Author Topic: Electra Bobber Build  (Read 4985 times)

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
on: October 02, 2017, 01:51:44 pm
Starting a thread detailing my Electra bobber build. I realize that to some this thread is a sacrilege but for some it might not be. In any case......
"Take your protein pill and put your helmet on."

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 01:52:11 pm
As purchased.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:11 pm
After riding her the first weekend after purchase, I started breaking her down this past it weekend. Removed the seat, tool box, fake tool box on left side, side covers, air intake, pair valve and hoses, tail light/tag holder then chopped the rear fender ( still have shaping/grinding to round it out if I decide to actually have a small rear fender, not sure yet ) and installed a new side mount tail light/tag holder. Waiting on a new head lamp ( low beam was burnt out ) and a pod filter. Thinking about exhaust changes, I know rejetting will be needed with that change and the intake change.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:50:32 pm
Sounds cool- lookin forward to seeing some photos!  (fyi the forum won't allow attachments over 4 MB)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:22 pm
After riding her the first weekend after purchase, I started breaking her down this past it weekend.

When you chuck that giant muffler, remember there's a very restrictive hot tube in the muffler end of the header pipe you might want to cut out.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:49:26 am
No decision on the muffler yet. However, I do appreciate your input, as back flow can be critical not only from performance standards but also from preserving the valves. ????????

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 01:19:42 pm
Coming along nicely, ehd!
I swapped the stock carb and exhaust for a VM32 and the Goldie system. Love the difference in performance.
Please keep posting pics!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:21:44 pm
Thanks. I also will upgrade my carb and exhaust but not until I get to the end of the project. Received my 45mm pod filter yesterday and installed it, headlight arriving today, parts from Baker and TC Bros. won't be here for a week or so, then it's off to a buddys shop for the big work ( detired, despoked, hubs painted, some rewiring, etc etc ).

As for the painting, I'm leaning towards incorporating more of the gold accent. Probably leaning towards Riviera Red on the fork lowers and the chain guard, gold on the hubs and new battery box with the chrome RE hubcap on the rear hub. Fork lowers might be black, undecided at this point. Might even do some gold and black pinstriping on the fenders if I decide to keep them on the bike. Change my mind nightly about that.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 06:06:23 pm
Bullets bobber-ize nicely. Once you have a minimalist configuration the the strong engine shape comes to the fore. Getting the dry weight nearer to 300 pounds matches the modest power output of the motor.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

StillCrazy

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:49:40 am
By lengthening the control arms you can get a rigid frame look but keep the suspension and lower it.
2009 AVL 500 Bullet, 1975 XL175

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:30 pm
After riding her the first weekend after purchase, I started breaking her down this past it weekend. Removed the seat, tool box, fake tool box on left side, side covers, air intake, pair valve and hoses, tail light/tag holder then chopped the rear fender................and installed a new side mount tail light/tag holder.

You'll have 500 idea changes before you're "finished"*, but you can leave that tail light and bracket  :) :)  Nice job 

* They're never finished, are they?   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 05:46:58 pm
exharleydude,
  Not sure of your plans but it appears your dual seat will no longer fit your "fender". Thought I'd mention I have a never used light tan solo saddle for REs that I'd sell for a reasonable offer. Email me at motoguzzibill@gmail.com if interested.
Bill N

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:00 pm
The dual seat bolts onto the rear sub-frame which so far seems to be intact.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

User0

• Neophyte
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:06:31 pm
Hey, I was wondering how your bobber build is going. I want to bobberise my 500 Electra X, looks like a very similar project to yours. Back end would be my first port of call too, looking for a nice short back mudguard. Any tips?