Author Topic: shitty forum  (Read 10316 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 01:46:47 am
Well done, both of you!  8)

Now if you want anyone to read it, either change the name of this thread, or move it to a different one... jes' sayin'...

You make a good point that had also crossed my mind.

WildBill: Do you want to quote, cut and paste your review from my message as a nice fresh topic? If I do it, "Bilgemaster" and my lurid buddhaesque bespectacled avatar will be perched over your stuff...which sounds pretty fuckin' alarming, if you ask me!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:27:52 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 04:28:35 pm
What's the issue boys?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 10:00:38 pm
The issue is that if I try to post a message longer than a paragraph, I get a database error message. Once you get that the system will not let you try to correct the message to make it shorter and you will have to cancel the post and try again with a completely new message.  If I attempt to cut and paste a message, even one that was written on my computer word processor, I get the same error message. And heaven help you if you cut and paste from another internet source. Other things will trigger the database error message too, but I haven't been able to see the pattern. It can be quite frustrating.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 01:12:47 am
What's the issue boys?

Uh-Oh!  Dad's home!

Briefly put, the issue is that for quite some time many folks have been having a hard time posting messages to this new SMF Forum system, getting only "database error" messages for their trouble. This is especially true for our British or Australian members or for those who use their familiar word processors to first draft their messages or cut-n-paste info from websites or other online resources (like our man Richard230 in California).

As I have already posted in the Forum Improvements section and also here, I surmise that the root cause of these database errors, judging from the HTML source code header of even this very webpage, is that in typographical terms we are quite literally rocking like it's 1999, using "charset=ISO-8859-1", which is to say, ANSI (Windows-1252), the original Windows character set for the USA, with support for only 256 different character codes--Not quite as "El Primitivo" as the straight ASCII standard, limited as it was to just 128, but like I pointed out on these Forums months ago, still not much more sophisticated than a stick in the dirt...maybe less.

The problem with that limited default character-handling set for our British and Australian cousins is that common symbols on their British  English keyboards, like their curly breed of apostrophes and dashes (and maybe forward slashes, too), are almost guaranteed to give the Forum indigestion, as will pretty common present-day US symbols like degree, cent, fractions or pretty much anything not found printed on the keyboard of that dusty old Compaq 486 up in the attic with the squirrel living in it. Characters and other "invisible" formatting doodads like "carriage returns", margin shifts or tabs from word processors might also give the Forum a case of the "vapors". As for the long length of some messages causing problems, as thought by some, I am not yet convinced that it is so much the length in itself, so much as the increased likelihood of a longer message containing some offending symbol or character that may be the real issue. After all, I was able to massage WildBill's recent 2,200 word opus, as shown earlier in this thread, into digestibility by simply "globally replacing" all his Ozzie punctuation symbols with my homegrown Virginia ones. Then it was just <Post> and no problem.

Previous postings made in the old Forum system with such characters or other proper foreign symbols like accents or umlauts, like this one, now resemble Romulan street signs.

The first step to recovery is recognizing there's a problem. So, if you could point whomever may be the Main Admin/Installer-in-Chief/Alpha Geek/Code Monkey of this Forum towards this issue, it might make a lot of folks much happier. Using something more current called "Unicode" would handily fix this issue. If they want to solve the problem, they might do well to start here.

One major source of frustration for many has been the utter lack of feedback to suggestions about this issue or others in that Forum Improvements  section. It makes Forum users feel "edgy" and uncertain--like that silent treatment from one's "significant udder" before you've realized it's February 14th, and you've neither chocolates nor so much as a wilted petunia on hand. It's been hard not to get the distinct impression that nobody's at the helm or listening. Is there  even an active Admin for this Forum? I can point to no recent evidence to suggest one.

"SSSSSHHHH! You'll wake the Admin!"

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:18:20 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:37 am
What's the issue boys?
Getting the photo gallery back would really be a great step.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 02:25:40 am
Nice write up Wildbill.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 02:35:45 am
Quite often attempting to post pictures will cause error codes and loss of text too.  :-\
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 02:39:17 am
Seriously a shitty forum?? I don't have a dog in this fight. But apparently no good deed goes unpunished. This is no longer my forum and has not been for quite a while. It belongs to Michael Baker of Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth. I only drop in out of goodwill toward the members. This is the first time that any administrator (I still have that permission). has been notified of any problems. (willing to be proven wrong). The last PM I have gotten was well over a year ago. Once in a while a member passes along some spam through the reporting function which I try to look at and remove.

This forum has been running on simple machines for 12 years with very few issues. Apparently there are some issues now. I think the pictures have been gone for quite a while. I know some of our overseas friends were having some issues signing in. Out of the goodness of his heart Rhett fixed that.

