Author Topic: Power commander  (Read 2828 times)

Rusted535

• Scooter
on: February 08, 2019, 05:41:14 pm
Is the Power Commander the only way to adjust the EFI/ECM or is it "open sourced" like some older cars are? I'm not techy, my 25 year old son asked this question lol.
But he raises a good point.
Any thoughts...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:48:07 pm
There are also the Dobeck Electronic Jet, and Powertronic.

Not open source.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:17 pm
The only libre/open source ECU that I've seen is here.

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi

Be great if it could be made to work on an Enfield. I did have a quick look and it's mostly cars using it but there was a thread in their forum for a single cylinder engine. Unfortunately if looked like it was in Russian and I didn't look at the translation.

Any Russian speaking Enfield loving developers in the forum?

edit: The Russian machine is a moped but there is also a two stroke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcNdlPl4fq0&

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:55:56 pm by kelsoo »
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:37:57 am
Search for Megasquirt by Gremlin.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Rusted535

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 02:43:58 pm
Cool stuff guys. I'll check these out. At least there are options available.

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:27 pm
I'm afraid there is a lot of misunderstanding about what is and isn't  free libre open source software (floss). For the benefit of forum members unfamiliar with the terms and as someone that has run floss as my only computer operating system since about 2005, I have some knowledge of what is a very a complex subject.  In floss there are two main camps. "free software" championed buy GNU and "Open source" championed by the OSI . The main difference is philosophy and style of licence but there is a huge amount of overlap.  Those things apart the simplest method to define floss is the four freedoms.

Free software means the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software.

Free software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of free as in free speech, not as in free beer.

More precisely, free software means users of a program have the four essential freedoms

The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose. freedom 0.
The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs. freedom 1. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor. freedom 2.
The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits. freedom 3. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

If  there is no licence the software is non-free proprietary software. If any of the above freedoms is missing it's non-free proprietary software. For example if one reads the licence of  Mega squirt it states "It is a commercial product" i.e. it is NOT "open source"".  The technical term for such software is "freeware". It's free to use but doe not have the four freedoms listed above, free as in beer so to speak. This only goes to show their own misunderstanding of floss. There is nothing in the four freedoms that prohibit using it as a commercial product. In fact it's encouraged.

I have to say I find the idea of being able to create and run our own ECU maps very appealing. With the huge number of UCE units coming out of India you would think it could be crowd funded. I see a massive market for the hardware.

kelsoo
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

Rusted535

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:45 pm
That's awesome, although I understand none of it lol. I'm and old fart when it come to this tech stuff. ???? I do agree it would be sweet if we could have full control over the fuel mapping system. If anyone cracks the "code" let us know. ????????

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:37:42 am
With a Power Commander you can create and run your own maps, and also the Powertronic(I think).
But they are not free hardware.

The actual factory ECU is proprietary Keihin. The other units piggyback on it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:30 pm

I have to say I find the idea of being able to create and run our own ECU maps very appealing. With the huge number of UCE units coming out of India you would think it could be crowd funded. I see a massive market for the hardware.

kelsoo

Not that optimistic about the massive market, neither the crowd funding.

https://www.tindie.com/products/russian/frankenso-diy-kit/

rusefi

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 02:42:35 am
The only libre/open source ECU that I've seen is here.

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi
Technically there is a couple of libre/open source ECUs out there but rusEfi is the one I like most.

Yes two 2-stroke engines are running on this ECU so far but should not be hard to get another run running :) For smaller vehicles "Frankenstein 0.11 DIY parts kit" - which is only 10 by 10cm is probably a more suitable board. Unfortunately this board is not available pre-assembled, you would have to solder it.