Author Topic: F***ing RTV is NOT for gasket repair!!!!  (Read 1243 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:50 pm
so the weather is slightly above freezing and I was going to paint the timing cover.  the oil filter cap has been dripping, but i was going to handle the oil change when it was warmer.  That's when I saw the black crap gumming up the edge of the oil filter cap.  RTV was on both oil drain plugs and all over the oil filter cap.  thankfully, i already had a replacement gasket set for the oil change and the gasket/washer combo on the oil plugs were in good shape once I cleaned off the RTV. 

and in another episode of "if i said I knew what I was doing, i'd be lying" at 2.25qts of oil, the oil fill backed up and i had nice clean oil running down the crank and gearbox.  that was about half a quart that was in the funnel that was feeding the overfill.  that went into the catch pan and patience, which was hard to come by, was required to get the last 1/4 qt from the bottle into the bike. 

and nothing got painted today.  all that's left to paint that is still attached to the bike is the timing cover and air filter housing.  i'm really counting on April being a month of mild weather so i can redo the electrical on the bike and have it running by the reenactment that's at the end of the month.

love my bike, love my bike, love my bike...

stogierob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:50:47 pm
I love my bike too, the shiny new piston and rings arrived yesterday, I was so excited and ready to get the bike back together.  I got all set up and when I opened the package with the rings and  four items came out.  The oil control ring was snapped about 1 inch from the ring gap.  Looked like the shipper had put the package under a refrigerator in the back of the truck.  Anyway, I ordered a new ring set, perhaps it will arrive next week.

I like to remember how it was for my dad to order parts in the 1960's,  the mail would take 6 weeks for the parts store to say the part was on backorder from England, and they would notify me when it came in.  Six to eight months later the parts store would send a letter to say "we can't get that part anymore, you are on your own".

I think there is an appropriate quote from  "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance" that I should put here.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:50 am
i read zen years ago. lol.  Probably appropriate for owning a british bike manufacturer in India with parts mostly available off eBay.  I think i'm doing better than the author as I don't have the inner angst baggage :-)

Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...