Author Topic: FULL REVIEW ON THE 650 INTERCEPTOR WITH PHOTOS AND THE HONEYMOON REPORT  (Read 20602 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
LOOK OVER AT THE BIKE

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:25:58 am by wildbill »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:22:31 am
NEXT

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:29:08 am
NEXT

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:31:30 am
FINAL TWO

FAVOURITE SHOT!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 01:02:10 am
Wonder what's happening with the engine case paint along the front edge of the engine?

I see you're riding with your bouncy jacket now...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
maybe it shit itself after that near miss with that close call on the wallaby -I know I nearly did!...lol

sceptr

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:56 am
Wonder what's happening with the engine case paint along the front edge of the engine?

Looks like gasket/sealant material. Over exuberance in the factory?

BikingTim

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:35:56 am
NEXT

Yup, there is the banjo, as offensive as ever!   ;)   I would yearn to replace it.

How woul you feel about waddling your bike backward across a slick carport floor?  Would your shins
hit the pegs or would your calfs hit the pegs?  In the various YouTube reviews, hitting the pegs
seems to be a common problem, and I would be afraid of my foot slipping while waddling the bike because
it had to be so Out There to avoid hitting the pegs.  A neighbor slipped doing that with his Triumph Triple
and pulled a groin muscle so badly that he had to be carried to an emergency hospital.

BikingTim

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
say you are in runners- the pegs protrude 1 foot above ground level so hit the calf area of the leg.
I tried the shuffle idea two ways. one legs to the near outer side of the pegs and the was alright but then I took a closer look and decoded I could do a mini walk if I placed my legs behind the pegs and it worked well and pretty easy and drama free

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead

RIDING THE 650 INTERCEPTOR!!!

BY: WILDBILL

A few days ago I purchased the new Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor in the colour scheme of Ravishing Red. Three days down the track I am still happy with the purchase and that choice of colour too...LOL

This new bike from Enfield I must say is truly a credit to the company and is far better than I had anticipated. The fit and finish to the bike is better than on my 018 C5 but saying that I think my 018 plated Classic is pretty well finished off anyway. Far better than when I originally bought bikes from the earlier years.

FIRST IMPRESSION

The bike is very pleasing to the eye. I love the look of those big duel upswept exhausts and how they tilt skywards...Some may say Norton commando style! Plus that big chunky motor give the impression you DO have a worthy power plant to play about with which i can assure you as of writing - is correct.

I also love the styling of the tank with its Monza style flip lid and reminiscence of a bit of '70s styling I say. I also like the fact that they included the Speedo/tacho separate rather than housed or threw them all together. Although just as a visual -A kick starter would have been a nice addition or a better still working option. Even better an optional extra.

The patterned seat caught my eye in various promo shots and at first I didn't like it too much-but in real time it's not too bad on the eye at all and get use to it fine.

START UP

With just a turn of the ignition key and a duel sweep of the instrument needles you press the starter. The bike breaks into song immediately and I repeat immediately -no hesitation no second crank -it's instant! Simple as that.

What is more amazing it doesn't even think about settling into an erratic idle. it has scored the magic number first off and its magic is purring away in the tune of a good swiss watch. Maybe not Rolex quality but a pretty good quality regardless. Just thought I'd throw that one in...LOL No crap hunting for the ideal mixture either unlike other Enfields - it's spot on first time and ever time!

Grip and blip the throttle and you get an immediate burst into song as the 650 comes to life and a pretty satisfactory growl to boot from the factory duel exhausts - sort of like music to your ears. Well let's say music compared to the zappy sewing machine buzzing from my factory tired C5 exhaust system.

Actually I think you could just live with these factory exhausts and forget about upgrade. that may or may not happen but they are fine in stock for. far more enjoyable that the other offerings from the UCE stable range.

RIDING EXPERIENCE

Once you straddle the seat on the Interceptor the first thing you find which is rather strange or strange when coming from a C5 is the peg position layout. Once seated they are directly below your hip. Where on the C5 they are in a more forward position.

Once mobile and at the very first corner i had to stop to give way to a car. It actually took me quite a while to take off as i couldn't find the gearshift lever due to the odd angle...LOL After a while or several changes later it becomes much easier or second nature. You soon learn to position and point your toes in towards the motor. After that it becomes a no brainer.

