch).
2)Bowden tube end not secured into the lever fitting or not secured into the "block" fitting. When tube secured into those fittings, the tube effectively "pushes" on the block and valve.
3) Bowden tube not long enough to engage the fitting in the lever or block end (basically, the wrong tube for the distance between block and lever).

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: July 14, 2019, 07:35:38 pm
Now for the latest on the decompressor cable...
My Hitchcock's cable is pretty much identical t what is on the bike aside from construction quality. Length, fittings, etc all match up. I didn't swap it out as a result. Put it all back together and just spent a lot of time gazing, tugging and trying to figure out what isn't happening.

My deducing led me to 'the cable is too long' which of course makes no sense with another cable that is known good and a match. The bowden cable simply doesn't stay in place. Peering more closely at things I think something may be amiss:

I can see a bit of threaded area where a screw or bolt may go. Am I looking at something broken off the handlebar control?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #141 on: July 14, 2019, 07:51:44 pm
Now for the latest on the decompressor cable...
My Hitchcock's cable is pretty much identical t what is on the bike aside from construction quality. Length, fittings, etc all match up. I didn't swap it out as a result. Put it all back together and just spent a lot of time gazing, tugging and trying to figure out what isn't happening.

My deducing led me to 'the cable is too long' which of course makes no sense with another cable that is known good and a match. The bowden cable simply doesn't stay in place. Peering more closely at things I think something may be amiss:

I can see a bit of threaded area where a screw or bolt may go. Am I looking at something broken off the handlebar control?

I don't claim to know exACTly what's wrong, but I do know this:

As long as you have that exposed cable outside of the housing at both ends, it's not going to work.

The ferrules on both ends have to be snug in their respective sockets. If they're not, you're just moving the cable back and forth.

I don't think you have the little deeely-bob on the end of the cable inserted into its proper place inside the handle bar control.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #142 on: July 14, 2019, 07:55:21 pm
I can't remember what the housing looks like because I removed mine so long ago.

But, you can just take the cable off and use the decompressor in push-button manner to decompress, and the world will go on just fine without any more frustration.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #143 on: July 14, 2019, 08:16:44 pm
... and there's one less lever on the handelbars for neatness freaks!

What is missing from the top of your throttle cable is one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-ACCELERATOR-CUT-BUSH-NIPPLE-PAIR-MOTORCYCLE-PARTS/332101981131?hash=item4d52d213cb:g:P0oAAOSw44BYh3Aq

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: July 15, 2019, 12:23:04 pm
I can't remember what the housing looks like because I removed mine so long ago.

But, you can just take the cable off and use the decompressor in push-button manner to decompress, and the world will go on just fine without any more frustration.
That's what I have been doing. And that is mostly okay but certainly not convenient. I'm the type of person who sees the decompressor lever and is just annoyed by it not working.
I know, your next response will be 'take the lever off'.  :D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: July 15, 2019, 01:25:14 pm
That's what I have been doing. And that is mostly okay but certainly not convenient. I'm the type of person who sees the decompressor lever and is just annoyed by it not working.

Here's one from India that appears to come with the cable hooked up to the decompressor unit. Maybe that (+ the missing split ferrule) would help you since you can't get the cable attached to the decompressor properly.

http://www.almosauto.in/royal-enfield-bullet-standard-decompressor-assembly-with-cable.html

But, then again, it may not come that way. Who knows? And you already HAVE a brand new cable.

Be thankful for ONE thing and that is that you do NOT have the horrible mashup that they came up with in 2008 for MY AVL. I finally removed The Whole Thing from the handlebar lever down including the lever.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:37:44 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #146 on: July 15, 2019, 09:48:48 pm
Just a quick poorly lit pic of my own 2005's decompressor lever's grubby underbelly to confirm that all you'll likely need to get yours working properly is one of those slotted ferrule doodads for the cable housing's end to ride in. Oddly enough I can find no mention of it whatsoever in the official Spare Parts Catalog, although there's also a matching one for the throttle cable.

If you slack off the adjuster all the way on the top of the decompressor assembly screwed into the head, you may get just enough play in the cable in its housing to finesse that slotted ferrule over the cable and into hole in the switchgear housing without disassembly of the whole shebang.

I imagine most semi-decent motorcycle shops could square you away with a suitable slotted ferrule for a couple-few bucks tops. In the meantime, have a good look around on the garage floor. It's the kind of thing that can easily fall off unnoticed and roll under that cobwebby pile of old steamship parts next to those stacks of 8-Tracks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:24:38 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: July 15, 2019, 10:51:19 pm
Oddly enough I can find no mention of it whatsoever in the official Spare Parts Catalog, although there's also a matching one for the throttle cable.

The Parts Catalog has no coverage of the decompressor type that he has that's in the head. It only covers the type such that I had in my 2008 (Pg. 16) which runs a cable down to the tappet cover where it's attached to a through shaft with an attached cam that rotates and jams against the exhaust valve pushrod and holds it in the open position.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #148 on: July 15, 2019, 11:04:21 pm
Sorry if I mis-identified the cable, though Bilgemeaster's photo shows that you are missing something similar.

The E/S switchgear here is a copy of what was fitted to Suzukis of the the period or slightly earlier, only what serves as the decomp lever on your Bullet would, I believe, have been for the carb enrichener/cold start device on the Suzuki.  This was an OK swap for the iron barrel Bullet with the old decompressor valve, but as tooseevee rightly points out, it was a terrible idea for the valve lifter on the AVL models.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: July 16, 2019, 12:24:36 am
Sorry if I mis-identified the cable, though Bilgemeaster's photo shows that you are missing something similar.

The E/S switchgear here is a copy of what was fitted to Suzukis of the the period or slightly earlier, only what serves as the decomp lever on your Bullet would, I believe, have been for the carb enrichener/cold start device on the Suzuki.  This was an OK swap for the iron barrel Bullet with the old decompressor valve, but as tooseevee rightly points out, it was a terrible idea for the valve lifter on the AVL models.

A.

P.S.: For those who may not know, I got tired of the whole thing and removed it all including the handlebar lever. Haven't missed it a bit. I loved it for shutting down the engine and avoiding kick-backs, but, and this is very weird and I can't explain it, as soon as I went to the Pertronix coil and a Champion plug (instead of the NGK) I have not had a single kick-back when shutting down with the key. It just silently stops rotating.

I'm sure the plug is the reason, but I can't explain why.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:28:55 am by tooseevee »