Author Topic: Box full of neutrals  (Read 1421 times)

Davross45

• Scooter
on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:29 pm
Evening gents
First post.........
I've recently bought a 350 bullet and love it.
My dad has also bought the same bike after seeing mine.
Riding the 2 bikes back to back has revealed my bike has a tendency to drop into neutral
Between every gear all too easily.
(I just thought it was me)
My dads bike box feels much more precise I almost never encounter a false neutral
Is there anyway to dial out these neutrals with adjustment?
Thanks Dave

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:36:33 am
Are both 4-speeds? Left or righthand shift? If both are lefties, then maybe there's a just bit more slop in your crossover rigamarole than your Dad's, making precise shifting difficult? Could also be a too-tight clutch adjustment or worn fiber or warped metal clutch pad or pads not really allowing the clutch to spin as freely as it should to allow the gears to mesh more easily. Is yours generally "thunkier" when dropping into gear? Might also be something like a worn or damaged selector fork. Are both bikes running grease or gear oil or both in their gearboxes?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Davross45

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:11 am
Thanks for the reply.
Both 4 speed, R/H change.
Both running grease.
Similar age and mileage except mine appears to have had more love in its life.
Mine just feels vague in comparison
It's easy to over shoot a gear and get a neutral.
So going from 4th-3 it's easy to find a neutral then either end up in 2nd or go back up to 4.
Same for 3rd to 2nd.
I have to be very positive with downshifts and I can sometimes feel
What appears to be gears trying to mesh!
The clutch feels fine on both with no slip or drag and smooth power take up.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:02:43 pm
Check this link to Hitchcocks tech notes:

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/content178/albion_gearbox_rebuild_part_4.pdf

This is an article on rebuilding the 4-speed gearbox. The ratchet mechanism is under the outer cover of gearbox.  First check to see that the ratchet springs are not broken. If they are, replacement is necessary.

Part 4 has the replacement discussion. Photo 18 (below) shows the ratchet mechanism and stop plate.  The stop plate can be adjusted loosening the shoulder bolts, moving the stop plate such that the ratchet moves to just the correct spot.  You need to know if when you shift, the ratchet moves just past the correct gear or just before the correct gear. Adjust the stop plate appropriately. Then test, first on the bench, then put it back together for a street test.  When doing this for the first  time, you will likely have to open this up several times to get it just right. Be very patient, if the gear goes past the proper gear on the up shift , rotate the stop plate counter clockwise ever so slightly (1/2 to 1 mm).  If the shift on upshift does not get to the next gear, rotate stop plate ever so slightly clockwise.

If on down shift, the gear does not get to the lower gear, rotate stop plate counter clockwise ever so slightly (1/2-1 mm).

If on down shift, the gear passes the intended lower gear, rotate stop plate  clockwise ever so slightly (1/2-1 mm).

If this does not improve, next check the detent plunger (to be discussed later)  it could be worn or spring broken, or rounded end, or not adjusted.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:07:26 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:03:00 am
Got a 5-speeder myself, so I was kinda hoping some more knowledgeable folks like Davross and Mr. Underhill might happen along. How you set for manuals? I've got a factory service reprint one and a parts catalogue I can scan, if they'll help.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:06:35 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Davross45

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:38:24 am
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much
I'll study this info and try and figure it out!

Bilgemaster I'll message you.