The bike is unreal. that sums it up in pretty quick UNREAL! I have pulled away from cold starts a few times now and stopped and rode off again ...with not a hic-up! A faultless fuel delivery system and absolutely no surging or any other crap associated with C5 fueling type issues what-so-ever.

I've ran the bike a bit over 100 miles of stop/start running to do the camera work and it has started first time very time -drama and problem free and very hard to believe that at times ...I am riding a Royal Enfield...A new release model at that!

No doubt a huge amount of $$$'s went into the fueling side of this bike to get it right. More important the money was well spent and get it right they did. Fueling on the C5 is very poor compared to this baby!

GOOD POINTS.

I would put the Interceptor's fueling as the very best point on the bike but saying that there are so many other good points it's just personal preference here. So why did i choose the fueling. Well the C5 fueling is really poor delivery from cold especially when compared to how this bike delivers the goods

It's a real pleasure to get on from a cold start up and ride off and not get jerked about and so on and forth and when you apply the throttle it just takes off nice and smooth -doesn't bog or carry on and does what it is suppose to do or was it designed to do. None of that surging or chain slapping and carrying on. Just perfect!

ENGINE

The motor feels great and that jump from a 500cc single powerplant to a 650 CC twin may only be an additional 150cc extra but that also added an additional 20 ponies to the equation. Over-all it's a great motor with bags of low down torque and pulls stong in the lower gear. I have not really tested it in all its full glory but i can assure you -it's a pretty peppy affair!

SLIPPER CLUTCH.

What can i say ..what a great feature on an Enfield! Just a tad lighter on the pull than say on my C5 Classic BUT man can it chew through the gears...Well take it from me - you bet it can! Plus it's lightening fast on the down changes .

On one section of highway running I was cruising along at 60mph in 6th gear and in a matter of seconds dropped to 2nd gear to do a sharp left hand turn. The shifter ran down through the box to 2nd gear like a hot knife through butter as I powered around the corner and out on the straight. If I had done that to my C5 i'd had rear wheel lock up and maybe a new gearbox tossed in for good measure...LOL

GEARBOX

while at it the gearbox is great to use. Very positive with short quick and precise throws. In actual fact a pleasure to use. Never had a missed shift or false neutral yet. No trouble getting into or out of neutral at any time either. Never experienced a box full of neutral and trying to sort out the gears to try and find neutral to get started either. Just a good honest box.

Not sure about this one. When you come down to a complete stop to hit first the shifter appears to lift up and lock into first gear. By far it is the very best box i've used on an Enfield too.

SEATING

In my opinion I think that bench style seat is pretty good to park your carcass on. In fact I'd say it's far better than what I have on my C5 Classic. So far on the rides I have been on i have not got off once and said ....What a crappy seat to sit on and i require something better. I once had a new Kawasaki Versys X300 and rode it just a few klm and arrived home and took the seat off and butchered it to improve the ride...LOl. This seat for my riding style is fine.

HANDLING

If you have watched any of my videos it would appear that the handling is fine by me. That's about how I ride a bike. I don't push bikes to their limit but i do give four wheelers a good work out. You could say I don't put 100% trust in two wheelers.

Saying that though It does appear to go around the corners pretty well and also appears to handle better than the C5 which is the closest bike I can compare. It can be slightly unsettled on rough bumps but not enough for me to worry about with shock upgrades etc as it rides way better than a C5....so that's good enough

BRAKES

The braking system is outstanding and although both rides run the ABS braking system -this bike has the far superior brakes. I've had the chance to apply them several times now and they are good-extremely good. Nice to the touch with good positive feel. Not spongy at all and great bite. Overall great stoppers with good stopping power and great bite. i'd say they would wash down the high klm reading pretty quick and safely.

VIBRATION

I'd like to say its got some and make some C5 owners happy BUT it's really not the case. The vibration is that minimal that it's more on a scale of 1. out of 10. There is a very slight buzz on the bars and I mean very very slight. Shit I'm a friggin vibration expert and sold C5's because they shook when i looked at them or just walked past them and that's prior to start up too -

but there is virtually nothing.....Bars/Pegs/Tanks. No tingling hands going on with this bike.....Sorry nothing!

OVERALL IMPRESSION

I have to say it's the best bike Enfield has ever put together. Should have been here 10 years ago but as the saying goes- better late than never. It really is a great bike to ride and i can see in the future these 650's doing very long overland trips all around the world. In areas too that the 500's would struggle in.

