Author Topic: need owner's/parts/service manual 2002 re 500 s clubman  (Read 2137 times)

xroads

• Scooter
just got this beautiful clubman from online.
didn't come w/any manuals or paperwork except bill of sale/title.
don't know anything about the singles, but I owned two twins (constellation and interceptor) back in the day.
local dealer is no help, as he came on board after unit construction.
can you point me in the right direction?
thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:21:12 pm
Welcome to the forum.

Didn't see any photos uploaded, so that might help.

First, there was no official RE Clubman model, but Watsonian Squire did a short run of Clubman Specials. Also, Hitchcock had a Clubman body kit for a while. It is likely it is one of those, being a 2002 model.

The Pete Snidal maintenance manual should be a help.

There are many answers here in the archives which can be searched out using the search function. I suspect that will be your best source.

Also, just ask some questions here in this section of the forum. We have already answered practically everything that could be asked, and could still be of some help to a newcomer.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:33:54 am
Watsonian Flyer from 2002 from Classic Motorworks
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:36:27 am
Pic 2
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:37:39 am
Pic 3
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:24:02 am
If it looks anything like Pushrod's mag article scans, then you've snapped up something kinda special there. I like the newer Unit Construction Engine (UCE) Continental singles just fine. They have their own undeniable virtues. But that "Iron Belly" is where I live, so it's swell to learn about a precursor like yours tricked out in a workmanlike manner like that, all hunched over and ready to scrape those footpegs with honest thumpery.

Like Ace said, Snidal's manual should get you squared away fine, and it's a fine read besides. I'll often scan through the odd chapter just for its "knowledgeable buddy" style and to glean the odd finessed operations tip. You can grab one here: http://www.enfield.20m.com/bullet1.htm.

Let's see some pix, man!

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:51:39 pm
squared away

Now there's a masonic expression! (I was never personally taught to be cautious...)

Watsonian-Squire, the old UK importers put quite a bit of effort into making Indian CI Bullets LOOK like cafe racers, shame they couldn't manage to make the things GO like good cafe racers, though others would happily sell you the bits.

When the Electra-X came out they did wake up and smell the coffee enough to offer a go-faster kit, which is why some sported Dell'Orto carbs and shorter mufflers.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

xroads

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:44 am
thanks for all the input.
yes, the pics in the article are exactly the bike I purchased, except mine came w/disc brake on the front. also came w/box of spare parts.
think someone did some work on it as the compression seems to be higher and I note some lockwire here and there.
also has a "dry clutch" which I am unfamiliar with for an enfield. already has an electronic ignition (boyer?).
was actually looking at a 535 continental gt, but this one kinda "took me back" to my early enfield days.
still trying to figure out the wiring on it.  currently a "no spark" condition.  suspect a loose wire/bad ground as it came cross country on a trailer.
will order a works manual via pete and get going on ridning it out on the back roads.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:11 am
thanks for all the input.
yes, the pics in the article are exactly the bike I purchased, except mine came w/disc brake on the front. also came w/box of spare parts.
think someone did some work on it as the compression seems to be higher and I note some lockwire here and there.
also has a "dry clutch" which I am unfamiliar with for an enfield. already has an electronic ignition (boyer?).
was actually looking at a 535 continental gt, but this one kinda "took me back" to my early enfield days.
still trying to figure out the wiring on it.  currently a "no spark" condition.  suspect a loose wire/bad ground as it came cross country on a trailer.
will order a works manual via pete and get going on ridning it out on the back roads.

Dry clutch is the Bob Newby Racing clutch with belt drive. It was sold by Hitchcock and possibly WS. Spares can be sourced from Hitchcock or direct from Bob Newby Racing. Maintenance of the dry clutch requires light greasing of the ball bearings for the clutch drum on a monthly basis because there is no oil in the primary chaincase. The belt is also checked,  but tensioning is rarely needed. Don't overtighten the belt. Adjustment is by shims between the engine and gearbox cases.
Home of the Fireball 535 !