Author Topic: Engine losing power during fast acceleration  (Read 8097 times)

SquadronROE

• Scooter
on: February 18, 2019, 05:47:26 pm
Hey folks!

I bought a 2018 RE Classic Chrome a few weeks ago and decided to take it out for a quick ride yesterday despite it being very cold (like 40?) for riding.

So I let the bike warm up on the center stand for something like 5-10 minutes as I got ready, and rolled out easy onto the road. But when I turned on to the local highway (not interstate, like a 55-65mph highway) and tried to get up to speed the engine, uh, resisted the notion.

Basically it felt like if I rolled on the throttle too hard the engine would sputter and threaten to die. I'm not sure if this is expected behavior (All my previous bikes have been sporty so I might be riding wrong) or if I should consider further troubleshooting to sort out a problem.

After I was riding for a few minutes I noticed that if I slowly roll up the throttle (very slowly) it doesn't seem to hit the same problem. But if I roll too hard, it consistently happens.

Any thoughts? Do I need to just adjust my riding habits?

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:23:45 pm
Same thing here when I delivered my 2013 Bullet to my cousin. The condition presented itself as if momentarily running out of fuel.

The bike didn't do this last month when the was an oddly warm day. I filled the tank, it then pretty much sat until Thursday.

My theory? Water in the tank. The bike was out in a shed, with plenty of holes, plenty of draft and weather to intrude. The temps going wildly up and down. That's where I'm at.

It's been a strange winter....
2000 Bullet 500

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:03 pm
Water, clogged cap vent, poor fuel flow from pump or injector but on new bike I bet it's water.
Lurker on a Vespa

SquadronROE

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:28:40 pm
Interesting. I've got a bottle of sta-bil that supposedly might help with that. But it definitely felt as if the thing were running out of fuel.

I haven't had it for too long but it definitely sat at the dealer for a few minutes/months. I think sta-bil helps reduce the water presence, so I can give that a shot.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:38:29 pm
Personally, I'm just going to be draining the tank on the '13. Gas is cheap, and not worth the aggravation.

And if that isn't it, I'll know almost immediately.
2000 Bullet 500

SquadronROE

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:10:10 am
Personally, I'm just going to be draining the tank on the '13. Gas is cheap, and not worth the aggravation.

And if that isn't it, I'll know almost immediately.

But that precious dinosaur juice!   :D

Yeah that might be easier. Or I'll just ride it until it actually runs out of gas then refill it with some of the ultra-grade no-ethanol stuff.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 12:45:51 am
Or repurpose that old gas, and be done with it all...
2000 Bullet 500

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 01:41:43 am
The issue with alcohol fuels in rarely used recreational vehicles is they separate into 3 layers eventually .. gas, alcohol and water.  The stabilising addons do not stop the water getting in they stop it seperating out as much when the vehicle sits too long.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 11:33:02 am
Or I'll just ride it until it actually runs out of gas...

This is not generally recommended for the health and longevity of your fuel pump...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 11:59:57 am
This doesn't sound like your problem but what the heck. When I got mine I was perplexed as to why it would sputter on acceleration out of corners. Turns out I was used to cars and bikes with much higher redlines and this one has an automatic fuel cut off when you reach the rev limiter. I was over revving it which activated the limiter and causing it to sputter. My first road bike and I, like you, picked an odd one. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Watch the revs as it is running in and change the oil more often than the manual says, maybe at 300 and 1,000 and 2,000 miles. The engine gets much smoother as the miles build. Good luck with yours.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 01:53:03 am
  It certainly sounds like it could be the "issue"  to me 9fingers.  Especially if it is only happening to him in  first, second and thirds gears.... bouncing off the rev limiter.  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:23 pm
Or the good old fashioned side-stand switch cutting the engine with vibration.
either tighten up the stand, or better still, just disconnect the switch.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 06:02:34 pm
It's still in warranty so just ask the garage to fix it. It might be worth checking that the symptoms are the same each time.
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 07:30:05 pm
Fast acceleration on a enfield forum?
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:10 pm
Fast acceleration on a enfield forum?