I can tell just from my few short trips that they will be real long distance mileage eaters. Bet you could ride this bike around Australia. They have almost swung into Indian/Japanese territory too.

This could be the very first Enfield you just get on and ride and ride and ride. Plus you may never have the pleasure to tighten up all the nuts and bolts day after day and week after week. Or even check all the junk which comes out of the new motor or filter and ask forum Gurus for their best advise and is this OK for my new motor.

This could be the very start of a new breed of Enfield.

CONCLUSION.

So over several days I have put roughly 125 miles on the new bike under various riding conditions and now have some interesting thoughts. First off I have had no drama whatsoever in any areas on the bike itself. It has started first time every time. Nothing has shook loose either.....bumma! It's actually been perfect...dare i say too bloody perfect!

Unfortunately I didn't even get the chance to remove the included tool kit to tighten anything up.....Nothing at all shook loose. In actual fact I have done absolutely nothing to the bike at all apart from walk out the door and get on and ride the bloody thing. In a way it felt a bit like going to bloody work!

Today I walked across to old faithful - my good old Gun Metal Grey C5. She has sat silent for several days now. No complaints really as she is more the single silent type. Most-likely eyeing off her new stable mate...and probably a bit pissed off too!

I'll be honest here! Deep down I thought I may have let her down and in reality I knew I needed her as much as she needed me.

My eyes fogged up with tears of joy as I noticed a loose 12mm bolt on the right front mudguard stay as she sat patiently while i eagerly grabbed the ring spanner from the tool box and excited the task like a master technician. A task which I have performed many times before.

Just for a few short seconds I held my hands on the cold metal parts . Metal real metal...not plastic........Those were the days.

How good it felt to be wanted and appreciated.

I got up and walked back to the house and then glanced slowly back. Sure that new kid on the block did things well....No doubt about that!

I then looked across to the Classic 500. Although the 500 is riddled with all its 1940s style faults - it's a Classic regardless. Should I turn my cheek to a new era of let's say the 1970s 650 bike standards or ask one simple question -

Well Punk! If i could only afford just one bike...Would i cash you for that sweet talker next to you........Well would I

My guess Probably NOT!.......LOL

But thankfully for me I don't have to make that choice!

Hope you all enjoyed the read.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:22:32 am by wildbill »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Great review WILDBILL .
Here's a video with sports exhaust
https://www.facebook.com/RoyalEnfieldSydney/videos/536859920140654/
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
thanks jako- I should have just sent the review to you...lol it has a couple of minor flaws.

1. nothing has gone wrong with it and
2. I have not touched anything on the bike with spanners

that's a first for me in 15 new bikes.....lol

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
thanks jako- I should have just sent the review to you...lol it has a couple of minor flaws.

1. nothing has gone wrong with it and
2. I have not touched anything on the bike with spanners

that's a first for me in 15 new bikes.....lol

You'll be bored stiff with it in no time.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
lucky I have the reserve. I can go out and attack it!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:12:18 am by GlennF »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks GlennF and the huge response to the full review. just makes me think why I wasted my friggin time on the thing...LOL
Anyway as the saying goes good friends and $$$ never mix.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
For the record, I've enjoyed the write-up and videos very much! :) forum improvements may occur as a result too... :o

So...I've been wondering what kind of battery came in the Ravishing Ride? Is it an AGM, or lead acid? ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Your reviews are exceptionally positive, Bill!

Glad see you got a good one!  ;D
There IS a downside, though...
Though I already have three bikes, now I feel the itch to get an Interceptor.  :o

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
not too positive youtube wide- I think I am history and wiped out again....lol. anyway bird breeding season has just started and I can always swing into that direction where I know there is always a very good $$$ to grab hold of

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
You can't please everyone all the time.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
while I am at it I had the same problem on the car forum with miserable owners too. one guy complaining about his $300 muffler
how do you think I felt. I had to go up to the bird aviary and ask 8 birds to jump into the carry cage so I could convert them to $12,000 just so I could upgrade my car to 300 rwhp just to drive fast in central Australia-and that fu/kwit was worried about his stupid muffler

I may totally quite this forum -pull all my photos and material and you lot can all go to sleep!

theres only a few I get along with anyway and they know who they are.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
I always said -you cant buy a enfield for $1000 in Australia and expect t to be any good. I actually paid $10K and mine has a stuffed fuel filler cap. I cant put gas in -I cant get the cap off!

