Author Topic: B5 or C5?  (Read 7746 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: March 11, 2019, 01:51:38 am
So if you guys had a choice between a new, (old stock), 2017 B5 or a 2017 C5, and the cost was exactly the same, which would you lean towards?  I suppose it's mostly a choice of style since they are so similar.  The B5 has that 19 inch rear wheel helping to make the seat height 1 inch taller.  The banana double seat on the B vs the single seat on the C.  And the B has those beautiful hand-painted stripes vs the simple solid colors of the C.

Any thoughts?  I'm trying to decide.

Thanks.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:11:50 am
C5 Hands down
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Cat3625

• Scooter
  • My need for speed
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:11:39 am
Single seat is a literally a PITA after an hour of riding on my 2016 C5 ????????????
1966 Continental 250 GT
2001 Bullet 500 k/s
2002 Bullet 350 Trials
2008 Bullet 500 Classic electric start
2016 C5 Military 500 efi
2019 Interceptor 650
U.K.🇬🇧

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:26:51 am
They should supply you with a matching pillion pad for the Classic that allows you to take passengers - it originally came with the bike. Mechanically I think both bikes are almost identical. If you're commuting on the bike then both bikes work fine. I prefer the models with dual brakes front and rear but you might not have that choice. If you're planning on going on long tours then the Bullet probably has a better saddle and it's probably easier to put on panniers etc. Looks wise I much prefer the classic and that's why I bought it.
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:29 am
Sit on both of them for as long as you can before deciding, and take any seating recommendation with grain of salt - for every one of us here with an opinion about seat comfort, I can readily point you to someone else with an opposing opinion...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:24 pm
I like the looks of the C5 because I prefer the look of the single seat over the banana seat on the B5. But I think the B5 is more practical for daily riding and my bike's seat is quite comfortable for both the rider and a passenger. Plus, it does make it easier to throw a set of soft saddlebags over the seat.  It is nice to have a choice, so pick the one that rings your bell.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:51:25 pm
I would pick the B5.

It is closest to the actual vintage Bullet.

The frame is proven, and you don't see the occasional frame cracks on the B5, like have been reported and shown here with some C5 bikes. There have been no handling anomalies reported from owners of B5 bikes. It has the 19" wheels like the pre-unit Bullets which have served well.

You can put a single sprung saddle( and even a pillion pad) on the B5 if you want that look.

I agree that the C5 is attractive for the look on the showroom floor, but the difference in cosmetics can be simulated with a B5. I believe based on the record that the B5 is a more solid choice for a riding bike.

My 2 cents.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:12:32 pm
Personally, I'm a functionality kind of a person. And it most indeed comes down to the 19" wheels for me. That's not just an aspect to gloss over. Larger wheels cope better with bad roads. I know some may scoff. But I live on a rutted dirt road. It does make a difference.
2000 Bullet 500

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:23 pm
You can put a single sprung saddle( and even a pillion pad) on the B5 if you want that look.

I agree that the C5 is attractive for the look on the showroom floor, but the difference in cosmetics can be simulated with a B5. I believe based on the record that the B5 is a more solid choice for a riding bike.

I put a sprung solo "Lycette" seat on my B5, not just for looks but because I found the B5 bench seat unbearable.  That solo seat turned it into an all-day rider for me.  I put a luggage rack on the back, which attached to the rear mounts for the bench seat, and some clamps around the fender stays at the front.  The rack worked a treat, and it came with a basic pillion pad, which I admit I never used.  If you end up with a B5 and want the rack, I'm not using it...

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:31 pm
I put a sprung solo "Lycette" seat on my B5, not just for looks but because I found the B5 bench seat unbearable.  That solo seat turned it into an all-day rider for me.  I put a luggage rack on the back, which attached to the rear mounts for the bench seat, and some clamps around the fender stays at the front.  The rack worked a treat, and it came with a basic pillion pad, which I admit I never used.  If you end up with a B5 and want the rack, I'm not using it...

That is a beautiful set-up you have there and exactly the way I would want to set up a B5... with the single seat, bar-ends and headlight visor.  If I end up getting one, I'll probably bug you for more details.  Thank you for the info.

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:15 pm
Personally, I'm a functionality kind of a person. And it most indeed comes down to the 19" wheels for me. That's not just an aspect to gloss over. Larger wheels cope better with bad roads. I know some may scoff. But I live on a rutted dirt road. It does make a difference.
I also like the idea of the 19 inch wheels.  I too live in a place where the roads are just as often dirt and gravel as they are asphalt, (which is why the Himalayan still tempts me).  But do you think having a larger rear wheel makes a difference in those conditions?  I know the front does, but how about the rear?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 04:17:50 pm
That is a beautiful set-up you have there and exactly the way I would want to set up a B5... with the single seat, bar-ends and headlight visor.  If I end up getting one, I'll probably bug you for more details.  Thank you for the info.

Happy to help.  At 6'2", I did look a bit of a circus bear on a bicycle, but I really could ride it all day!

