Author Topic: The Haunting Headlight Problem...  (Read 15084 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 06:51:27 pm
You got to order a headlamp bulb in America??

But--don't you have accessory shops?

No not realy Clamp, the only shops that have any parts are the original dealers, I have a Honda and a Yamaha dealer here but they really don't carry anything of use as far as standard parts are concerned.  My closest dealer is 75 miles away.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 07:57:26 pm
I haven't checked but I would think any Walmart, Autozone, etc would carry that type of sealed beam.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 08:23:29 pm
Autozone was a no-go --- they couldn't even order it. None of the O'Reillys around where I live had any in stock, but could order them at a price of $15. Haven't checked Wal-Mart, and for some reason, the thought never crossed my mind. I'll probably check with them and/or some of the motorcycle shops when I get off of work. 

Is a heavy-duty headlight for this bike out of the question?
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:37:31 pm
  If you could find something like a long life Sylvania I doubt it would hurt anything.  I know there are severe duty lamps made for off road vehicles that supposedly take vibration and shock much better than stock, just don't know where you would get those here.  Since you do have the part number off the headlamp you may be able to search to internet for one.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 10:00:19 pm
Maybe some of you guys that are more up on the electrical system than me can pitch in here, but I always thought the head light was powered direct from the altenator and the regulator wasn't in the circuit.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 01:52:32 pm
I've heard that, at least, the newer ones are powered off the alternator. However, that would have to be regulated as the alternator output is correlated to RPM. Output being from 30 to 50 volts. I'm not exactly sure on the exact voltage. but I don't think lights have that range of operation. Seems like there would be a regulator for the headlight since it's supposed to be powered off the alt.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 05:11:58 pm
On my 2001 bike there is definitely a separate AC regulator for the headlamp circuit and its dedicated alternator winding.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 05:41:35 pm
If that is the case it would seem prudent to connect the headlamp to the battery circuit and let the regulator cope with it that way.

What a silly way of doing it?
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 06:18:55 pm
Trouble is the DC system is probably a bit weak to supply all those extra watts for the headlamp.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 02:54:37 am
The power for the head light still comes from the same stator coils.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 07:58:00 am
Even on machines with 4 alternator output wires? I have a pair for the DC circuit , and a separate pair for the AC circuit.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 05:55:03 am
Well, there's good and bad news. And once again I need some help.

First, let me say thank you, thank you, thank you to Leonard who was gracious enough to send me two of his unused headlamps. I couldn't find one of these suckers ANYWHERE -- 3 motorcycle shops, every Autozone and O'Reillys I could find -- nothing. I plugged in Leonard's headlamp and everything was working fine, high-beam and low-beam. I rode it a couple nights and had no problems. Leonard, and everyone on this forum who continues to offer their assistance and encouragement, only solidify the feeling that I made the right choice in buying into the Enfield community.

Now for the bad news: I rode my bike to work tonight, and after my shift, my bike just flat out wouldn't start. I immediately suspected that one (or both) fuses had blown. I was right. I checked the fuse under my seat and it was blown in two. This marks the THIRD fuse that has blown on me since I bought my bike.

I bought my bike brand-new a little over a month ago. I have just under 300 miles on it, and have been very meticulous about breaking it in properly, including the advice on "throttle control" offered by Leonard and others. In the past month (and 250 or so miles) my bike has blown two headlamps and three fuses. At this point, I'm utterly convinced it's an electrical problem and seriously need my dealer to take a look at it and get it fixed.

Also, I noticed that, for the first time ever, my bike is now sputtering and coughing. It only happens when I'm in a higher gear (4th or 5th), but not while I'm in lower gears. When in the higher gears on the way home tonight, it would cough and sputter and act like it was gonna stall on me.  Two possibly important points to consider:

1) halfway out on the 15 mile drive to work, I had to switch over to "Reserve" not realizing I was as low on gas as I was (the joys and woes of wonderful gas mileage, I presume). I then had to drive it another 8 miles on the way back after work to get more gas.  So maybe it was just a matter of the gas cycling through the system, I don't know -- but it continued to sputter and cough the remaining 7 miles home with a full tank.

2) It was cold as hell tonight. Like, really cold -- with condensation EVERYWHERE. So maybe it was the cold causing it to cough and sputter?

I don't know --- does anybody have any other idea why my bike might be popping and coughing and sputtering? It's a new bike, 300 miles, and I've been trying to be as careful and precise with the break-in as possible.

Thanks for all the support!

2008 Military Iron

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:14 pm
I dunno if this will help, but at this point I'll toss it in.
I don't believe it's relevant to your problem, but it may send you down the correct path.
 I just pick up my Military and last night I was all set to take it out to, "run it in".
When I turned the handle bar all the way to the right the bike died! No power.
A few curses and a few checks reviled the main fuse popped??????/ ??
Put a new one in and refire it up, turn the bars and... same thing.
This went on for 4 fuses, trying to narrow down what in the world? Yank a wire here, push a wire bunch there.
I took the head light assy out and began looking at all the wires, connectors.
Where the turn signal plug in, the male part was a 1/8" longer than the plastic shield, and when I would turn the bars, somewhere it would rub against metal and POP!
I'd pull your head light assy out and lookie at the connectors. Tape up ANY that look like they are exposed.
After that, I'd look at the over all voltage.
I'd take a multi meter and wire it to the battery and tape it to the bars and look at the voltage when it's running.
In the real world voltage would be less than 14.5,but anymore than 12.5 volts would be cool . Check when you rev it up, that's when the max would be max!
You would think if the regulator was bad, you'd see it in the amp gauge on the dash? It'd go WAY over when you rev-ed it up??
Do your metal boxes rattle?? Mine do. ::)
Good luck and keep us posted.
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 05:27:47 pm
I am with Joe 28 here. An intermittent short circuit is a strong suspect. If no hard contact was made as wiring was being disturbed the sparking and arcing might not blow the fuse immediately but it could rob the ignition circuit of power and give you some misfires.

My rear turn signal wiring was of quite a poor standard. Careless routing had allowed a ground wire to chafe through after only 3000 km. Luckily, this in itself was not going to leave me stranded. So check that rear light assembly for wiring gremlins. My headlamp is also a pretty busy confined space, with  many bullet and spade connectors, most of which I have added insulation and physical support to.

Chas
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 06:27:00 pm
Thanks for the tip guys. When I get home I'm going to give the wiring a thorough inspection a with a roll of electrical tape in hand and ready. This seems to be a (fairly) common problem with Bullets. I'm really hoping this is all it is, and not a regulator or other electrical problem that will require the dealer to drive over 4 hours out to my place.

But what about the coughing and popping that the bike has been doing in higher gears recently? Any ideas on that?

2008 Military Iron