I am not taking it back to the dealer and leave it  and come back and then take it back for the 10000 service. so what choice do I have?
id say sell it and try again...lol

spoke too soon ..its up on sale now...lol

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Sorry to see you are selling after only 270kms. I was hoping you would provide a long term review where the bike was really put through its paces, ridden at higher revs and with the engine run in (i.e. 2000kms).
cheers Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Relic

• Scooter
I'm really sorry to see you are moving the Interceptor on already Wildbill. I too had hopes this one would be a keeper. Given the ongoing loyal business you have given to your RE dealer I would expect they would make all efforts to provide an acceptable solution at minimal inconvenience to you. I was also considering an Interceptor and am disappointed something as basic as the fuel cap has failed at such low k's.
2021 Classic 500

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
yes I think if I ca get a sale I will move it on. I am really pissed off with this gas cap incident. even the locksmith couldn't get it open and he is coming back Monday with better tools...if that works it will cost roughly $100 for his service-maybe more
I cant ride it at all and if I return it to the shop its about a 260 mile run. then I have to take it back again for the 1000 klm service.
I tried bashing it with a rubber hammer but I think if I get a bite I will do a quick drop of $$$ and think things over...lol
apart from that the bike runs extremely well. I thought maybe I could swith caps from the c5 but I don't think that is possible.
I would prefer a totally blow up rather than a stuck gas cap-how bad is it stuck... check out my youtube video

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
locksmith wondered ii had the correct keys which i have as i opened it up once or twice. he also thought maybe a barrel problem

https://youtu.be/nEDbyUmT7eA

now like the c5 tank ignition and side covers all run the same key

Relic

• Scooter
After watching the video it looks like you tried everything possible & clearly this is a hugely frustrating situation. The fact that the correct key goes all the way in but doesn't fully turn either way does point to a barrel issue.
Best of luck with the locksmith; at the very least you will be able to get the cap off to refuel the bike. For peace of mind I`d want the barrel, or cap, replaced.
2021 Classic 500

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
yeah I don't care much now -if some-one comes along with the cash they can take it for $1500 cheaper than I bought it for a week ago...LOL and get the dealer to fix it or replace the cap
if not I will have to put up with it BUT I am not keen to take it back that far just for a cap change-my plans now are to move it
there's nothing wrong with it apart from -you can't add petrol...LOL

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Geez, Bill! And not even broken in yet!  >:(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Bill I'd fix it and give it another chance. My Buell broke down twice on the way home from the shop new. It wasn't the bike it was the kid that put the battery back in after charging it, he clamped the battery down on top of the wiring. After that was taken care of it ran great for years.

I saw your first video on the 650 and you were beside yourself with joy it seemed to me. I know it's a PITA but I'd fix the gas cap and give her another chance as I said.

BTW Urals had a problem with the gas cap that I found was easy to fix...buy one without the lock and problem solved. Better spend $10-20 than lose $1,500.00 don't ya think?

Hitchcocks has more than a few that might fit.
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Petrol-Caps
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:41:46 pm by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Sorry to hear of this problem WildBill, it sounds all too familiar... My 2015 C5 cap had key issues too but eventually would open, then you had to fight to get key out. The other problem was severe leakage when I tipped the bike one day. Fuel just dumped down the side of the bike like there was no cap at all.

Soon as I got home I ordered the Hitchcocks non-locking screw on coversion kit, which I instantly fell in love with.

I have just been waiting to hear that this cool looking cap was also crap.  If an alternate non-locking cap can be found I want it.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Ah, the joys of being an early adopter of a new motorcycle model.  :(  If you can't find any other solution, you could use a slide-hammer to pull the lock mechanism out of the gas cap and then find a non-locking cap to replace it.  I wouldn't be too surprised if a Bullet cap would fit. The cap that I have on my B5's California-model sealed gas tank does not have a lock.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
some idiot in aust just offered me $7700 for it- id rather smash it than take that or I could just get a new cap and ride on ...lol
still cant work out why the cap opened a couple of times then nothing.
by the way don't get me wrong I think this is really the best bike enfield has built and they run really well
the buy and sell means nothing to me. but i'd like to sell not have it stolen...lol
anyway if tomorrow I can get the locksmith to get the cap off I might battle on to the 1000 klm mark

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
plus it wouldn't hurt if I at least say thanks to all the above comments which I forget - and look at this slide hammer idea to get the cap off!
I will have to google it

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Bill, I forgot all about the cap on my Versys freezing up. First ride of the season and I'm 75k from home the the cap will not open at all...can't even get the key in. it was corroded tight and I didn't have enough gas to get home. The guy at the gas station has some WM-40 and a few shots of that and working the key in and out and back and forth and it opened and I was good.

