Author Topic: Grinding noise and trouble starting  (Read 9409 times)

jbdrury

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2008, 06:01:05 pm
So I've gone through a search of the forum and am guessing its probably a loose primary chain (I will check/adjust it as soon as I'm near my tools), but I wanted to post a more specific description of my issue to get some more opinions.

I have a 2006 Electra X and recently when I try to start it in neutral (using the electric start)  it sounds like the starter is spinning freely sometimes, so then I roll the bike a bit and try again, it sounds like it wants to start,  accompanied by a grinding noise, but often switches back to the free spinning starter sound.

I have better luck starting it while in first gear. However it also makes the grinding noise, sometimes lapses into the free spinning starter, and sometimes even with the clutch lever all the way in the bike pulls forward like first gear is engaged while the engine begins to fire (I have to stop the bike pulling forward with my legs).

Eventually I get the bike running, but pretty much always by starting in first gear. I have two admissions that might contribute to this problem: 1) I took a motorcycle safety course where the instructor insisted we were always in first whenever stopped (later to find out this is bad for Enfields) 2) I ALWAYS use the electric start.

Thank you for any responses

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:14:55 pm
Wether your primary chain needs adjusting or not, I'm pretty sure that's not your problem.
As for the grinding noise, I don't know. I hope someone else will.
The moving forward is almost for sure the clutch not being adjusted properly.
These are my opinions and I'm sure will be corrected if wrong. In other words keep the jury out, always.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:16:29 pm
 Doubt that the primary drive chain would do that kind of noise, but then again you say you are starting it in gear right?  That does bring up that it MIGHT be the primary.  I think you may have loosened everything up a bit in that case.  Can you kick start it without the noise?  I'm actually leaning toward your sprag clutch, that's basically what connects your starter to the engine as a drive unit.  Is this still  under warranty?  May want to have a dealer look into it before tearing it down yourself.  I would say you need to do something fairly soon or you will probably have nothing when you try the electric start.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:26:10 pm
When you take off your primary cover to check the chain tension, have a very close look at the sprag gears for the electric starting system.

They could be missing some teeth.
They are well-known to break.

If the sprag gears are not broken yet, inquire with CMW about the electrical modification which fixes the tendency of the electronic ignition to advance during the increased electrical load of applying the starter.
In the early Electra X, the voltage drop which accompanies the spinning of the electric starter causes the electronic ignition to advance, causing a kickback which breaks the teeth off the sprag gears during starting. Later ones had that fixed from the factory.
A fix is available, if that is not already present on your Electra. CMW can probably tell you by your serial number if that fix was on your bike when it was sold, or not.
Do it before you break the gears, if you have not already broken the teeth off of them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:30:02 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:35:15 pm
I had the starter spinning without engaging the engine within first 300 miles, but no grinding.
 I filled the primary with a full liter/ quart of 20w-50 petroleum oil, I 'vie heard if you think the clutch is too stiff you can use lighter oil 10w30-40 or a mix of ATF.
 I have not had the E- motor spin problem since adding a full liter of oil nor have I had a stiff clutch lever.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:48:46 am
I have two admissions that might contribute to this problem: 1) I took a motorcycle safety course where the instructor insisted we were always in first whenever stopped (later to find out this is bad for Enfields) 2) I ALWAYS use the electric start.

Uh-oh. I do the same thing. I took a MSFC course in which the instructor also insisted that we remain in first while stopped.  I haven't heard yet that this is bad for Enfields. Anybody care to elaborate?

I also ALWAYS use the electric start. Is this also not good to do? I can't get that kickstart to work for anything, despite how carefully I try to follow all the numerous directions I've seen throughout this forum.

