Author Topic: New guy here. No questions...yet.  (Read 14230 times)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:36 pm
Thanks again to all that freely share their knowledge. The appreciation may not show through always. But rest assured, it's there...
2000 Bullet 500

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 05:36:04 pm
Before grinding up any fullers earth it's a good idea to check it thoroughly.

If there are any unusual lumps in it that don't seem to want to be ground up but instead they squish out into dark colored pan cakes the cat probably got there first and left you a present.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 11:39:11 pm
Anyhow, can you guys tell it's snowing here yet? If you got this far, it must be snowing there too.

How did you know?!?  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:22 am
Before grinding up any fullers earth it's a good idea to check it thoroughly.

If there are any unusual lumps in it that don't seem to want to be ground up but instead they squish out into dark colored pan cakes the cat probably got there first and left you a present.

You'll want to reserve those "nuggets", set 'em aside to dry, then pop 'em back into that bean grinder with some good dark roasted arabica beans for some of that gourmet "Homemade Kopi Luwak Blend". Beats paying like $80 a cup, right? Why not treat your friends and family to the Taste of Sophistication  for mere pennies on the dollar!

Why does this coffee cup rim resemble a bus station toilet?
You know why...And yes, those are what you think on the saucer
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:44:35 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:12 am

KITTY LITTER...IT'S NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE !!!

Remember the Hustler magazine cartoon that came from?  Hint: It was back in the Anita Bryant days.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 01:53:20 am

If any readers here even vaguely recognize the term "Fuller's Earth", they're either shepherds, or it may be from some old Haynes Service Manual,

A lot of it also used in the movie industry for stuff like dust storms and making clean mud.

Nope, not a shepherd.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 02:38:58 am
       Remember the Hustler magazine cartoon that came from?  Hint: It was back in the Anita Bryant days.

I'm afraid that scroll crawled right out of my own lurid brainpan without Larry's assistance...

Pertinent obligatory well-worn breakfast-related meme
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:48:32 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 06:13:08 pm
Damn you Ace! You jinxed me! Haha

Called it like a sports book. Got some slight warping with the steel. AND, some of those frictions have seen better days.

Hell, probably the original clutch, the bike being what, 19 or 20 years old. Wrong fluid. Sat most of it's life. I don't know why I hoped for better.

So, time to pull the bandaid and order a clutch pack.

In the meantime, for giggles, I'm putting it back together to see how well the land mined litter did soaking oil.
2000 Bullet 500

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:07 pm
If you have to get new friction plates, get the Barnett ones. Much better. If they are not listed for Royal Enfield, they will be listed for Greaves. Same clutch.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:41 pm
I do indeed need to get new frictions. But how about the steels? Better options? Does Barnett make an entire kit, or steel replacements?
2000 Bullet 500

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 03:51:36 pm
I do indeed need to get new frictions. But how about the steels? Better options? Does Barnett make an entire kit, or steel replacements?
I only know about the RE factory as a source for the steels. There may be others, but I don't know of them.
I do know that even new factory steels can be warped, so it might not be a bad idea to get 2 sets and put the best of them into the clutch pack.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 03:55:05 pm
That's exactly why I asked. Thanks again Tom.
2000 Bullet 500

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 10:21:28 pm
Had a fairly successful day of adjusting and troubleshooting on the old IB. 

Got the handlebar and switches adjusted to keep from touching the tank. 

I have an SLA alarm battery on it now and finally got around to securing the terminals to the battery, so now hopefully they won't vibrate loose anymore.

And lastly, I finally figured out why I couldn't downshift, meaning I also couldn't even start off in first. The one linkage pin shifted sideways and would keep the shifter from moving downward. Just silly. Now that that is sorted, it shifts through the gears.

Last thing I need to get to is make a bracket for the carb, to keep it from moving around. 

It's been a bunch of little things that have needed sorted. But with some of the goings on with this bike, it explains why the milage is low for a bike almost twenty years old.
2000 Bullet 500

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: March 03, 2019, 02:48:34 am
Clutch plates.   Several listings for both steel and friction plates on ebay under Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 for about $40 per set from India

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: March 03, 2019, 02:54:17 am
You speak out of turn. There was a physical impossibility keeping me from shifting. The clevis pin.

But yes, clutch plates are bad. Have Barrnet fibres on order...
2000 Bullet 500