Author Topic: Universal Silencer  (Read 2499 times)

SuffolkGT

• Scooter
on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:08 am
I have brought a Universal stubby 12" silencer for my GT, its basically straight-through - as it is a Universal design and none RE, before I fit it do I need to worry about the bike overheating etc with a change in airflow, etc?

Has anyone else had any negative effects from fitting a Universal/after-market Silencer to a stock GT?

Thanks

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:54:47 am
I tried a short reverse cone megaphone on mine, expecting the bike to run a bit lean, it actually ran way over rich. It would start mis-firing after about 3-4 miles and the plug was covered in black soot.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 01:05:45 pm
It has caused lean conditions in many cases, so you should monitor the effects it has on the running. Typically a Power Commander or Dobeck Electronic Jet kit is used to adjust mixture with changes to the exhaust.

If it coughs at low rpms when you give it throttle, that would be an indication.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 02:02:17 pm
Going off on a tangent: That looks like its going to be loud. And are you sure it's not going to deck easily? It looks very low.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 06:32:24 pm
Going off on a tangent: That looks like its going to be loud. And are you sure it's not going to deck easily? It looks very low.

How could it be any lower if it attaches to the same header pipe as the original muffler?

He just should lift the end a bit with a different bracket or make the bolt hole oval. That would bring it up
         into plumb with the header pipe. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:05:06 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:18 pm
Like you said, it looks like its hanging down a bit. The bottle shape might make it that bit lower, too. 
Hey, it doesn't bother me, I just thought I'd point it out and maybe save a bit of grief.  These bikes need all the ground clearance they can get. Gives me the willies when the header pipe or side stand decks, the bike jacks up and skips sideways.  Not like the nice feeling when a footpeg folds up.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 08:23:11 pm
I cannot speak as to how one might perform on an Enfield, but I screwed a pair of those cheapo "stubbies" onto my basket case Norton, which came with no silencers at all--just down pipes, and they worked out just fine. They're not even particularly loud, or at least not annoyingly so, such as might attract undue attention from the local constabulary. I got mine new from a superb but now sadly long gone local bike shop and breakers yard in Austin, Texas as basically the cheapest possible alternative. I doubt I paid much more than $20 for the pair in the early '90s. I'd have to guess that there may be many different but similar-looking "stubbies" out there. Mine are straight-throughs, but are narrowed to maybe an inch diameter at center by a sort of perforated cylinder, the contents of which, if any, are unknown. All I can say is that my 750 seems to run sweetly enough wearing them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:40:04 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 08:37:21 pm
I doubt I paid much more than $20 for the pair in the early '90s. I'd have to guess that there may be many different but similar-looking "stubbies" out there. Mine are straight-throughs, but are narrowed to maybe an inch diameter at center by a sort of perforated cylinder, the contents of which, if any, are unknown. All I can sat is that my 750 seems to run sweetly enough wearing them.

That's like the early ('70s?) Sportster muffler I ran on the '08 for a while. Straight-thru, open pipe with a thousand holes.

Do you want it?  :) :) ;D ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48:53 am
           That's like the early ('70s?) Sportster muffler I ran on the '08 for a while. Straight-thru, open pipe with a thousand holes.

Do you want it?  :) :) ;D ;D

Thanks to you, I think I may be set for life with silencers. Maybe Beardo can use it on that UCE he's sorting out for his cuz? I'll cover postage if he wants to give it a whirl.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.