Author Topic: FULL REVIEW ON THE 650 INTERCEPTOR WITH PHOTOS AND THE HONEYMOON REPORT  (Read 20668 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Sorry to hear of this problem WildBill, it sounds all too familiar... My 2015 C5 cap had key issues too but eventually would open, then you had to fight to get key out. The other problem was severe leakage when I tipped the bike one day. Fuel just dumped down the side of the bike like there was no cap at all.

Soon as I got home I ordered the Hitchcocks non-locking screw on coversion kit, which I instantly fell in love with.

I have just been waiting to hear that this cool looking cap was also crap.  If an alternate non-locking cap can be found I want it.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Ah, the joys of being an early adopter of a new motorcycle model.  :(  If you can't find any other solution, you could use a slide-hammer to pull the lock mechanism out of the gas cap and then find a non-locking cap to replace it.  I wouldn't be too surprised if a Bullet cap would fit. The cap that I have on my B5's California-model sealed gas tank does not have a lock.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
some idiot in aust just offered me $7700 for it- id rather smash it than take that or I could just get a new cap and ride on ...lol
still cant work out why the cap opened a couple of times then nothing.
by the way don't get me wrong I think this is really the best bike enfield has built and they run really well
the buy and sell means nothing to me. but i'd like to sell not have it stolen...lol
anyway if tomorrow I can get the locksmith to get the cap off I might battle on to the 1000 klm mark

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
plus it wouldn't hurt if I at least say thanks to all the above comments which I forget - and look at this slide hammer idea to get the cap off!
I will have to google it

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Bill, I forgot all about the cap on my Versys freezing up. First ride of the season and I'm 75k from home the the cap will not open at all...can't even get the key in. it was corroded tight and I didn't have enough gas to get home. The guy at the gas station has some WM-40 and a few shots of that and working the key in and out and back and forth and it opened and I was good.

So you might try a shot of WD-40 ot Loc-Eas I do so on all my locks before I put the bike up for the winter now. I do learn...may take a bit but I do learn. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
My theory is that one of the tumblers fell out of the lock cylinder, if it was working properly before.  I guess you just can't get good locks in India anymore.   ;)

I am pretty sure that a locksmith should be able to sort out the problem. I just hope that a lock tumbler hasn't fallen into the gas tank and is resting on the bottom of the tank. Fishing it out would not be easy. If the locksmith can't remove the cylinder and repair it, a slide hammer can yank it out.  Thieves do it all the time in big cities when they want to go for a joy ride on a motorcycle parked in the street.   >:(

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
hopefully this may be a reserve hit if the locksmith fails to produce. meanwhile its been quite some time since I have been on the c5 I should take it for a short burst to see how it runs...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
after the cap incident I was prepared to let it go- actually have  or had the sale too . in fact two  interested parties.
but luck was against me this time.
rang the dealer who rang the importer/. bike has to go in and get new gas cap and key/new ignition key and harness/new side cover keys etc-special order from india no charge to me.
so whats really annoying about this
well I had rung the rolex dealer earlier and was about to drop a deposit on a $18000 watch to celebrate the moving out of the interceptor-but it looks like that's not going to happen now.
plus the locksmith failed to show up to do the cap release so that's how hard he thought it was to get it off after the other day.
some days its a hard life at wildbills but th party is not over yet!i still am waiting for a call from the importers of the bike

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Hi,
I am sorry to hear of problem with fuel cap lock, but these things happen and dealer is  going to fix under warranty .
Putting it for sale seems a bit extreme so soon into your ownership, especially after the glowing reviews you have posted.
Give it another chance  and keep smiling.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I had another thought for anyone who experiences this problem in the wild, with no other options.  I bet you could jam a screwdriver into the key slot and use a pair of pliers on the handle for leverage to turn the screwdriver and break the lock tumblers so that the cap can be removed.  Beats walking to the nearest locksmith.

(I know a lot about how to break things when trying to repair them.   ;D  )

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
I have had this issue on and off on a few bikes and cars over the years.    In the end it was cheaper and easier to just have a different key for the fuel cap though as its a warranty issue they may as well replace the lot I suppose.

Wildbill it seems to me you may have jinxed yourself with your "the interceptor is too reliable and does not need enough tinkering" comments in your vids :D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
sold and ready for collect-

following my talk with enfield australia the new owner will drop the bike off at some dealer and get new gas cap and key/plus ignition barrel and side cover keys all free of charge

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
glennf

i think you may have nailed it...lol

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
bike sold!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
btw now the bike has gone I can talk freely about it as I no longer have it.
any-one thinking of buying one-go ahead as they are a very good bike. sure I had a gas cap problem but that was not the real reason for the sale but was a part of it...lol
ive been chasing a watch with a two year wait list and finally and it took some work and I just got upgraded to under two months and could collect it any day.
its far harder to get than an interceptor which if I decide to buy again I can buy anytime as I am on a priority list with enfield and will be advised when the chromes arrive.
now how do you get on a priority list...you buy lots of bikes!
but I don't think I will go down that road at this stage
the watch first then worry about anything else.
so have no fear if the 650 is on your list go for it as it is a very good and well behaved bike  but after I rode it a few times take my advise-its does feel more like that honda cb500x I sold after a few weeks of ownership
that was a new bike too. reason being it did everything so well it sort of became a bit boring. this new 650 is not like any of your previous enfields and will surprise all - its more a jap bike clone now or that's what I think.
in fact I actually think its lost its indian character but some might think the character it lost was really not that important and much for the better...lol