Author Topic: New guy here. No questions...yet.  (Read 14191 times)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 02:01:07 pm
Welcome Beardo, you've fallin in with good company here. Post a pic of you Enfield when you have a chance. This forum had a great photo gallery at one time showing the members bikes but sadly it's gone now. As for me I live in the past. This is a photo of my 2000 Bullet, old Mustang an Harley backdrop.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 02:30:15 pm
I have attempted many times to post a photo or two, and I always get an error message, being either took too long or the file was too big. I'm working off a cell phone. Not that means anything, I couldn't resize pictures that were in an actual computer. I've posted some on Advrider in the Enfield thread without an issues. So, I've given up on it over here.

What is that old FL? Pan or shovel, it's hard to tell from this angle.
2000 Bullet 500

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 03:38:40 pm
It's a 59 pan.
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 03:42:00 pm
Left side
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:41 pm
Beautiful bike. My boss has a trio of Pans. His 1960 was the first Pan I ever started. Imagine my surprise when it started easier than my old Shovel. And let's not talk about a mag fired Sporty. Ha ha
2000 Bullet 500

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 04:25:38 pm
Thanks, as far as posting pics go, I don't have photobucket or any other picture hosting so I put pictures on using the attachments and other options deal and it lets me take em right from my computer. Only thing  you gotta click on em to get full screen once posted. I ain't to computer savvy.
Pushrod

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 05:44:27 pm
Finally got another chance to tinker with the Bullet today. I wanted to check on two things. Clutch adjustment and primary fluid, since I was having major difficulties in clutch/shifting engagements.

Good thing I did so. Both aspects required attention. The clutch rod adjustment is very much like adjusting an old Ironhead Sportster. Which was out of adjustment.

Next was the primary fluid, or rather lube! Either what came out was a very heavy motor oil, or a light weight gear oil. Either way, that alone can cause great difficulty shifting gears.

Both cases have been rectified, but with snow and ice on the ground, testing will have to wait.
2000 Bullet 500

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:32 pm
Got a chance to take the bike for a quick spin. No dice. Whatever was in there before has made the clutch next to impossible to utilize.

So, what is the best method, if any, for cleaning these clutch plates. Only 2,500 miles on the bike, but I haven't a clue as to how long the clutch was soaking in the wrong fluid.
2000 Bullet 500

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 11:31:03 pm
I'd use spray brake cleaner and a cloth. It evaporates quickly.
Lurker on a Vespa

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 11:53:30 pm
You are the third person today that mentioned brake cleaner.

The irony of this all is, with all the years, and all the bikes, I've never had to do this before. Strange.

As it is, I'm confident I'll be able to get this clutch pack back to good as new.

I'm really digging the super simplicity of these old buggers.
2000 Bullet 500

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 02:04:32 am
The simplicity takes me back to BSA and Triumph days. I guess Harleys were once simple too.
Lurker on a Vespa

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 03:20:07 am
Be aware that warped steel clutch plates are very common, and cause clutch drag. Pleas check them for flatness.
Also, it is best to use neutral when stopped, and not hold the clutch lever in. Holding the clutch makes the clutch overheat, and it will warp the steel plates if they aren't already warped.
The clutches on these machines are marginal, and have some quirks.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 07:15:16 am
Checking steels is a given (or rather, should be) when a clutch comes apart.

I'm still betting it's the lube coupled with low 30's air temps. Not a good combo.

The early 900 Sportsters had their fair share of quirks, including the 4 piece clutch release rod design. But this bugger is far easier to work on.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 03:10:36 pm

[...Snip!]

So, what is the best method, if any, for cleaning these clutch plates. Only 2,500 miles on the bike, but I haven't a clue as to how long the clutch was soaking in the wrong fluid.

Yes, spray brake cleaners, carb cleaners and all those sort of aerosol hydrocarbon spews will at least superficially  clean the oils and grease off of fiber clutch plates, brake linings and so forth, while having the added benefit of their exotic hepto-mutando-wacky-thane-9 hydrocarbons giving your future generations potentially useful gills or extra toes. I think they're what those Proposition 65 Warning eggheads (that's "boffins" to you Britnoids here) may have actually originally had in mind--not warning stickers to avoid licking your valve collets or dire advisories against having kitty litter sprinkled with old paint chips instead of corn flakes for breakfast.

KITTY LITTER...IT'S NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE !!!

Indeed!  It turns out that the original kitty litter, which has a semi-fascinating history, was simply something called "Fuller's Earth", otherwise known as "Bentonite Clay" or, more exotically, "Multani Mitti" in the Indian subcontinent, and is mostly composed of aluminum magnesium silicates, also known as calcium or sodium bentonite.

If any readers here even vaguely recognize the term "Fuller's Earth", they're either shepherds, or it may be from some old Haynes Service Manual, where it is often the mysterious substance recommended for de-greasing drum brake shoe linings that may have been fouled by over-eager greasing of the operating cam or leaky wheel cylinders. That's because Fuller's Earth's chief property is the vigorous absorption of oils and moisture. Toss an oily brake shoe or fiber clutch plate into some powdery Fuller's Earth, and in a day or two it'll suck the oils right out of it. Rinse with water, let dry, and she'll be good as new and nicely "grippy" again all the way through its shoes or fibery bits.

The stuff's also used by the gals in lots of goopy facial masks, and it will also really help mild acne. Unfortunately, this feminine allure also explains why when you Google "Fuller's Earth" you most often find the stuff being sold for "stupid money," like several bucks an ounce. But you know the Bilgemaster, right? He loves him some good cheap bargain shit. So, here's the tip: Special Kitty Natural Clay Cat Litter, Unscented, 25 lbs. at your local Wallyworld for just $4.24 (that's 17 cents a pound). It's 100% Bentonite Clay, otherwise known as, that's right, "Fuller's Earth". Here's the MSDS to prove it.

Grind a bit of this up into a powder, maybe with your coffee or spice grinder, toss in your oily clutch plates or brake shoes, and it'll leech those slippery goos right out of them. Got a cat? Great! It will happily crap on the rest. Or, grab a nice small empty jar, grind up a bit more, toss in a bit of honey, maybe a dash of coconut milk from the local bodega and perhaps some Hershey's cocoa powder for aroma, make a paste, and there's your exotic personalized facial mask for your gal or wonder-curative for a favored pimply teenager. Protip from your Uncle Bilgey: Never divulge the ingredients! Simply tell them a wise old Bilgemaster of the primitive Chennai Clan once gave you the recipe and swore you to absolute secrecy on pain of severely descended testicles requiring special footwear. Trust me. She'll just be happier that way.

So, what about the rest, you ask? Got a gun safe or some other cabinet or toolbox containing stuff that reacts poorly to humidity or moisture? a damp corner of the garage? the musty trunk of a '71 Oldsmobile? Just pour some litter into a paper bag, tape it shut, and there's your cheapo "green" de-humidifier.

Keep a bit around the garage or workshop in an old coffee can or something for oil droppings or fuel spills. Just shake it on, wait a bit, and sweep it away. You know that special "high-tech" grainy stuff they keep near fuel pumps for spills? Guess what that is.

Anyhow, can you guys tell it's snowing here yet? If you got this far, it must be snowing there too.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:07:09 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 03:47:49 pm
Actually, I do have a cat. And already have some of the 'cheap stuff' on hand.

I had completely forgot about the Haynes manuals instructing to bury contaminated parts in litter.

Word to the masses. Don't take unnecessary blows to the skull!!!
2000 Bullet 500