Author Topic: Paint codes  (Read 248 times)

Alan France

• Neophyte
on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:49 am
I noticed on one of the posts some problems with getting paint codes. I wanted to change the color of my red GT to lagoon blue. Its a colour I like. Its on the 350 Classic. I asked all the right people but no one knew. In the U.K. we have BS colour codes and RAL colour charts. These are used by manufacturers and paint shops to match up paint colors. No RE information at all. Back to basics then. I didnt have a Lagoon blue bike to match so went by memory. The nearest color on the RAL chart is Capri blue RAL5019. Fiat use that - Fiat Capri Blue and Halfords do an aerosol ref451/A
The forum has a problem. Punctuation on posts throws it on to Database error. Way round it seems to be no commas etc. Use them and you loose your post .Very irritating.
UK. Alan France
2012 Thunderbird 500 twin spark - black
2014 GT dual saddle - blue
2015 GT single saddle - red

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:12 am
Quite possibly only by coincidence, "Lagoon Blue" is one of the four aquatic-sounding colors that Amphicars came in--those marvelous cockeyed amphibious boat-cars of the '60s. The other colors were Regatta Red, Strand White and Fjord Green (which is what my Amphicar wears). The "Lagoon Blue" used by Royal Enfield may well be an entirely different color than that used by Amphicar...or maybe not.  Below is what a "Lagoon Blue" Amphicar looks like heading into the drink. The color around the hood logo ornament in the oval-shaped inset at top is a pretty fair rendition of the color as I understand it...at least on my monitor. For what it's worth, you'll find the Ditzler/PPG codes for all four colors in one of my postings from 2001 in the old 'Amphicar Lovers Forum'--then, as now, posting as "Bilgemaster". 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:01:30 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Alan France

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:53:57 am
An amphicar?! Wow you have one of those? I thought they all sank! Great car based on Triumph herald mechanicals. There is a white one in the Lakeside Haverthwaite museum . Anyway RE lagoon blue is not that colour . It is darker. Checking out a couple of RE Classic 350s in India I think the Fiat colour is slightly too light as well but it is near enough. Anyway as the GT is no more we wont be getting a production one but the bike suits the colour. No idea how you post a picture of it. Struggling to do any sort of post!
UK. Alan France

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:12:45 am
An amphicar?! Wow you have one of those? I thought they all sank! Great car based on Triumph herald mechanicals. There is a white one in the Lakeside Haverthwaite museum . Anyway RE lagoon blue is not that colour . It is darker. Checking out a couple of RE Classic 350s in India I think the Fiat colour is slightly too light as well but it is near enough. Anyway as the GT is no more we wont be getting a production one but the bike suits the colour. No idea how you post a picture of it. Struggling to do any sort of post!

Yeah, I've had an Amphicar since the mid-'90s, when they were still quite affordable toys for the mildly impoverished but single-mindedly demented Joe Sixpack likes of me who saved his pennies. I probably couldn't touch one nowadays. And you're right about the engine. It's pretty much the same little four-banger used in the Triumph Herald and Mk. I Spitfires. The other bits are quite different though. It's a real international hodgepodge: German transmission, Dutch props, some British electrics...

As for those Forum posting woes, they derive from the recently-"upgraded" system's misconfiguration during installation, so that it's only able to understand the most basic characters as found on a U.S. Windows keyboard circa 1999. Your British keyboard's fancy "curly" apostrophes and other seemingly normal characters like dashes and slashes give it indigestion. Your commas should sail through OK though. Suffice it to say that the powers that be have now been made aware of the problem, as described in this recent thread. Frankly, what with our host's bread and butter online parts ordering systems on the ropes, I imagine they'd want to sort that out first in order to be able to pay some bills.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:15:57 am by Bilgemaster »

Alan France

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:39:32 am
Thanks for that. I clear the post now of everything . Apostrophes seem to make it go to database error.
The amphicar was a must have for the jet set. I remember it being launched literally. A quirky car and a child of its time. I have a Dolomite waiting my attention.
As for paint codes RE should be on top of this. Its basic stuff which should not be guesswork. Who knows amphicar lagoon blue could be Capri blue. The sun in Dehli is brighter than Doncaster so its difficult to memorize shades
UK. Alan France

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:50 am
Just had a thought: How does this very rare Norton Manxman's polychromatic blue grab you? One of your countrymen who goes by the YouTube handle "My Ty" living in our northwestern state of Oregon is working hard to match it. Details here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sKvLsdQofo8.

Alan France

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:14:51 am
Commandos are more my thing.Best bet is Roger at RGM or Norton Andover. Avoid Norvil.Nice colour. I have an early cb450 in a similar shade. 60s Hondas ranging from 175 cc up came in a similar shade but whether its exactly right I couldnt say. Spell check is a pest with this forum. It doesnt like the iPhone either. Bored with typing stuff out two or three times!  Now the post button freezes!
UK. Alan France