As a volunteer I will pursue this some - but good grief give me a break

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 04:15:48 am
Actually Kevin, I agree with you. Far from "shitty", this is my favorite forum by far  of the several I subscribe to on various subjects, and I'm happy to throw a fiver into the kitty now and then to help keep the lights on. I also get my parts from Ft. Worth in gratitude. That original subject line's just "sticky" unless one goes out of one's way to change it with every response, and I gather WildBill was initially pretty cheesed off not being able to get his oeuvre on the move here. I suspect he really enjoys this Forum too. All that said, the powers that be here really  should look in on that Forum Improvements  section a bit more often--maybe make a peep or two there from time to time just to let folks know they're seeing those suggestions that they, after all, are soliciting there.

Look, as I've said before here, if you want to witness a truly shitty Royal Enfield forum, you need only go check out the recently resurrected so-called "official" company one that until recently hadn't worked for well over a year. You'll really  want a shower after wading through that font of ready wisdom. Mostly it's just a stream of poo bubbling with random brain farts that burst in odd squawks, but here's today's chewy semi-cogent nugget from its Maintenance  section:

Bat noise coming out from Engine of 350X

If my 350X runs more than 60 kms/hr speed, then there is a crazy sounds(cot..cot...) are coming out from inside the engine. Is it any Engine issue? And what is the solution? Please suggest.

WTF? Anybody got flying rodent issues? Is that just a UCE thing?

"Oh look! There's a 500!"

And here's another super-useful item from the Maintenance  knowledge base they're building over there:

How much!!!

I love you for Royal Enfield.. I want to be a Royal Enfield

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:43:52 am by Bilgemaster »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 01:01:32 pm
Actually Kevin, I agree with you. Far from "shitty", this is my favorite forum by far  of the several I subscribe to on various subjects,

I would not come anywhere near calling this a shitty forum.

I've been on here a long time and have not had the posting problems that some comment on; pictures OR text. Maybe it's just because the small problems that the whole population seems to bitch about these days just don't seem to bother me.

I am firmly convinced that without this forum my '08 AVL would be over in a corner now covered up and not running and nowhere NEAR the machine it is now and a few of the guys here who know the whole 11 year saga of this bike know that's true. I was a stranger in a strange land Royal Enfieldwise and only had my past motorcycle and car experience PLUS this forum to get me through it. I have what I call a 99% bullet-proof bike now with the help of this forum.

Over the years I've weeded out all forums, but two and this is one of them. None of my punctuation seems to bounce  ;) ;) ;) :o 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:03:43 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 02:00:56 pm
There is nothing "shitty" about the forum, I just wish I could understand the posting rules that will avoid the "data base" message - in understandable language (Bildgemaster).  I just posted a joke that I cut and pasted into my computer's word processor, reformatted into a single paragraph and then cut and pasted it into the message box and quickly hit send.  All went well and the joke was posted without any drama and without creating a data base error.

I just don't understand why that worked but other times when I try to post a message I get the error response.  If I we could be told what causes these data base errors and how to avoid them when posting a message, that would go along way to making the forum much easier to use.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 03:21:08 pm
There is nothing "shitty" about the forum, I just wish I could understand the posting rules that will avoid the "data base" message - in understandable language (Bildgemaster).  I just posted a joke that I cut and pasted into my computer's word processor, reformatted into a single paragraph and then cut and pasted it into the message box and quickly hit send.  All went well and the joke was posted without any drama and without creating a data base error.

I just don't understand why that worked but other times when I try to post a message I get the error response.  If I we could be told what causes these data base errors and how to avoid them when posting a message, that would go along way to making the forum much easier to use.

Simply put: Stop using your word processor. It's likelier to serve up stuff the Forum cannot digest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:52:46 pm by Bilgemaster »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 03:31:29 pm
Here's one that just happened using my android phone;

I love the forum, but since the new format there have been many problems, most of which have just been mentioned in this thread.

One more that comes to mind is the links to the Baker website for parts. I believe it just tells you to call on the phone or something like that... I would think some amount of sales are lost right there.

If I may be so bold... It would be nice if things just worked (as they did before the change) instead of having to jump through hoops to post anything. And I take it the pictures were deleted to save space on
Simply put: Stop using your word processor. It's likelier to serve up stuff the Forum cannot digest.
You know everyone wants simple instant gratification!

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:30 pm
Ok, for some reason, that quote from Bilgemaster just popped into my text as I was typing a sentence. Not sure why. 

To finish the sentence...apparently the pictures were deleted to save space on the server?  That may have been neseccerry, and I am grateful for what we do have left, but it is confusing and frustrating.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 04:41:34 pm
It's a great forum, but signing out now too. I realize I know about the GT as much as I possibly need... :)

Bye Guys
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:46:26 pm by oTTo »