Author Topic: Video: "How To Fit a Tyre Without Levers! Craig Jones shows you how."  (Read 1308 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Well, my very first annual Virginia State Inspection on my 2005 Bullet 500ES "Military" has just run out. It's been a great year, and having put over 5,000 miles on her, more than doubling the mileage on the clock, she's well overdue for some well-earned fresh rubber. A glistening pair of Dunlop K70s waits in the hallway for the Polar Vortex to make its way elsewhere. They'll replace what are most likely the original equipment 14 year old Avon Speedmaster IIs.

In the meantime, seeing as how it's been maybe 20 years since I wrestled a new tire onto a rim, I thought as a refresher course I'd check out YouTube while the glaciers recede. I came across this nifty how-to on one of my favorite channels, On Yer Bike  titled, "How To Fit a Tyre Without Levers! Craig Jones shows you how."   Enjoy!

Incidentally, does anyone here really bother balancing their Bullet's wheels who isn't hanging around the Bonneville Salt Flats waiting for their start time? Just wondering. Any other tips are also most welcome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:01:46 AM by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Bill, if your K70 installation experience is anything like mine, you'll have no issues.  Getting the Skidmasters off the rims was the hardest part; I think I could have used a couple of #2 pencils to lever the new K70's into place.

This was a surprise, however, on a year-old bike hardly ridden in any kind of weather:

I never balanced them...

Stanley

• Bulleteer
That rust looks familiar. My Bullet got new Avon Roadriders last year. Using my Parnes balancer, I was stunned by the amount of weight it took for each wheel to offset the weld joint. Used up about a foot of tape weights split between both wheels. Other bikes used just a few 7 gram stickers!

The one advantage of tube tires is easily breaking the bead with your foot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:58:40 PM by Stanley »

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Picture of rusty wheel is/was exactly what the wheels on my 01 Bonneville looked like when I replaced tires at 8k miles.   Wire brushed, applied rust converter and sealed all spoke nipples with clear nail polish.   Sold it in 2015 at 16k miles.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Well, there you go, then... I'm not special.  Whew!