Author Topic: Headlight flickered, now it's gone.  (Read 4192 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 08:06:00 pm
With only 5k on the clock I would say it's just more bad quality control. At least I hope so, I have almost 15k on my 05 and have never given the primary chain a second thought. Usually, that chain lasts a long time with only minor adjustments. It's a miracle you caught that when you  did.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 09:39:51 pm
Quality control would be my first thought, however, if the chain slipper foot was slack, perhaps that could cause some failure mode.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 04:05:20 am
I absolutely was lucky! I just did the alternator and primary chain replacement this weekend. There were chunks of chain and shavings everywhere. The rotor and alternator were pretty banged up and scarred from the bits of chain that came off, but there was no damage anywhere else that I could see. Even the clutch was in remarkably better shape than I'd expected.

I did need a puller for the front sprocket, and I did find that the lock nut under the clutch plates was only on there finger tight (spec is like 40 ft/lbs or something,) but everything otherwise went according to all the write-ups I've read and videos I've watched.

She's back on the road, and better than ever! I even got enough time to fiddle with the carb, and I'm zeroing in on a perfect tune, but that's a rant for another time.

I'm assuming I should check the chain in about a couple hundred miles to make sure it hasn't stretched too much, yes?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:53:17 am
Good going, glad you got it back on the road.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 07:48:23 pm
You are very lucky that you too it apart and discovered the damage before it grenaded and locked up the engine
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com