Author Topic: Just bought a Classic Stealth Black 500 in the US  (Read 4080 times)

zr7ram

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2019, 11:53:54 pm
Hello,

After wanting one for a long time (in the US, have had B5 and others in the past in India) I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Rode it from Nashville to Atlanta and while I made it in one piece, it was brutal.

I am going to India for two weeks and wondering what spares and things to buy for the Classic 500.

I was certainly thinking,
- Cables
- Oil change kits
- Inner Tubes

What other spares do I need to buy?

Where can I get the service manual for this bike? I am planning to do most of the maintenance myself.

I realized that I hate the stock seat on the classic. Will the B5 stock banana seat fit the classic? I rode 5500KMS with my wife in 2016 and that was great. What other seat suggestions do you have?

What else do you recommend that I bring back from India. I will be visiting Bangalore and Chennai.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:56:29 am
Welcome to the forum. Haynes has a manual, a download or print copy. Link below.
9fingers

https://haynes.com/en-us/royal-enfield/bullet/2009-2018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMXqtczi4QIVyFcNCh1vCAOqEAYYAiABEgL9XvD_BwE
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:57:30 pm
Hello,

After wanting one for a long time (in the US, have had B5 and others in the past in India) I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Rode it from Nashville to Atlanta and while I made it in one piece, it was brutal.

I am going to India for two weeks and wondering what spares and things to buy for the Classic 500.

- Cables
- Oil change kits
- Inner Tubes

Where can I get the service manual for this bike? I am planning to do most of the maintenance myself.

I realized that I hate the stock seat on the classic. Will the B5 stock banana seat fit the classic? I rode 5500KMS with my wife in 2016 and that was great. What other seat suggestions do you have?

What else do you recommend that I bring back from India. I will be visiting Bangalore and Chennai.

I'd certainly NOT bring back Indian inner tubes, my bike's original tube left me high and dry one trip. Pushing a loaded Royal Enfield down the highway to a tire shop is not much fun, to put it lightly.  The bike doesn't use an unusual size tire so obtaining a much higher quality (and therefore safer) tube is not a problem.  You can get Michellin heavy duty tubes off of Amazon, or pick your favorite brand via the same provider, or another one for that matter.  Don't know if our host stocks other than OEM tubes or not as I'm down in Coffee Country so haven't ordered from them.

If you can go by a Royal Enfield dealer and get OEM parts, then definitely stock up on cables and oil filters.

You got a nice looking bike, by the way.  Finally got to see one a couple weeks back.  Sure am curious whether that exhaust would fit my Rumbler or not.  I've been working at deleting chrome on my bike for a while now.  ;D
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 04:46:28 pm
Thank you for the manual links and the inner tube advice

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 01:08:21 am

- Cables
- Oil change kits
- Inner Tubes

Most people dump the Indian tyres and tubes for K70s and heavy duty tubes as soon as possible. Shocks often get replaced as well.

Grab some air filters.
You will need to carry a spare plug but forget the Indian ones.

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:59:42 am
In addition to the Haynes manual, you can download a pdf of the factory service manual (Haynes is better, but may not cover latest Euro4 stuff):
http://www.midlandbullets.co.uk/pdf%20files/manuel-entretien-roayl-enfield-500.pdf

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 12:45:27 pm
Glennf, don't the new USA spec C5s come with the British made Avon tires, as mine did? They don't look vintage but they are very good tires. I am in no hurry to change mine.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58:09 am
lets see what would I buy for a 500

red rooster exhaust
pair saddle bags
custom front and rear saddle if you want long distance running

oil filters. yeah ive bought them. they run at roughly $3 each. a pretty good deal

i'd buy whatever I could get my hands on or till I ran out of cash!....lol

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 04:45:14 am
Oh yeah, air filters. Added them to the list

Most people dump the Indian tyres and tubes for K70s and heavy duty tubes as soon as possible. Shocks often get replaced as well.

Grab some air filters.
You will need to carry a spare plug but forget the Indian ones.

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:00 am
Thanks. Done!

In addition to the Haynes manual, you can download a pdf of the factory service manual (Haynes is better, but may not cover latest Euro4 stuff):
http://www.midlandbullets.co.uk/pdf%20files/manuel-entretien-roayl-enfield-500.pdf

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:49:17 am
Ha ha. I will pick up anything that my baggage will allow :)

Custom seat? Do you know if the B5 single seat fits the C5? Anything custom 2 piece in India that you would recommend?

lets see what would I buy for a 500

red rooster exhaust
pair saddle bags
custom front and rear saddle if you want long distance running

oil filters. yeah ive bought them. they run at roughly $3 each. a pretty good deal

i'd buy whatever I could get my hands on or till I ran out of cash!....lol

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 02:00:33 pm
I don't know what it would take to fit it, but recently saw a 500 Bullet with what appeared to be a slightly modified Thunderbird (Rumbler, down here) seat.  One of the things that sets the Thunderbird/Rumbler over the the Classic/Bullet for long haul riding is the seating arrangement.  Also don't know what it'd take to fit the front/rear seats if you want the pillion seat as well.  It might be something to look into.  Should have snapped  a pic of that bike, it was sharp.  A 2016 or 2017 Bullet to which they'd installed a Continental GT piston/cylinder/head and done a few other mods as well.  For the most part I liked the way it was set up (with the carb they were able to adjust it for the good old thumpathumpathumpa idle) and the seating arrangement was WAY better than the stock banana style seat on the Bullets.  You might check for a Thunderbird seat while you're there, then mod it as necessary when you get back.
Paul

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:42 pm
zr7ram, BTW, congrats on the new Stealth and I hope it is a good one. That ride from Nashville to Atlanta, on a brand new bike, must have been horrible.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:43 am
I am in India now. I checked before leaving the US and they did have Avon tires.

I have not gone shopping yet but suspect that I will do most of it this weekend in Chennai.

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 08:04:46 am
It was. Got on the freeway for some pars of it too. Certainly did not pay too much attention to the break in recommendations :))

Seat was brutal after the first 50 miles

zr7ram, BTW, congrats on the new Stealth and I hope it is a good one. That ride from Nashville to Atlanta, on a brand new bike, must have been horrible.
9fingers

zr7ram

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 07:41:21 pm
Back from India. Got a bunch of oil change kits, air filters, cables and this:

https://motowingsperformance.com/

Also in stealth black. Have not installed it yet.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:35 pm
Looking forward to the report after installation.
Paul