Author Topic: Valve Adjustment Question  (Read 1904 times)

gabrielburns

• Scooter
on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:03 pm
Hey Everyone,

I recentally joined the enfield comunity,  after many years of thinking about it, i finally bought a 2009 military, broke it in following the recomendations as best i could.  Here is what ive figured out and Im hoping for some advice.  There is deffentally a valve tick, when trying to adjust the valve to .01mm it seems like the gap was not flat like the rocker arm or the top of the valve.  Like either things have gotten worn already or it was ment to be this way.  So when im gapping them it is diffucult to figure out the correct gap.  The ends of the rocker arm looks a different color to the metal like they have either been hardened or somehow been over heated during the brake in.  Im hopeing someone can tell me this is normal.  Thank you for any help you all can be.  And im looking forward to many many more miles...

Gabe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:39:32 pm
Is your valve tick worse than a 100 year old sewing machine going full tilt?  If not I would say all is well.   My impression is there is always some play in the system as to allow for heat expansion and such..

I may be wrong... But at first that is what mine sounded like to me, and now I think its pretty sounding.. ;)

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:13:58 am
Yeah those 2009 models were bad for that.

The 2010 models are much better, Ive had mine for 2 years now. ::)

A tapping valve is a happy valve,--that why they call them tappets!!!

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:38:25 pm
That's why CMW sells a "T" that says, "LOUD Valves, Save Lives"! ;D
I found that the best way to adjust these valves is the "Twirl" method.
Put the piston on T.D.C., take the adjuster cover off, see if there is any up and down play in the push rod, adjust til it's just about nil, push rod should spin free-
The manual tells you to do it cold, although I do mine warm, after everything is expanded, or if I do it cccooollllddd I leave a bit more play.
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)