It's fast...........fast enough at least. OK, fast enough for me.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 02:04:58 am
Also, do a quick check the air filter isn't clogged up a bit and the fast idle lever is off.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 04:59:58 pm
   If your in first gear and you take off and get on that throttle HARD and rev the snot out of the motor,  and it starts to stutter... your getting into the soft cut on the rev limiter.   If you continue to rev it at that point, it will go into a hard cut with the rev limiter and the motor will cut out completely.  UNTIL... you back off on the throttle.  This  most likely will happen in first, second and third gears if your revving the hell out of it.    In fourth and and fifth gears, this is unlikely to happen because a stock bike does not have the power to hit the rev limiter in those higher gears.   A Tacho installed on the bike would tell the tale...

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:20 am
I collected some information on the MMB tachometers here https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26258.msg302777.html#msg302777

Of course you want to pair it with a Smith's Chronometric Speedometer here https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26963.msg307324/boardseen.html#new and here https://smithsgaugesusa.com/chronometric
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 11:31:46 am
I collected some information on the MMB tachometers here https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26258.msg302777.html#msg302777

Of course you want to pair it with a Smith's Chronometric Speedometer here https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26963.msg307324/boardseen.html#new and here https://smithsgaugesusa.com/chronometric
Bert, do those MMB tachs work with the UCE engine and EFI?
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 04:50:13 pm
Yes they would.  The RE uses a Kettering ignition so you would connect the MMB tachometer Green wire (Positive input) to the RE ignition coil trigger wire (ECU Pin 18 IG, White/Red as I recall) and the MMB tachometer Red wire (Ignition power) to the RE ignition coil power wire (ECU Pin 1 IGP, Brown as I recall).

Since I last visited the MMB site, the prices seemed to have gone up about 20 Euros and the installation PDF not longer seems available so I attached it.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:20 pm
I have the mmb unit waiting to be fitted (needs hole to be enlarged slightly) but works on testing before getting dremel out ????
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

SquadronROE

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 11:06:16 pm
   If your in first gear and you take off and get on that throttle HARD and rev the snot out of the motor,  and it starts to stutter... your getting into the soft cut on the rev limiter.   If you continue to rev it at that point, it will go into a hard cut with the rev limiter and the motor will cut out completely.  UNTIL... you back off on the throttle.  This  most likely will happen in first, second and third gears if your revving the hell out of it.    In fourth and and fifth gears, this is unlikely to happen because a stock bike does not have the power to hit the rev limiter in those higher gears.   A Tacho installed on the bike would tell the tale...

Incredible. You folks figured it out.

It turns out that I really am used to cars and engines with much higher red lines than this bike, and without a tach I couldn't recalibrate my brain. I took the bike into the garage just to make sure everything was ok and they told me basically the same thing: There is a soft cutoff prior to the actual rev limiter being hit. So it will starve the engine of fuel instead of destroying the engine.

So ultimately it really is that I need to accelerate more gently. Which is certainly a habit I can form.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 12:38:19 am
   Hehehe ! Glad you got it figured.  We are here to help ... sometimes we get it and sometimes we don't ?   Sometimes it's difficult to figure out  through a forum and not getting your hand s on a bike.  And having Tach really helps on these bikes, or any bike for that matter.  But anyway... I believe what is going on with the rev limiter, and from what I have seen , is that... It cuts spark first , on every other engine revolution.   Which causes a miss , or your " soft cut " at around 5250 rpm's.   You can actually hold your throttle right on the edge of that soft cut and feel it sputter.   At around 5500 rpm's  it will go into a HARD cut , were it cuts off the fuel.   The valve springs have a pretty lite seat pressure as well , so if you go much above that RPM range... give or take.   You could start floating the valves , which would kill power and pump a lifter temporarily.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 02:11:15 am
     You could start floating the valves , which would kill power and pump a lifter temporarily.
Happened to me on my CGT once when I missed a gear. It ran like snot and I thought I might have killed it but it bled back down and came good  ;).
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E