Author Topic: Changing lanes  (Read 1592 times)

OLD FELLA

• Scooter
  • Retired from racing but not life!
on: April 15, 2019, 05:20:19 am
Thanks for the addition to the forum. I have recently completed 66 orbits of the Sun and have retired from all aspects of motorcycle competition ( in the pits and on the track).
Having decided to slow down (and have a love for simple single cylinder bikes) I purchased a 2014 CGT for AUD$5000 with 4,500kms on it. It is in perfect condition as far as agricultural machinery goes, but it is exactly as I wanted it, raw, functional and fun.
I particularly noted from this forum, the failings of the bike and its assembly/equipment QC or lack of!
Well having a good look, ride and a jolly good shake down I thought " much ado about nothing" , very simple fixes but can be annoying to some ( as can be some competitors that bring their bike back to the pits and complain about serious engine noises and rectified by advising them to insert their ear plugs).
Anyway I digress. Thanks to all the members over the last 5 years that have highlighted problem and provided a 'fix'  - you have made it so easy for me!
I have, in particular, noted and applied the fix to the fuelling problem - a piggyback tuner (PCV) and adjusted the map accordingly. I did read in a post that a member found the 'Start-up Fuel adjustment' in the PCV program - well done sir! This eliminates the need for the bi-starter by adding a % of enrichment for a number of seconds. The ECU is somewhat rudimentary but is satisfactory for this type of application albeit aimed at Euro emissions compliance (lean). For those members that found the idle erratic and 'hunting' - thats the ECU switching from Closed loop to Open loop to Closed loop and so on - the ECU is designed to run in Closed loop during idle, overrun and cruise throttle position (less than 15-20% open) even with the Lambda 'fooler' inserted in the wiring harness. That's why the fuel addition to the cells is necessary to 'mask' the lean condition and remove the hunting. An easy fix!
Anyway enough of the tech talk - I have added a few Hitchcock items, a RE flyscreen (bolts straight on because the 535 and the 650 have the same front ends - not sure about the spring rate though), fuel line using the 'proper' (thanks Guy Martin) FI hose, AGM hi CCA battery, added pre-load to the shock springs, NGK Iridium plug for longevity, NGK 5K plug cap, but not worried about the coil! There is plenty of spark and its not a high comp motor or running exotic fuel so I will save money and not increase the EMI or RFI so close to the ECU (it does happen folks - "mysterious misfire at 8500rpm boss" what was changed last? Coil, 15,000 volt output to a 30,000 volt output - plus an increase in Primary current for the coil - can the ECU handle the increase in current?) My findings as a tech!
So a picture of the thumper as it is after the goodies fitted! Oh and the Hitchcocks electrical cable shroud to cover up the rats nest. BTW - Autotune is a wonderful thing but it adds another 'box' to the system. I have worked extensively with ThunderMax Autotune system on Harleys (for the 'change of life, exchange the wife for a Harley' guys) - replaces the HD ECU and starts from a base map and uses adaptation tables to tune to a specific AFR.
Cheers
Chris

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:30 pm
Nice bike.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48:04 pm
Hi Chris. Welcome aboard. Nice bike you got there, and a bargain, too. Sounds like you're up with the improvements. The dissatisfaction you mention stems from (personally at least) that RE promoted themselves and the bike as a modern product made to a high quality. Which they weren't.  So they attracted buyers who wouldn't have bought an Enfield based on the old reputation of being a tinkerers' device. My experience was also marred by the terrible attitude and skill of the dealer.
Nonetheless, I've sorted it and done many enjoyable and reliable km's.  Hope you do,  too.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

OLD FELLA

• Scooter
  • Retired from racing but not life!
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:21 am
Gizzo, Ace -thanks for the welcome.
Gizzo I can understand the annoyance with complacent dealers and really their failure to correct the faulty motorcycle contravenes the Australian Consumer laws.
The 3 F's, Fit, Form and Function are covered by the consumer law and obviously the 'function' part is what requires fixing. If the dealer is made aware of the problem (and the distributor) then they are required by law to correct the problem. Every person who operates a motorcycle knows how it is supposed to perform, the dealers know how it is supposed to perform - they service the vehicle to keep it in safe and rideable condition plus tge onus is on the owner to provide user maintenance.
The fuelling problem is not a owner maintained task - it is the dealer that is required to perform that task because the fault has been logged with them. Failing to rectify (pass the buck) the fault and blaming the 'factory' is not a valid excuse, just a cop-out - as we all know very well.
The dealer is required to apply the 3 R's (because ultimately they are the place of purchase) Repair, Replace or Refund - this is laid down by the ACCC (in Australia). It requires the owner to approach the dealer and explain the problem and request a resolution. If the dealer is non-compliant then contact the ACCC and provide the information regarding the complaint.
It does work and slack dealers are not acceptable - they will be prosecuted, and have been.
The manufacturers should accept some responsibility also because I am sure they are fully aware of the shortcomings of the model but failing to rectify them!  I see their fix is to discontinue the model and introduce another! I wonder what problems lie ahead in the 650 models- or maybe the 535 owners have sorted out most of the technical problems (production equipment and QA is another problem)
It only takes a word from the importers to say this product is poor and we won't be placing anymore orders until the bugs are sorted out but the almighty dollar again rules.
Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:09:32 pm by OLD FELLA »