Author Topic: Does this prop stand look right?  (Read 1607 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:02 pm
Greetings all

my RE350 leans too far over when on the prop stand.  as I'm removing most everything else to get the bike cleaned up, the stand was next on the list.  I was hoping the lean was due to a bent stand.  after removing it from the bike, i found that what looks like a bushing doesn't fit in the base of the stand.  the hole is too large for the rod that it fits over on the bike.  This is a basic 'what the hell?' moment...  Picts are below.  Can someone explain this?

As always,
Thanks!
Rob

1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:59:06 pm
I'm wondering if that's an aftermarket installation because of the hex socket on the pivot of a chromed stand. Not what a 77 bike would have.  I would make a new bushing from tubing with a hacksaw and file or find someone with a lathe.
Lurker on a Vespa

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:40:04 am
and that is why i posted the picts!!!  Thanks, Stanley!  I had though that the bushing was wrong for the stand, not that the stand was wrong for the bike.  There's a swap meet next month, so hopefully I'll be able to find a better prop stand.  I think that even if I fix the bushing/loose fit issue, the bike will still lean over too far. 

And i can't even leave the prop stand off the bike because the foot peg spaces off the prop stand mount, but if i'm figuring out one bushing, maybe i'll just make larger one and work off just the center stand.

Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:50:47 pm
That looks like one of those ultra-cheapo "$16.99 delivered" eBay ones from India like I put on my own 2005 "Military". I had to cut down the "Dist. Tube LH Black - Footrest" (Part No. 801033 [new] / 110230 [old]) about an inch to fit, and then shimmed with a few random washers. It still leans a bit more than I'd like, but hasn't dropped the bike yet. Then again, for any stop for more than a minute or three I'll hump it up on the center stand.

If you're just pulling that sidestand off anyhow, you could probably still just use that bushing and a washer or three to shim out the footpeg mount.

FYI, there IS another more rearward-mounted "military-style" sidestand like this one that kind of looks like a machine gun tripod leg. I don't believe it's period correct for what you're going for, and most folks with them seem not to like them much, most often owing to their reportedly extreme lean angle. But I thought you should know about that option. Constantly needing to yank the beast up onto her center stand for every little stop gets old quick.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:39:18 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:27 am
i've looked at the prong style prop stands, and just don't think those are a good idea for soft dirt, which is where the bile will be parked most of the time at events.  hell, i'm already planning on having a piece of plywood with me for the center stand.  I'll see what I find at the swap meet in the middle of february and make up my mind then.  as it is, I realized I have several items to sell at the swap meet, so it might be a self-funding trip!

Thanks
Rob