Author Topic: 2018 Bullet EFI  (Read 4352 times)

Jinx03

• Neophyte
on: February 13, 2019, 06:55:20 am
Hey guys,

I'm new here and know very little about motorcycle maintenance.

So, I have a 2018 Bullet 500 EFI, more than that, I don't know, so not 100% sure I've even posted in the correct forum. Sorry if I got it wrong.

I was riding to work this morning and ended up in a bit of a bingle when my rear breaks failed. I don't think they actually failed, it's just that they didn't engage as they usually do.

So, what I have realised, is that at times when I push my foot down on the break, the break engages as usual. At other times, I will have to push the break down quite a bit further until the break actually engages.

So, typically I'd just take it to get it looked at, but finances are really tight and if it's a simple matter of screwing something in a bit tighter, then I'm generally pretty handy, so I can do that sort of thing.

I've looked on YouTube and there's a bunch of good stuff, but it doesn't seem as though any of the videos are of my model, and mine has disc brakes, not drum brakes. And I assume that changes how things might operate.

Wondering whether anyone can give me any pointers on what might be the issue and how I might fix it.

Feel free to talk to me like I'm simple, might make it easier!!

Thanks!!

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:50 am
First, welcome to the forum,  a lot can be learned on here,plus some very amusing  answers and observations on royal enfields.
If you have limited knowledge on bikes ,and good braking being essential  this is a case for a warranty repair.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:08 pm
Definitely get it back to the dealer!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:04:01 pm
To me, your most likely issue is likely to be that there is air in your rear brake hydraulic system that will need to be bled out.  This is easy to do by yourself, all you need is a can of DOT 4 brake fluid, an open end wrench and a helper to push the brake pedal up and down as you open and close the caliper bleeding bolt.  You can find lots of videos on the Tube showing how to do this.  Or you can take your bike to your dealer and tell them to fix it for free under RE's warranty agreement.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
Air in the line. And honestly, the bleeder probably only needs to be cracked to let out some bubbles. Same thing happened on my new 2018 Harley. Not a big deal really. Crack that bleeder, watch the bubbles come out, then just solid stream of brake fluid, close the bleeder and pump the pedal. Done.
2000 Bullet 500

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:14:11 pm
When you buy a new bike you also get a warranty that will fix any issues in two years from taking delivery. They do this for free assuming you've had the bike serviced by them or by you (if you have the receipts for oil  etc).

The name of the forum "Bullet with UCE engine" just refers to bikes with the Unit Construction Engine engine. The classics all have the UCE engine. I'll agree that it's confusing to new owners and personally I think the moderators should at least think about renaming these forums, it's confusing having a drop down suddenly appear showing "Royal Enfield Motorcycles" or "Bullet with the UCE engine".

I also think you should also change the subject title for this thread to something like "Rear brake not working (2018 500 Classic )" that way others with the same issue can find this thread.

I'm obviously feeling quite opinionated this evening. Note to self - avoid any conversations with wife this evening.
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Cat3625

• Scooter
  • My need for speed
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:07 am
With regard to your brakeing problem-
 1 Could just be air in the system in which case bleeding it may cure the problem.
Use a short ring spanner on the nipple not an open ended spanner (wrench)as the nipples are easily rounded and sheared off.
2 Possibly a faulty Master Cylinder where the internal piston seal is allowing fluid to pass by.
3 A.B.S. related,assuming your bike is fitted with this system.

Your 1st call should be to the Dealer who supplied the bike and get them to sort it out under warranty after all it's a 2018 bike and once you "fiddle" it may invaladate your warranty
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:27:32 pm by Cat3625 »
1966 Continental 250 GT
2001 Bullet 500 k/s
2002 Bullet 350 Trials
2008 Bullet 500 Classic electric start
2016 C5 Military 500 efi
2019 Interceptor 650
U.K.🇬🇧

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:08:41 pm

The name of the forum "Bullet with UCE engine" just refers to bikes with the Unit Construction Engine engine. The classics all have the UCE engine. I'll agree that it's confusing to new owners and personally I think the moderators should at least think about renaming these forums, it's confusing having a drop down suddenly appear showing "Royal Enfield Motorcycles" or "Bullet with the UCE engine".

No. The Classics do not all have UCE engine/transmission. There are also AVL Classics. It's not confusing at all if you just go out there and read the history of RE.