So you might try a shot of WD-40 ot Loc-Eas I do so on all my locks before I put the bike up for the winter now. I do learn...may take a bit but I do learn. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
My theory is that one of the tumblers fell out of the lock cylinder, if it was working properly before.  I guess you just can't get good locks in India anymore.   ;)

I am pretty sure that a locksmith should be able to sort out the problem. I just hope that a lock tumbler hasn't fallen into the gas tank and is resting on the bottom of the tank. Fishing it out would not be easy. If the locksmith can't remove the cylinder and repair it, a slide hammer can yank it out.  Thieves do it all the time in big cities when they want to go for a joy ride on a motorcycle parked in the street.   >:(

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
hopefully this may be a reserve hit if the locksmith fails to produce. meanwhile its been quite some time since I have been on the c5 I should take it for a short burst to see how it runs...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
after the cap incident I was prepared to let it go- actually have  or had the sale too . in fact two  interested parties.
but luck was against me this time.
rang the dealer who rang the importer/. bike has to go in and get new gas cap and key/new ignition key and harness/new side cover keys etc-special order from india no charge to me.
so whats really annoying about this
well I had rung the rolex dealer earlier and was about to drop a deposit on a $18000 watch to celebrate the moving out of the interceptor-but it looks like that's not going to happen now.
plus the locksmith failed to show up to do the cap release so that's how hard he thought it was to get it off after the other day.
some days its a hard life at wildbills but th party is not over yet!i still am waiting for a call from the importers of the bike

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Hi,
I am sorry to hear of problem with fuel cap lock, but these things happen and dealer is  going to fix under warranty .
Putting it for sale seems a bit extreme so soon into your ownership, especially after the glowing reviews you have posted.
Give it another chance  and keep smiling.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I had another thought for anyone who experiences this problem in the wild, with no other options.  I bet you could jam a screwdriver into the key slot and use a pair of pliers on the handle for leverage to turn the screwdriver and break the lock tumblers so that the cap can be removed.  Beats walking to the nearest locksmith.

(I know a lot about how to break things when trying to repair them.   ;D  )

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
I have had this issue on and off on a few bikes and cars over the years.    In the end it was cheaper and easier to just have a different key for the fuel cap though as its a warranty issue they may as well replace the lot I suppose.

Wildbill it seems to me you may have jinxed yourself with your "the interceptor is too reliable and does not need enough tinkering" comments in your vids :D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
sold and ready for collect-

following my talk with enfield australia the new owner will drop the bike off at some dealer and get new gas cap and key/plus ignition barrel and side cover keys all free of charge

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
glennf

i think you may have nailed it...lol

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
bike sold!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
btw now the bike has gone I can talk freely about it as I no longer have it.
any-one thinking of buying one-go ahead as they are a very good bike. sure I had a gas cap problem but that was not the real reason for the sale but was a part of it...lol
ive been chasing a watch with a two year wait list and finally and it took some work and I just got upgraded to under two months and could collect it any day.
its far harder to get than an interceptor which if I decide to buy again I can buy anytime as I am on a priority list with enfield and will be advised when the chromes arrive.
now how do you get on a priority list...you buy lots of bikes!
but I don't think I will go down that road at this stage
the watch first then worry about anything else.
so have no fear if the 650 is on your list go for it as it is a very good and well behaved bike  but after I rode it a few times take my advise-its does feel more like that honda cb500x I sold after a few weeks of ownership
that was a new bike too. reason being it did everything so well it sort of became a bit boring. this new 650 is not like any of your previous enfields and will surprise all - its more a jap bike clone now or that's what I think.
in fact I actually think its lost its indian character but some might think the character it lost was really not that important and much for the better...lol

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Okay, I'm the new guy here, so I'm gonna ask it.

