Author Topic: Maybe timing?  (Read 42156 times)

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #165 on: March 08, 2019, 01:48:02 pm
thanks Bilgemaster, I'm rooting for me as well! :)

I think it seems more drawn out than it really is owning to the gorilla mechanic tactics (mild manner everyman by day, get out to the shop for a quick strike under the cover of darkness after the family has gone to bed) that my life circumstances dictate. Not complaining--very happy with my situation, and oddly happy with, and excited about, this bike, even though I've really only worked on it and have barely ridden it.
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #166 on: March 08, 2019, 02:42:18 pm
Well, unless something has not been reported or understood by us, I think that the suspects come down to the decompressor, or rings not sealing to the bore due to break in issues.

For the record, a stock 500 with about 6:1 compression is supposed to have about 115 psi on a compression test. At 80 psi, they might not start, or they might.

In most 612 builds, the common problem is too much compression, at like 185 psi, which causes detonation that can be damaging.
So you see, there is this huge disparity in your engine situation compared to either stock or typical 612.
It needs to be sussed and sorted.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #167 on: March 08, 2019, 02:47:30 pm
I'm curious about the rings not sealing to the bore issue. Mainly because I don't understand how I'd control that. Is it out of my control? Is it something that happens 9or not) during break in?
2007 sportster 883, yamaha vino 125, 2005 Nfield sixty 5 military with Hitchcock 612 kit

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: March 08, 2019, 03:19:25 pm
I'm curious about the rings not sealing to the bore issue. Mainly because I don't understand how I'd control that. Is it out of my control? Is it something that happens 9or not) during break in?

It depends on how much break-in was done before you got it. If they didn't ride it before they sold it to you, it could be as simple as you needing to do the proper break-in procedure. So the question would be, "How many miles are on this piston/rings?".

If it hasn't had any, then you are in luck, and you can do the break-in, and all should be okay.

If it has been ridden a lot on the rebuild, then maybe the rings didn't get proper break-in, and may not be sealing well. This may not be as easy to correct, but it can be corrected.

Or maybe the decompressor stil has a problem.

But, this is all still a bunch of conjecture at this point.
We don't know other possibilities, such as cams installed off the dots. We have no idea about what went on with this build. As a result, we are left to guess and test and inspect things to try and find out what is going on.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #169 on: March 08, 2019, 04:28:18 pm
that makes sense.

The word I got is that the rebuild has about 600 miles on it. The person I got this info from is not the person I bought it from, but rather the person who had the rebuild done. This person lives in another state (Tennessee) doesn't know me from Adam, and could have easily put my email to him, asking questions about the bike, in the trash. Instead, He answered all questions, has not papered over any of the rough parts, and seems to have been straight up. this is a long way of saying, I believe the rebuild has about 600 miles on it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:31 pm
Well then, let's hope it's the decompressor.

If the rings haven't seated by now, they aren't going to.

I think the previous compression test with oil squirted into the cylinder seemed to indicate that the rings may not be the problem.

Something IS the problem though, and it needs to be found.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #171 on: March 08, 2019, 08:47:48 pm
I've got my fingers crossed for decompressor.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #172 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:26 pm
  Just reading through all of this ....  and with the low compression, I can't help thinking inlet valve timing.  A valve that may be closing a bit too late.   Good valve seal, good head to barrel seal, your decomp didn't seem to be the problem and etc ?   Did you check your Cam timing at all ?   I'm not an Iron Barrel guy at all , nor familiar with that  Hitchcocks long stroke kit.  But I gotta think the cam timing requirements have to be a bit different then a stock motor....

You might want to consider increasing the lash a bit on the on that inlet valve as a test.. by readjusting your push rods.  Then do another compression test.  If you find that your compression is  getting better  ?   Then you might be on the right track.   Increasing the lash will shorten the cams duration, and close that valve a bit earlier.  Closing the valve earlier , will build more compression.    You may wind up finding that your rods are adjusted too tight ?   Or you may need to advance the intake cam a few degree's?   A key way that was machined in a few degrees off on the crank shaft ?  Or you need the right profile cam for your motor ?   And etc...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:07:54 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #173 on: March 09, 2019, 04:42:01 am
GHG, that is a possibility too.
I mentioned it a few posts back, but didn't get into it until the decompressor issue is eliminated as a possibility.

These builds that are done by previous owners can be frustrating because we never know exactly what they did unless we tear down and look.

If we have to get into that, I know about the iron barrel cam timing, and can talk him thru that. It isn't too hard to check it after getting the timing cover off.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #174 on: March 09, 2019, 12:57:40 pm
thanks, both of you guys.....that's what I was thinking also....lets eliminate the decompressor first, then move on to other things if need be.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #175 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:41 pm
Ok, I need some help. where can I buy a decompressor for my bike in the US? I tried our host and was told they didn't have them in stock, looked around on the 'net with no luck, so I finally broke down and ordered from India, (figured even though it would take a while, i wasn't in that much of a hurry) Two months and change later, I'm still waiting.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:53 pm
Probably Hitchcock.
Not in the US, but they ship pretty quick.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #178 on: March 20, 2019, 06:20:40 pm
Don't forget to get the three washers with it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ivantheterrible

• Bulleteer
Reply #179 on: April 16, 2019, 11:42:57 pm
Hey, remember me? :)
Finally (Finally!) got the decompressor. actually, the decompressor delete plug. Should have gone with Hitchcock, to begin with. Would have saved me MONTHS of waiting.
Did a compression test with the new decompression plug and got a reading of 110 without oil, and 135 with oil down the sparkplug hole. Still not where I'd like it to be, but it's encouraging and gives me hope that I might get it running and maybe the oil rings will seat. I need a new battery, so maybe I'll be able to fuss with it this week.