Author Topic: New guy here. No questions...yet.  (Read 14004 times)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
on: February 05, 2019, 03:00:25 pm
So, the last six months have been indeed very interesting for me. Employment, of many years, working at a Harley Davidson dealership ended back in July. And that set off a chain of events, which I seem to be still strolling through.

Late last year, I bought my first Royal Enfield, a Himalayan. And while, it is a terrific machine, it really wasn't what I was hoping it would be. I had visions of an 'updated' Yamaha XT500 dancing in my head. While the Himalayan is appreciably better in every regard to the old XT's, they are just simply two differing machines.

So, my mind wandered to a 500 Bullet. I had never ridden one, and honestly, had only seen/sat on one many years ago, at a dealer in Columbus Ohio.

I contacted the dealer about trading in the Himalayan for a leftover Bullet, all the while knowing I would be taking a bath on the deal.

Two days before going to the dealer, I saw a 2013 Bullet on Craigslist with only 1,214 miles, and a one owner bike. Basically new.

Called the dealer to call off the trade and went out to Wheeling to buy the 2013.

The first ride, affirmed that this was more what I was wanting. It had actual thump to it. And truth be told, the low down torque I wanted, compared to the Himalayan.

But something was still missing.

It has all these modern features that are meant to ease riders minds. Electric start, fuel injection, lights and gizmos everywhere. Hmmm

I found myself looking up carb converion kits. Looking up how to delete the electric starter, paring down the overly complicated wiring harness.

Insanity! I tried to bury my thoughts, but my mind never seems to stop.

No, I wanted...no, I NEEDED something far more raw and visceral.

Three weeks after I brought the 2013 home, I spotted a 2000 Bullet while, once again, on Craigslist, though this time looking for gear.

Two days later, the seller was dropping it off in my driveway.

This...THIS...was what I have been searching for!

A carburetor. A four speed with a kicker only. Drum brakes, front and rear. Points ignition. Just a dead nuts simple machine, that oozes character and visceral emotion.

I know you already understand what I'm talking about. But it is something I seem to have been searching for, and never finding, for a long time now.

For those wondering about the Himalayan, and the UCE. Well, they both have found new homes...with family members! I inadvertently created a Royal Enfield motorcycling family. Literally.
2000 Bullet 500

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:24:31 pm
Welcome to the huddle of quixotic dreamers. Park your bike here if you like. Oil drips are not an issue.
Lurker on a Vespa

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:06 pm
Cool story!

Welcome!
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Unlucky_soul

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:04:23 pm
Welcome... You came to the right spot... lots to learn here. Please do send a pic of your ride :)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:11:56 pm
I did attempt attaching a picture, just to start off with. However, an error message presented itself.

On a side note, I already know I'll be converting back to right side shift, at some point soon. That mandated left side linkage is awful. It might even be worse than the 75-76 Sportster linkages. Absurd laws to help save us from ourselves....
2000 Bullet 500

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:55:05 pm
I did attempt attaching a picture, just to start off with. However, an error message presented itself.

The easiest way is to click on Attachments then Drag and Drop your picture into the "Choose File" box. Try that. It might work for you.

And be sure the picture is not too humungous.

You are just the type of guy who I might sell my much-modified and tweaked 2008 AVL to. IF I ever sell it, that is  :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:02:52 pm
I was convinced to buy my 2000 used after the dealer told me the UCE is crap, convincing me that he was.
The IB is a DIY machine and parts are easy to get. Some of them even work!

I did the shift conversion 2 months ago using the parts list in Snidal's manual (a must-have) and was the improvements are beyond simply shifting better. Rear braking is way better along with discarding about five pounds of linkage and gaining clearance around the countershaft sprocket for the chain. I also added a sealed bearing for $4 and replaced the grease with gear oil.
Lurker on a Vespa

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:03:17 pm
Yeah tooseevee, I'm not too technologically savvy to understand how to drag or resize on a cell phone. Afterall, that's why I'm here with an antiquated machine.

Stanley, you are correct about that. More than just one benefit for going right side. I'll have a learn curve to make up for, but these machines don't seem too terribly difficult. Just need to learn the nuances.

By the way, I want to thank everyone involved in getting my registration to the forum sorted out. It is very much appreciated!
2000 Bullet 500

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:47:38 pm
Welcome to the forum, Beardo.Great story, and great to hear about the creation of an RE family. You've not only found homes for your UCE and Himi, but one for yourself, too!So welcome to the Zoo!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 02:28:10 am
Welcome, Beardo. 

Let the fun and games begin!  may your choice of bike have better luck than I have.  I had a 2008 that was a between designs model, so nothing matched any of the online references.  Now i've got a '77 that doesn't have an online manual and is two years after the british engines shipped to india were used up, as far as I know.  been too busy repainting the thing to bother with identifying all of the markings on the bike.

Stogierob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:17:38 am
Welcome aboard, Beardo! I've had a 2005 in that green "Military" trim for just about a year. Having sorted out a few minor "getting to know each other" issues, I now think it might be the best bike I've ever had. Great little tourer, if you're doing it right (Google Maps' "Avoid Highways" option is your friend). Looking forward to seeing a few pics of yours. You mention going over Wheeling. Where are you? I'm in Virginia, just south of DC.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 01:45:34 pm
Welcome aboard Beardo, bought my kick only '05 for all the same reasons plus NO PLASTIC ('cept horn button etc.) As you read through the posts you will notice that there are two ways owners go when they buy this one of a kind "Untainted by Technology" bike. Some, like myself, keep it old tech and enjoy it's "oil lamp"nature and memory inducing "time machine" qualities. Others choose to update to modern tech. Either path is fine, but I do equate hot rodding a pre unit bullet with giving Granny meth to get the shopping done faster. Either way you will enjoy your one lunged rascal.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 04:09:53 pm
Bilgemaster, it's funny you mention the word tourer, as that is exactly what is planned for next year. My cousin and I are, taking a trip, in 2020. Which will leave me with plenty of time to do a shake down on this bike. The stunning thing for me is, this is a low mileage bike having only 2,486 miles when I took delivery. What is up with these bikes just sitting around??

I'm in the Pittsburgh/western Pa area. Lots of good roads around the tri state area. It's too bad winter craps on our fun.
2000 Bullet 500

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:53 pm
Welcome, and a good choice of bike. I don't agree though that the IB is a dead simple machine, too complex for the millenials!  ;)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 05:29:53 pm
Well, dead nuts simple, for those of us that weren't brought up teething on smart phones!

In a side note, having just come back from putting a whopping sum of five, count them, 5, whole miles on the IB, I now realize why this bike has such low mileage. And this is where I amend a statement.

The left side linkage isn't probably worse than the 75-76 Sportster linkage. It IS worse than the 75-76 Sportster linkage. By a long shot. Now, I obviously don't know the state of the clutch yet, but I'm not banking on the fact that even if I make it perfect, could it compensate for that abomination. It doesn't help that my lower left leg was mangulated in a bad motorcycle wreck years ago.
2000 Bullet 500