Are you on medication??
2000 Bullet 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
My question would be: What are the break-in requirements for the Interceptor

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
beardo - as the new guy you will soon understand I can just buy and sell any bike I please and buy again...lol and again and not many can do that! but I can...lol
actually the next bike I buy will be my 20 new bike in 6 years

richard230
I was told no break in period -just keep in under 100 kph. although the book differs and does show a run-in. I think 100 kph was under or just under 4000 revs

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
yes1 I am on medication too...lol

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Relic

• Scooter
That must be a record even for you Wildbill! However if a hard to get watch is your next goal then go for it.
I can understand your thinking if the bike didn't deliver the character element you were expecting. For some of us it's essential; that elusive but essential part of owning machinery that requires a high level of rider / driver involvement interspersed with spanner time to ensure reliability. You just need to find a machine that gells with you and encourages you to hang on to it long enough for it to mellow once run in. My C5 is nearing 18,000k`s and it`s become a keeper.
For a modern bike with soul try a Moto Guzzi V7; it might deliver what you found lacking with the Intercepter.
2021 Classic 500

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Hey Wild Bill,  When will we start hearing the wine and whimpering about the WATCH !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Hey wildbill - I confess I too find your  motorcycle ownership paradigm unconventional, but we get a lot of interesting, and dare I say entertaining, posts out of it, and I certainly don't see how it's causing anyone here any harm.  Thanks for sticking around and for maintaining your sense of humor while people inexplicably behave like pricks, when instead they should simply stay away from your threads if they have issues...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
That must be a record even for you Wildbill! However if a hard to get watch is your next goal then go for it.
I can understand your thinking if the bike didn't deliver the character element you were expecting. For some of us it's essential; that elusive but essential part of owning machinery that requires a high level of rider / driver involvement interspersed with spanner time to ensure reliability. You just need to find a machine that gells with you and encourages you to hang on to it long enough for it to mellow once run in. My C5 is nearing 18,000k`s and it`s become a keeper.
For a modern bike with soul try a Moto Guzzi V7; it might deliver what you found lacking with the Intercepter.

^ This.

Trying to please the masses often loses the soul.
Is the trade worth it?

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Cool stories WB
makes me wonder who chased that joey out into your lane the other week
Chuy
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
all I can say is the C5 is no-where near as good as bike as the interceptor but I like the C5.
I will just get that watch and if I have a complaint I may mention it here...LOL but I will not mention it to be shot down on the ROLEX forum! they can be a nasty lot there lol  now if I decide I want another Interceptor I might just buy a chrome version further down the track.

the guy who bought the bike phoned me and is extremely happy. he ended drilling out the key hole further and got the cap off in 10 minutes.
I may have been able to do or may not but rather than risk it I dropped the price $250 further -which is nothing!
anyway he said the bottom of the gas cap barrel where the key tip finally rests in the barrel is sort of flimsy and he can see drama in this area in the future. that's where mine broke and locked up.
others may take note and be very careful unlocking or better still locking the cap.

so in the end i get a new bike and some-else get a bike they couldn't afford to buy new and got it almost new and

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Can the gas cap be closed securely without locking it?  My B5's cap just screws on and off and doesn't cause any problems.  :)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
no you just press it dow and it clips in place unlike my c5 euro4 where that unscrews. maybe the idea might be to take some pressure off the locking mechanism would be to use the key to take the weight then put the cap on and release it.
that's what I would try.
the whole bike is being re-keyed due to this incident

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
scotty brown
just remember I do have the $10,000 and will buy the watch-exactly what have you bought lately...LOL and I may buy another bike in a matter of days too and I may even complain about that one.
that's the best about $$$ you buy you either like or you don't. you give an opinion and move it out.
I get up and think...what will i buy...not what i'll friggin eat..lol and I do that daily. I don't ask permission either ...I just buy!

I have $$$ to burn I am not sure where I will plant it.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Thorstein Veblen  much?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:50:21 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Wild Bill,  If you must know, Beer, Pizza and piece of mind.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead

I have $$$ to burn I am not sure where I will plant it.

I suppose you could always pick up the much talked about upcoming 650 Himalayan as the next port of call in your Enfield saga.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
well I don't drink but I do eat pizza...lol and just bought another camera. evemn I am starting to think wtf do I need 5 cameras as its hard enough to use just one.
I would probably give the himalayan a go as ive tried the rest. its something I could keep in mind.
meanwhile ive had no choice but to get on the C5..lol and try it out again after a couple of weeks.
really its not that bad and I can see now why I have bought so many over the years...that bike has character!
I actually rode it 50 miles yesterday and really enjoyed the run.
so you really can be happy either on 27 or 47 hp. it doesn't matter what you have as long as you enjoy the ride
enough of the crap talk!
no! I really did enjoy the run. I actually liked the slower pace of the bike and as the song goes......the vibes they tingle and run through the bars...LOL

