Author Topic: Stock Headlight Improvement  (Read 2680 times)

Wintrup

• Scooter
on: March 05, 2019, 11:37:07 pm
Coming home in the dark after I bought my REH was as hairy as an experience as I've had on a bike in a few years. I had to navigate pitch black, winding, country lanes with only high beam as just adequate to illuminate my way. The throw of dipped beam was so poor I could hardly see the road ahead. I had to use high beam even with oncoming traffic. Now, having ridden at night a few times more, I'd say the high beam acts more like a dipped beam. Not good enough and totally unsafe.

So, I've been researching various options. The first, an LED headlight, which is hardly more expensive than a LED bulb. The thing is, though LEDs can be much brighter, they are not much fun for other road users or pedestrians. Most LEDs have unnatural spikes in the spectrum and are not as balanced as filament bulbs. This makes them painful to look at and causes eye strain, one reason I won't use them in my home and have the monitor dialled down by using Redshift.  The next option would be LED driving lights for use only when on the country lanes at night and switchable from the handlebar. I might go this route. For the time being I've ordered an Osram Night Breaker Laser, which has meant to have a good throw. I'll update when I've fitted and tested it. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:46:07 am by Wintrup »

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:34:15 am
I opted for the led headlamp after trying various bulbs, led and normal, headlamp on the classic very restricted  as to bulb type due to speedo cable fouling bulb connector.
Also backed up with a pair of led spotlights.
Night riding now much improved
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:05:51 am
What size headlamp unit does the Himalayan use? You might be able to find an aftermarket one with a better beam pattern if you don't want to go down the LED route.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:15:18 pm
Something is off with your bikes headlamp. I live on a dirt road and the lamp on my bike lights everything up. My brother in law, who is hard to impress, even commented on how bright the lowly halogen bulb was. And to be clear, I'm talking the low beam.

Maybe pinched wire, corrosion, etc??

New parts can be suspect to failure also.
2000 Bullet 500

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:11 am
Are you sure its not just badly adjusted ? 

For example if a previous owner adjusted the headlight for correct lighting with a pillion passenger it would tend to be too low when just solo.

Wintrup

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:55:46 pm
Are you sure its not just badly adjusted ? 

For example if a previous owner adjusted the headlight for correct lighting with a pillion passenger it would tend to be too low when just solo.
It possibly was, but with 2k on the clock, I don't think the previous owner did anything. Just maybe set low by the factory. Anyway I've adjusted it a little higher and fitted an Osram Night Breaker and it's made a difference. Also I'm in the process of fitting a pair of LED driving lights, so hopefully those country lanes will be well lit up. I'll report back when I've finished.

Wintrup

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 10:15:38 pm
LED spots fitted and tested. I rode around the dark lanes where I live and, good grief, it's about as good as it gets. Very pleased.