Author Topic: What should be the new Himalayan be about?  (Read 3421 times)

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
on: April 23, 2019, 10:29:45 am
I've read a few articles on the new Himalayan but wasn't sure if any were based on truth. The current model seems like a great bike for the world tourer on a budget though it's perhaps a little under powered for faster roads. The idea of putting in the 650 engine would solve the power issue but probably destroy all the benefits of the current bike - weight would go up, complexity would also go up and ground clearance would go down. I then wondered how they could improve the current bike and thought about the following small changes.

Couldn't they just enlarge the current single engine to 500cc and perhaps add another gear for more relaxed cruising on faster roads. They'd probably need to add a slightly larger oil cooler to keep things in check. I'd like them to raise the suspension a bit - the current bike is a bit too small for me and that would solve that issue while making the bike a little better in the rough. Perhaps a slightly larger tank to keep the overall good looks. A better seat would allow my ageing backside to enjoy the increased range. If the fixings are the same then these same bits could be offered as upgrades on the current bike.

Thoughts?

Mike
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:32:19 pm
How about taking the 650 engine and modify to so that both cylinders fire at the same time? That would make it feel like, and chug down a dirt road like, a single.  Of course the chassis would need to be modified for better off-road use.  ??? Perhaps there are good reasons not to do this, but I think it might make for some interesting discussion.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:56 am
I wasn't so keen on the new 650 twin in the Himalayan - it looked like a much wider engine which would make it more difficult to manage off road and this would make it more vulnerable in crashes as well. Having both cylinders fire at the same time would give the right type of power but I guess you'd then need a bigger starter motor to kick it over and a bigger battery to turn it. Might also need a larger flywheel to smooth things out as well. I'm just guessing on these points though.

I have an NC750 which would be similar to a 650 twin Himalayan but, while it's a great bike for on road tours etc, I'm not sure I'd go for a round the world tour that included off road or difficult terrain. In all honesty I'm probably past the point of doing that type of thing but, if I was 20 years younger, then a slightly more powerful Himalayan would be near the top of my list.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 03:14:33 pm
It is not physically feasible to make both cylinders fire at once. The engine has a 270 degree crossplane crank. The pistons are not at TDC at the same time.

Also, there is a counterbalance shaft to reckon with.

While "twingle" configurations have been done by others in the past, vibration is horrendous, and there is no real power benefit from it.

Just not really possible to do it. May as well use a different engine.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:18:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:40:52 pm
Another thing I'd like to see in a "new & improved" version would be tubeless tyres. I know traditional spoked wheels make tubed tyres necessary but they are a pain to fix when you're in the middle of London let alone the Sarah.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 11:59:19 am
I am sure there will be some engine mods for the current engine, to give it more HP. Cams, valves, piston, Powertronic or PCV, maybe a big bore kit. Another 5 or 6 HP would do it for me and that should be easy. And I saw that someone makes a cool silencer for it and that would help all by itself, plus it sounds good. I think I saw it on Youtube. My biggest issue, at 6'1" is the seat is just a little too far forward, or the tank cutouts just a little too far back.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 01:26:22 pm
Another thing I'd like to see in a "new & improved" version would be tubeless tyres. I know traditional spoked wheels make tubed tyres necessary but they are a pain to fix when you're in the middle of London let alone the Sarah.

What are you doing in the middle of Sarah
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 01:50:01 pm
Idly dreaming :)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 06:06:52 pm
Only RE could design this engine to be so under powered. Slight increase in HP and torque wouldn't kill them, plus a sixth gear and problem solved. No extra weight, no need for chassis mods. I agree with most others, the twin would ruin the bike.
Roverman.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 12:07:54 am

Anything you like. That's why they call her "The Sarah"...She's a freaky-deaky sprag!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.