Alan France

• Scooter
That just seems like bad luck. These things happen especially when somethings new. A few years ago I bought a Ford Probe new. It came with the wrong wheel nut key. The dealers response was we will cut the wheel studs off! Anyway I kept it for 268,000 miles before the gearbox gave out. I managed to get the nuts off and replaced them with a new set.
As for the filler debacle it must be really irritating ,disappointing and very frustrating. I suppose the barrel will need to be drilled out assuming you have put some lubricant in there and all the other obvious stuff. If it were me Id persevere even if meant the dealer providing a new tank? The pump would  have to be swopped over. Surely this is a warranty issue? At least providing a new cap and keys?
 Hope you get it sorted. I will probably get one later in the year.
The Himalayan had a lot of teething problems when it was launched- mainly bearings. The twins have supposedly been tested and tested again to avoid a repetition of so many recalls/ warranty claims. I think you have been unlucky. What a shame!
UK. Alan France
2012 Thunderbird 500 twin spark - black
2014 GT dual saddle - blue
2015 GT single saddle - red

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Unlucky? Well, that's a relative term. I'm about to dive into a fun ball pit of mangled starter sprag clutch chunks this morning. Where's the line for dodgy fuel cap key that'll be replaced under warranty? I'd rather be in that one.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
bilgemaster
true ive been there on that sprag clutch issue...lol no picnic.
yeah I don't care much about moving out the bike. if I decide I want another interceptor later I will ring them up and just tell the dealer I am ready for another bike -chrome please
at this stage I am more interested in that watch...lol

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Time is bullshit, man....
2000 Bullet 500

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
now what does that mean...money rules man!...lol

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Watches are becoming more of a Hipster fashion accessory rather than something for practical everyday use these days ... but then again you could say the same for Royal Enfields.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
either way I am buying the watch and probably buying another bike. just not sure what bike yet...lol

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Bill maybe you should try something totally different ...like a Ural. You want personality you get it...trust me here's mine.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Watches are becoming more of a Hipster fashion accessory rather than something for practical everyday use these days ... but then again you could say the same for Royal Enfields.
Hmm, around here watches are a more important outlaw biker accessory than an actual motorcycle. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:09:03 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Hey Bill - come down to Perth, next Thurs they are launching the new twin ???? you may fancy the chrome GT like me, promise to buy off you ????
Seriously - when they say W.A means Wait Awhile they mean it!!!
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
yeah I wonder will they charge the same price in the western state or bump it up a bit.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
I visited my mate yesterday who's just bought a 650 Interceptor. we went for a bit of a ride and swapped bikes for a bit. I did 30km on his new scooter. It's a very different beast to the CGT, that's for sure. Most things are pretty familiar but it all looks better made and finished. The engine is an eye opener. It's quiet, makes power and is so smooth! Wow. I have a Yamaha TRX850, also a parallel twin, This enfield motor is much smoother than the Yammy. It's going to be a good bike, I think. On the downside, the motor doesn't have much character, if that's important to you. I kind of think it is and is the reason I passed on a BMW F800RS a few years ago.
He's now having to field questions from older gents in the street, just like us!
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Well, all the magazine writers and critics said it had to be smooth like a Japanese bike, and have Japanese bike "push a button and ride" convenience, and basically have everything like a Japanese bike.

So, now there is another Japanese bike on the market with a RE badge.
Congratulations.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Better late than never. Royal Enfield should have built this bike in 1968.   ;)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
So, my question is how different is the Interceptor from a Bonneville? Is the Bonneville "just like a Japanese bike"?  ???

I have a Bonneville and it feels fine to me... I've done some common induction, exhaust, dyno mods...it's definately not a boring bike!  ;)

I will be test riding a CGT twin later this week, and am hoping to get some feel for what the Interceptor will be like.

