Author Topic: Dropped decompression pin inside while replacing the decomp cable  (Read 4425 times)

Tyagi

• Neophyte
I know i had to be more careful :-[

While trying to replace the decomp wire for Electra 2009 spring slipped and pin dropped inside;
Can anyone please guide me how to fix and extract the pin out. No youtube videos on replacing the decomp wire  :-[.

You learn from your mistakes until to fix them.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Unscrew and remove decompression assembly from head.
Unscrew and remove spark plug.
Start fishing with a telescoping magnet like the one shown below, which are not expensive...With patience, you should be able to draw the fallen decompression valve out of the spark plug hole (which is a little easier to get to than the decompression assembly hole). One of those cheap little USB inspection cameras with a light that click into your phone might help, but is not really necessary.

Good luck!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
If it's the Electra-X (I'm assuming it is as this is in the AVL section) the decomp is actually a valve lifter fitted into the tappet cover, NOT the iron barrel's valve that screws into the cylinder head, unless it has been modified.

The valve lifter lever is on the OUTSIDE of the tappet cover so I am surprised that the pivot pin for the cable might have gone inside the engine. If it's the pin which pivots in the tappet cover which has fallen into the tappet chamber it won't have fallen far, get the tappet cover off and look.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
My apologies: I wasn't sure if the 2009 Electra had an AVL engine in the home (Indian) market, which is where I just presumed the original poster may be from his exotic syntax, what with no locale or other info in his profile. So, I did some Google image searching, and the 2009 Electras that came up yonder all looked like "iron barrels" to me. If his is indeed an AVL, then please disregard my earlier message. The AVL has a completely different decompression system.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
My 2009 Electra is UCE, were both types of engine in production at the same time?

Frank
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:05:55 pm by Boxerman »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
AFAIK The UCE replaced the AVL designs, though the 350 C.I Bullets were still built for the Indian domestic market alongside the UCE bikes until 2010.

Kevin could tell you when the last AVL Classics and Electra-X models were imported into the USA, I believe he also had the last 500 C.I. off the production line in 2009. I guess that would be the changeover year, then!

The Electra EFI was the first UCE Bullet, but the decompressor is different.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
      It was perfectly obvious to me when I read his (Tyagi) initial post that his engine is a UCE with an actual decompressor in the head. It's the only way any part of it could have dropped into the combustion chamber as he means when he says "dropped inside".

There is nothing about the AVL "decompressor" that can drop ANYthing into the combustion chamber.

Bilgemaster's suggestion of the mini-telescoping magnet is good, but Tyagi would also need large amounts of luck to snare it. The elusive "pin" would have to be in just the right place because the magnet, once in the plug hole, would only have a small circle of movement.

Tyagi - where are you? We care! :) What luck have you had?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
      It was perfectly obvious to me when I read his (Tyagi) initial post that his engine is a UCE with an actual decompressor in the head. It's the only way any part of it could have dropped into the combustion chamber as he means when he says "dropped inside".

There is nothing about the AVL "decompressor" that can drop ANYthing into the combustion chamber.

Bilgemaster's suggestion of the mini-telescoping magnet is good, but Tyagi would also need large amounts of luck to snare it. The elusive "pin" would have to be in just the right place because the magnet, once in the plug hole, would only have a small circle of movement. If he's real lucky, the pin will be laying in the center of the piston which (I think) the spark plug hole points directly at.

Tyagi - where are you? We care! :) What luck have you had?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist

tooseevee - the same is true of the UCE: it has no decompressor in the head - nor any "wire," as the OP said, associated with decompression.  It's an automatic bodge of an affair on the exhaust cam... so unless he's got some sort of customization, it doesn't sound like it's a UCE...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
tooseevee - the same is true of the UCE: it has no decompressor in the head - nor any "wire," as the OP said, associated with decompression.  It's an automatic bodge of an affair on the exhaust cam... so unless he's got some sort of customization, it doesn't sound like it's a UCE...

Ohfergod'ssake - you're right. I've had a total brainfart here.

I apologize. For some reason I got a picture of the Ironhead component in my head knowing full well that the UCE decomp device was not in the head.

I apologize for any confusion I've caused. It's been a long, tough winter for a number of reasons. That's my only excuse.   

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
BuckeyeButch kindly posted a picture of his AVL tappet cover (same as the Electra-X) elsewhere in this section.

Re-posted here, hope BB doesn't mind, you can see the cable operating arrangement in his photo.

A.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
           Ohfergod'ssake - you're right. I've had a total brainfart here.

I apologize. For some reason I got a picture of the Ironhead component in my head knowing full well that the UCE decomp device was not in the head.

I apologize for any confusion I've caused. It's been a long, tough winter for a number of reasons. That's my only excuse.   

;D  I wish you were right!  That UCE decomp gave me big headaches...