Author Topic: valve noise?  (Read 4753 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 10, 2008, 12:19:55 am
The bike is a 2008 Deluxe. I bought with 80 miles on it from the orig owner, so the warranty is not transferrable.
Ever since I bought it, it has had this loud metallic noise I figured was a valve adjustment. It sounds like someone hitting a frying pan with a coathanger.
I tried again adjusting the valve. barely spin the intake, spin the exhaist but not as free as before. It was a real pain adjusting as it would seem set, then I'd tighten the locknut and the tappet was too tight. Ran it once, and the exhaust seemed loose after I opened the side up.
Still has that sound. Is that what the valves sound like, or is something else wrong? I put the stethescope on it and couldn't determine where the noise was coming from.
In the Snidal and owners manual it didnt seem to remove the valve covers. is that correct?
My insurance is due in a few weeks, and if the bike is going to be down, I may as well cancel the plate until spring.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:58:21 am
How many miles does it have now? 

When I got mine I found this video on youtube.  Is yours worse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-gxBFBp9g4

Mine sounds just like his..  Made me feel better about the clatter.  Also, my bike gets louder when the tank is empty, sorta a built in fuel gauge.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:24:07 am
500 miles.
Louder than that, more metallic. More like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqeZiNKEVU&feature=related
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:04 am
or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIImOUnW7I&feature=related

If thats the way it's supposed to be, I am ok with it. Just want to make sure it's not being damaged. I ran it inside the garage, and that may have magnified the noise.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:50:16 am
I think your ok on the noise.  I guess this is the problem with having a nitch bike,  It's rare to see them in the wild and know their natural behavior.

I believe it will smooth out a little for you over the next 1000 miles or so.   I checked my valves at 300 and then 600 miles,  each time they needed minor adjustment.  Last weekend I did my 2000 mile oil change and checked the valves and they were perfect, a good feeling.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:31 am
You bought it with only 80miles on it?

I wonder if thats why he sold it.

I  was told that running these things in was necessary, I though yeah BS, but It does appear to be true. maybe its had a hard 80 miles.

Piston slap maybe?  on the list of noises valves first piston slap second, but at 80miles  :o
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Billy B.

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:46:58 am
    I have experienced piston slap, especially during warm up and the first mile or so till the piston, cylinder reach normal operating temperatures.  as far as valve noise, I am sure that the original exhaust system blended with the overall mechanical noises to not make it not so apparent. Since we are blessed with these extra quiet bulbous exhaust systems.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 05:18:34 am
You bought it with only 80miles on it?

I wonder if thats why he sold it.

I  was told that running these things in was necessary, I though yeah BS, but It does appear to be true. maybe its had a hard 80 miles.

Piston slap maybe?  on the list of noises valves first piston slap second, but at 80miles  :o

The guy took possession of it at 42 miles (per title) from a premier dealer in WV. The first day he had it, the daughter ran into financial problems so he took it to the pawn shop for a loan, and kept adding and adding until he was too far behind. The guy I bought it from looks for deals from pawn shops and bought it and rode it home. This brought the mileage up to 83 or 84. He had the open title and sold it to me. I paid 4K for it, so the money I saved did a lot of mods and will pay for a lot of repairs if necessary.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:20:07 am by Blue Ridge Wheeltor »
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 03:39:13 pm
FWIW, just turned 5k on mine and I run it 55-60( on the speedo which is 50-55 actual)  on a daily basis since I added the performance 1 kit and the 18t sprocket at 2400 miles. Tappets are checked monthly and are always good. The valve train has made that noise since I got it with 400 miles on it. It is what it is and I dont worry about it anymore. I am going to use the noise as the justification to the wife for a stage 1 tuned head this winter ;D. Roger
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:30 pm
Quote from: sopwithdriver l I am going to use the noise as the justification to the wife for a stage 1 tuned head this winter ;D. Roger
[/quote

Ooooh  thats smart. ;)
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:42:24 pm
The bike is a 2008 Deluxe. I bought with 80 miles on it from the orig owner, so the warranty is not transferrable.
Ever since I bought it, it has had this loud metallic noise I figured was a valve adjustment. It sounds like someone hitting a frying pan with a coathanger.
I tried again adjusting the valve. barely spin the intake, spin the exhaist but not as free as before. It was a real pain adjusting as it would seem set, then I'd tighten the locknut and the tappet was too tight. Ran it once, and the exhaust seemed loose after I opened the side up.
Still has that sound. Is that what the valves sound like, or is something else wrong? I put the stethescope on it and couldn't determine where the noise was coming from.
In the Snidal and owners manual it didnt seem to remove the valve covers. is that correct?
My insurance is due in a few weeks, and if the bike is going to be down, I may as well cancel the plate until spring.

Adjust your valves hot with the exhaust side slightly tighter than the intake or both the same, and see what happens.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:48:00 pm by Peter »

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:59:13 am
500 miles.
Louder than that, more metallic. More like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqeZiNKEVU&feature=related

BRW,
when I got home i listened to the youtube clips. Mine sounds exactly like #2 above here. i think your fine, run it like you stole it and have some fun man. Roger
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.