So I'm a little concerned now. I'm sitting at just over 200 miles on my new bike, and I've ALWAYS remained in first while stopped, and I've ALWAYS used the electric start.  Why is this not good?
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 02:06:20 am
Why do they instruct people to stay in gear at stop lights?   And remember "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions".
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:12:04 am
The instructor told our class that it's best to stay in first while stopped because it provides for a quicker and easier take-off, and allows for a quick 'getting away' if someone is coming up too fast behind you (which doesn't necessarily account for whatever traffic may be ahead of you in whatever intersection....)
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:52:37 am
The 4-speed has shown clutch overheating problems when holding the clutch in for extended periods.

The 5-speed is different, and may not have this same problem that the 4-speed has.

My bike is a 4-speed, so maybe somebody with a  5-speed can give some info on that. Theoretically, if the clutch plates are true and stress-relieved, they shouldn't have problems, but it has been seen in the 4-speed bikes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:54:48 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:58:53 am
The  reluctant  operation of the starter is the sprag cluster.

The grinding noise?   could part of the same prob.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:17:27 am
1) I took a motorcycle safety course where the instructor insisted we were always in first whenever stopped (later to find out this is bad for Enfields) 2) I ALWAYS use the electric start.

Thank you for any responses

1.  Well,  I sit at lights in neutral.  I commute on my RE and holding that clutch in for minutes at a time gets old quick.   I also think it might help out in the life of the cable since most of its time under tension would be at lights, as shifting only tensions it for 1 second or less at a time.   I also like the delay that putting the bike in gear gives, I use it to look both ways for light runners and other assorted yahoos.  My instructor told me to sit in first also, oh well.

2. I never use the ES as it hardly ever works.. I wish I could remove the rig and get the cleaner lines of a KS only bike, maybe some day.

Just my .02

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 05:28:36 am
You have to see it coming in the mirror first, pulling the clutch and selecting gear dont take that long,--if you see it coming.

If I have to stop quick at the lights I will pull right over to the left (right in your case).

Actually we have count down lights in Thailand, do you have those in US?
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:58 am
You have to see it coming in the mirror first, pulling the clutch and selecting gear dont take that long,--if you see it coming.

If I have to stop quick at the lights I will pull right over to the left (right in your case).

No we don't wish we did it makes it much better to drive in city traffic with them.  I got hooked on them in Germany back in the mid 90's.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 03:53:12 pm
I had the same problem 2 years ago.

This sounds like lost teeth of the intemediate gear between starter motor and sprag clutch.
If the starter motor is spinning free, remove it (two allan bolts and then pull it out) an have a look inside the hole: You will see the teeth missing.
DonĀ“t drive any longer with lost teeth of gear or sprag clutch because they are in the primery case and could damage everything inside.

Regards
Chris

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 05:50:36 pm
What I believe gets toasted during long "clutch in" periods is the clutch adjusting screw tip. My snidal manual does not show any bearing involved in the clutch pushrod arrangement,so something will be heating up somewhere when the clutch is being held in.  Higher end bikes usually sport a real bearing in this case. Usually the next best is a hardened ball ,and hardened rod tip taking the load. But I believe the Enfield has neither.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 03:23:44 am
I just bought a used 65 for fixing up.  The starter spins, but no engagement.  I removed the primary covers today and they were filled with the sprag teeth and bits of the races that hold them. 

Didn't cause any other damage, but it's definitely something to get to.  Saturday afternoon job.

(I'll never cuss a stuck Bendix gear again.)

- Charlie

1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH
Diesel Enfield abirthing from a 2004 Sixty-5

Motor

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:27 pm

No we don't wish we did it makes it much better to drive in city traffic with them.  I got hooked on them in Germany back in the mid 90's.  Will.

Although the countdown lights would be a no-brainer, here in Houston, Texas, they would go against the spirit of the town government.  You see, our Mayor and Council have opted to enhance revenue in the name of safety by installing cameras that take your picture when you run a red light, with subsequent fine in the mail.  Then, when people become aware, they shorten the yellow warning light.  The result is either a fine or a rear-end collision if you stop fast enough.  All in the name of safety.