I am very curious how the air cooled Interceptor compares to the air cooled Bonnie. I will be waiting until May to find out for myself... ::)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
We'll, not my cup of tea, not even a kickstarter, for cryin out loud ::)
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
We'll, not my cup of tea, not even a kickstarter, for cryin out loud ::)

Ironically a kickstart 650 twin probably fires up a lot easier than a 500cc single :D

That said the likelihood of a successful first go kick start has always been inversely proportional to the number of people watching you try :D  Halve that likelihood again if any of the watchers are young cute and female.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
A young, cute female wouldn't know what the f...  you were doing.  Last big group ride I went on with the GT, some seasoned riders there had never seen a bike kick started.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bullet500Pilot

• Neophyte
Thanks for the review wildbill.  I sure would like the INT650 primarily because of the lower vibration.  I need thick gloves to keep my hands from going numb after 90 miles on the Bullet 500.  My main complaint after 7K miles (2016).
Sure, little things like broken sprockets (my bad, treating it like a car, not a bike--clean and oil the chain after a couple 100 miles on gravel/dirt roads dude!).  Being able to cruise at 70MPH would be nice too.  Maybe another 7K miles and I'll get the INT650.  Love the 65MPG though :)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
nothing really wrong with the bike at all. id say easily enfields best bike yet. if I go back to one ...next time I might try the chrome.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Well, an Indian-dwelling though Vegemite-declining countryman in his YouTube vid-screed claims, "If it ain't chrome...."...Hence, color me 'unsurprised' you'd prefer one. In the meantime, let's shave a new song 'bout it sung by that Good Lady Wife yonder. Email preview to A&M and/or 'Herb', not necessarily 'Alpert', c/o "The Usual Gmale". We're waiting. Film also welcome. Have many drones. If you were in North America, I'd 'chrome you out' in a good way with that '67 Norton Desert Sled and a $35 metal detector in my shoe, Baby.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
good one...lol I will play about with the cb500x to fill in time as its nearly winter. I will buy again after that and i'd say it will be a chrome interceptor with hopefully a fully functional gas cap!..lol

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
plus on my profile I have used up all the characters and can no longer add bikes...lol

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
--clean and oil the chain after a couple 100 miles on gravel/dirt roads dude!).

Which is why when I lived an hour out of Moree (which is on the edge of the official "outback" here in Australia) and spent a lot of time on dirt and crossing flooded creeks I did NOT get an adventure tourer but instead went for shaft drive bikes.

You do not need an adventure tourer for gravel roads but a shaft makes life a lot simpler.  Had a GT550 Kawasaki for awhile but it was a bit buzzy so traded up to an XJ900 yamaha. My best friend at the time had a GS850 suzuki. 

Unfortunately mid capacity shaft bikes are becoming a bit of a rarity.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
plus on my profile I have used up all the characters and can no longer add bikes...lol

Unacceptable!  You'll have to start abbreviating... you can remove all the 20's from the years, that will save you a few spaces - remove the year altogether when you've got more than one bike from that year... get creative, we're counting on you!

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
You need to set up s second account then, Wildbill2 and list bikes in it and follow every post you make as Wildbill with Wildbill2. Look on the good side, unlimited bikes as you load up Wildbill2 you can start Wildbill3 and Wildbill4.  ;)
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
I always thought the list was for bikes you currently own. That will save you the need to start another account. I am looking foreward to Wildbill's Continental GT 650 review.
cheers and beers
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
On that review...watch out for the Wombats, OK?
2012 Kawasaki Versys

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
I always thought the list was for bikes you currently own. That will save you the need to start another account. I am looking foreward to Wildbill's Continental GT 650 Ural Ranger review.
cheers and beers

Fixed it...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:29:56 pm by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
I like them but I don't love them...lol I prefer these. this one just arrived yesterday. more like an interceptor on the wrist.
speaking of interceptors - I plan to get another in a couple of months. chrome or nothing

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
just for curiosity sake that watch purchased for $10,000 I could sell today for $12,000 to $13,000 and make a good profit BUT i'd then wait a year to get another...maybe more.
$3000 is nothing really.
if id got pepsi coke or batman model I could sell it for a $10,000 profit as there is a three year wait.
no money in enfields...big money in rolexes

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
I can't see the attraction,  but there's something for everyone. I bought a nice rip curl watch about 15 years ago. It lets me know when it's time to get out of the water and pick kids up from school. That's all.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
yeah I know. a $10 quart watch will keep as good as time or better than this one. we all know those guys who buy Rolexes are pretty well up themselves...lol
I just like to let them know -there not the only ones who can waste the cash...lol

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Done many km's on the CB500 yet? How are you liking it so far?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
here it is.

https://youtu.be/miLDTB_w41Q

you should subscribe and enter the $200 cash give-way open worldwide.
some-one is going to win it - might as well be a forum member.
although saying that -it will be via an auto pick tubebuddy draw. every-one gets a fair go
I should actually enter myself!...lol