I agree the Subject line should be specific. If Brakes are the problem then the word BRAKE should at least appear somewhere in the Subject line. The Search function is already a little iffy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:15:15 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:09:12 pm
No. The Classics do not all have UCE engine/transmission. There are also AVL Classics. It's not confusing at all if you just go out there and read the history of RE.
I've obviously not read enough - I knew about the AVL engine but didn't know it ever went into the classic! But I still think you're asking a lot from potential new members. They've bought a bike cause they like the look and the price. if you have to read the history of the brand to understand the sub forums then it's a bit off putting to new members. Why not either have one forum or have a simple split with "Modern" and "Not so modern".

While I'm on the subject of suggestions - could there be a wiki page that gives: basic info on the history, the models, how to do things like servicing etc?
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:31:33 pm
I've obviously not read enough - I knew about the AVL engine but didn't know it ever went into the classic! But I still think you're asking a lot from potential new members. They've bought a bike cause they like the look and the price. if you have to read the history of the brand to understand the sub forums then it's a bit off putting to new members. Why not either have one forum or have a simple split with "Modern" and "Not so modern".

While I'm on the subject of suggestions - could there be a wiki page that gives: basic info on the history, the models, how to do things like servicing etc?

Fergod'ssake - I'm not "asking a lot" from you or anybody and I'm not telling you that you "have to read the history of the brand" or anything else. If you don't care or aren't interested in the over a hundred year history and evolution of RE or even just your own bike, I certainly don't care.

One thing I do know from my 80 years on the planet is that the history of ANYthing is probably THE most interesting thing there is and that two subject headings to cover Royal Enfield motorcycles (or ANY motorcycle) would be absolutely useless. I was going to say ridiculous, but changed my mind.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:16 pm
+1 for taking it to the dealer. Brakes are pretty useful and if you don't know exactly what you're doing or how they work, please get someone with the skills to show you how.
I guess you know that the majority of braking on a motorbike is done with the front brake, right? So you don't need to crash because the back one isn't working (I know plenty of people who say you only need the front brake but they're wrong and that's a different story). Good luck getting it sorted.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:31 pm
I'd have to heartily concur with others who've advised you just take the bike back to the dealership for the warranty thing...maybe a scheduled servicing while you're there anyhow. If you pump and there's little braking, and then pump again, and it sort of firms up, then you've got air in the line. If it's at all doable, just let the dealership do it. Watch if they'll allow it. But brakes probably aren't the wisest place to start learning the ways of wrenching. If you MUST do it yourself, since the dealership's just too far off or something, then be very careful and ginger with the brake fluid, since it's a fine paint remover too.

If you've bought a Royal Enfield, then you've bought into old school tinkering too. These beasts thrive on a little attention. Accordingly, you'd do very well to grab yourself a copy of the new Haynes Service and Repair Manual  everyone is on about in another thread, and also Pete Snidal's superb one. After all, yours won't be under warranty much longer.

I expect it might have surprised you a little how invested folks here are in the historical metadata of the brand you've bought into. As "Riders of the Archaic" this was to be expected. After all, if you'd wandered into a Civil War Reenactors forum asking, "What's the big deal with Gettysburg?" you might expect a similar reception. Not to worry though...You'll soon get the drift. Suffice it to say that I'm a relative newcomer here as well, and largely have these good folks on this Forum to thank for my own 2005 Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) "Military" being in such fine fettle. So, welcome and hang in there. It's worth it. I promise.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:23:20 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 11:37:39 pm
To be perfectly honest I had absolutely no idea the UCE bikes came with disk rear brakes these days.

cwmoss

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 11:41:44 pm
2017 rear drum, 2018 rear disc. That's what got me very interested in a new Enfield. Going to a dealership tomorrow and will probably be coming home with one.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:37:55 am
Well, maybe I should have prefaced my previous reply with 'If you aren't down the road from your dealer' because, not all of us are. My dealer is just shy of 100 miles away from me.

I guess I view warranty work a bit differently than most, especially considering that I spent 10 years at a Harley dealership.

If my motor self destructs, then yes, I would be going back to the dealer. Some air in the line? Let's be realistic, what harm can come from cracking the bleeder?

But, do what you feel you need to do. I completely understand comfort level. Not everyone is.
2000 Bullet 500