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:05 pm
ACE said it all. I picked the B5 and never regretted it, i'm not a solo saddle guy anyhow.
Roverman.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:36 pm

Single seats on a B5 are relatively simple.  Pretty much any iron barrel seat will fit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:26:58 pm by GlennF »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:21 pm
Love my C5, fits me perfectly, could ride it comfortably forever. 8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:37:18 pm
The only issue I ever had with the B5 (aside from the shopping trolley tyres that got scrapped for K70s) was the thin Bollywood tank badge that are an imitation of the heavy brass chromed badges on 50's enfields. Many people like them as they give the bike a distinct "Indian" flavor but I felt they looked cheap.  I replaced the flimsy OEM badges with a couple of brass aftermarket badges which with a lot of gentle bending and persuasion eventually fitted quite well. I had originally intended to chrome them but stayed with plain brass in the end.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:42:20 pm by GlennF »

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:43:29 pm
The only issue I ever had with the B5 (aside from the shopping trolley tyres that got scrapped for K70s) was the thin Bollywood tank badge that are an imitation of the heavy brass chromed badges on 50's enfields. Many people like them as they give the bike a distinct "Indian" flavor but I felt they looked cheap.  I replaced the flimsy OEM badges with a couple of brass aftermarket badges which with a lot of gentle bending and persuasion eventually fitted quite well. I had originally intended to chrome them but stayed with plain brass in the end.

I would love to know where you got those aftermarket badges from.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:15 pm
I would love to know where you got those aftermarket badges from.

One of the Indian after market suppliers. Cannot recall  exactly which supplier They all have ebay shops. Generally they are slow but things eventually turn up. Watch out for low sell prices and stupidly high freight.

Here is a random example a quick google search turned up:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Royal-Enfield-Brass-Petrol-Tank-Decal-Badge-/263924816245

Note that they are not precisely the right curvature for a B5 tank and need bending slightly. Brass is brittle when cold so if your not confident with metal work you may want to budget for having a local engineering shop heat them and bend them for you. I was able to bend mine cold with out applying heat but the general consensus is anneal brass by heating to to just red and let it cool before bending it. useful thread - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?81225-Bending-brass
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:08:31 pm by GlennF »

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:56 am
Me, I'm a C5 man.  I can clearly remember my jaw hitting the table the first time I layed eyes on one back in 2009, resplendent in sky blue. Good Lord, I was in love.  Finally, a motorcycle that looked like a motorcycle!

My C5 is a late 2014 model and I've had no issues with cracked frames etc. That sprung saddle suits my fat American arse just fine for a reasonable day's riding.  I never once parked it up without turning my head back to have a look. I love the looks of a dark green B5 with a bench seat as well but for different reasons.  Maybe it's time for one of each?  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 12:57:39 am

Just chiming in to say that that's a FINE looking little tourer you've cobbled together there. Is that Boothbay Harbor? That looks like the library there in the background, just a tad "off-season". That's some fine Enfield riding around there. Seriously though--sweet ride! I think I may have the same saddle on my "Iron Belly", with a sprung pillion one behind instead of the nice rack. I make do with the pannier rack and its single cross piece for toting biggish stuff.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:23:31 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:10 am
So if you guys had a choice between a new, (old stock), 2017 B5 or a 2017 C5, and the cost was exactly the same, which would you lean towards?  I suppose it's mostly a choice of style since they are so similar.  The B5 has that 19 inch rear wheel helping to make the seat height 1 inch taller.  The banana double seat on the B vs the single seat on the C.  And the B has those beautiful hand-painted stripes vs the simple solid colors of the C.

Any thoughts?  I'm trying to decide.

Thanks.

Go with what your heart is inclined towards. Seems like you answered your query yourself to some extent.

Re. tyres, you can upgrade to the 19'' wheels on the C5 too if you wish.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:47 pm
Hey JVS.

It's surprising how sleek no grab rail makes your B5 look in that pic. I might look at doing the same thing to mine :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:40 am
Hey JVS.

It's surprising how sleek no grab rail makes your B5 look in that pic. I might look at doing the same thing to mine :)

Agreed.  Also, that's not the same seat as the one that came as OEM on my 2011 B5 - it's got a different profile, less of a step between rider and pillion position, and it just looks softer somehow...

JVS's:

One just like mine:

To say nothing of JVS's sexy curved header!   8)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 03:05:42 am
Yeah the straight header on newer Enfields is a bit modern, those curved headers are sort of reminiscent of earlier Enfields or a 50/60's Matchless or AJS. They do look better.

However if we had to have straight headers I would definitely go for the slanty headers commonly seen on the Manx rather than what we currently have.

ALSO ... with regard to the seat, you can lower the stock bench seat by almost an inch by modifying the mounts so it sits closer on the frame. Here is a photo of my B5 with a lowered stock seat (the photo predates the later change to a single seat).  The difference is subtle but noticeable. 

Another option would be to fit a 60's replica  flat dual seat.
https://www.britishbikebits.com/dual-seat-royal-enfield-250-350-750-1962-66

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:07:42 am by GlennF »

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 09:56:43 am
Hey JVS.

Hey CW. Yes, it certainly makes the difference  :D Do try it.

Agreed.  Also, that's not the same seat as the one that came as OEM on my 2011 B5 - it's got a different profile, less of a step between rider and pillion position, and it just looks softer somehow...

Yup, I bought this seat (for the old CI Bullets) which has a much smaller step from one of the E-bay sellers. It is somewhat softer but not by that much. Hitchcocks have a similar slim dual seat specially for the B5. But it is damn expensive.

Yeah the straight header on newer Enfields is a bit modern, those curved headers are sort of reminiscent of earlier Enfields or a 50/60's Matchless or AJS. They do look better.

Curves are good  ;)  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:30 pm
I prefer the B5,as the stock seat on the C5 is very uncomfortable,for me. Also I just like the looks of my B5. You can change the seat on either one.
Lynn