Author Topic: The Haunting Headlight Problem...  (Read 15208 times)

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
on: October 07, 2008, 06:21:42 pm
As most of you probably already know, I was having some headlight problems on my brand new '08 Military. Namely, the bugger just wouldn't work. Also, I had blown two fuses over the course of a week just taking the bike out for short rides.

Called the dealer up, and he sent a guy out to me (over 4 hours away) with a brand-new Bullet to take parts from. The mechanic came out, ran diagnostics on everything and all the wires checked out alright, everything looked grounded, and everything looked like it was getting power okay. He swapped out my headlight for a new one, and everything worked perfectly. Headlight came on, high-beam and low-beam both worked, wasn't blowing any fuses.

This was all about a week and a half ago. In the meantime, I had been taking my bike out on short 10or 15 mile runs every couple days or so to break it in. The headlight's been fine. One night, I drove the bike out to work about 20 miles away at night, and the headlight was again fine.

Just two days ago, I went to take the bike out for a nighttime spin, and POOF! The headlight problem resurrected itself to haunt me yet again.  This time, the high-beam worked fine, but the low-beam wasn't working at ALL. Also, there appears to be, yet again, some black charring/smoke at the very top of the inside of the headlight. 

What in the world?? Everything had checked out just fine, both beams worked perfectly for about a week -- now only the high-beam is working. The low-beam pooped out and now there's some smoke at the top of the lens.  I've been staying cool and calm while I've been experiencing all of the 'kinks' -- but at this point, it's starting to get a bit frustrating.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:50:56 pm
I think the smoke area is from the bulb blowing.
The other sounds like some abnormal voltages, intermittent or otherwise.

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:09:19 pm
Should I just look at getting a heavy-duty headlight -- would that work out for me? Or should I be getting the regulator looked at?

2008 Military Iron

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:16:56 pm
I would have that reg checked to make sure that the on-load voltage to the bulb is not excessive.

I wonder if handling the old bulb contaminated the glass envelope with finger grease and made a hot spot. This can make halogen ones blow.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 08:33:42 pm
I apologize in advance if this comes off as a completely ignorant question -- but regarding these things, I'm quite admittedly ignorant:

Is there a way to fix a burnt out filament for the low-beam light in the headlight?

When I spoke with one of the Enfield mechanics over the phone, I thought I remember him suggesting changing the low-beam "bulb" that's burnt out, as the high-beam still works fine.

When I take the headlight off -- isn't THAT the bulb?  All I see inside of it are what look like two filaments: one for the high-beam, and one for the low-beam. The low-beam filament is burnt out, and there is some black smoke near the top of the headlight.

My question is: do I have to replace that entire $100 headlight, or can I just fix that burnt-out low-beam filament? 

2008 Military Iron

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:44:34 pm
  Your headlight is a sealed beam unit so you have to replace the headlamp, unless someone somewhere changed it to a European type unit, but then you would be changing the bulb.  Check out your owners manual it's very clear on how to change out the headlamp.  The part number for a standardreplacement is Z90442 available from CMW for $14.95.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 05:09:22 am
I don't guess CMW has the part on their website, do they? The only thing I see on the Enfield store is the $100 headlight. I've tried checking Autozones and other stores, and nobody seems to carry a similar bulb. Still frustrated I keep blowing these things out...it HAS to be a reg problem...

2008 Military Iron

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:24 am
The first thing we need to clear up is what you have, is it a bulb or a 5 " sealed beam.  It should be a 5" sealed beam unless a change has been made.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 05:38:53 am
A sealed beam -- whatever came in stock is what I have (the burnt-out stock was replaced with the stock from another Enfield, which is now burnt-out as well).

It's a 12.8V Wagner 4467 50/35 H5 ---- if that helps.

2008 Military Iron

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:47:33 am
Couple additional things I just noticed:

First, where are you getting the part number, 1Blackwolf1? I don't see that part number anywhere on the website, and it's nowhere in my manual at all. Further, the section on "changing the headlamp" is pretty much useless. On page 111 all it really says is "change the light."

Second, under the "Technical Specifications" section of my manual, it says the head lamp is (or should be) a 12V 60/55.

So if my headlamp is a 12.8V 50/35, would that be much different, and would that be a (the) problem? If so, why the hell was it stock?

*confused*

2008 Military Iron

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:58 am
You have a charge problem, the first indication of a high charge is blown bulbs.

You need to check charge voltage across the batt at some decent revs say 3000.

It will continue to blow bulbs and will be overcharging your battery. Is it needing regular top ups?
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:30:55 pm
Couple additional things I just noticed:

First, where are you getting the part number, 1Blackwolf1? I don't see that part number anywhere on the website, and it's nowhere in my manual at all. Further, the section on "changing the headlamp" is pretty much useless. On page 111 all it really says is "change the light."

Second, under the "Technical Specifications" section of my manual, it says the head lamp is (or should be) a 12V 60/55.

So if my headlamp is a 12.8V 50/35, would that be much different, and would that be a (the) problem? If so, why the hell was it stock?

*confused*

I got that number out of the 2008 Parts & Accessories catalog from CMW, if you haven't got one yet order it quick.  As you've noticed you can't get much for an RE at a part store except maybe a spark plug.  When you go to the parts side of this website type the number in as search query see what comes up.  And according to the book it should be a 50/35W bulb used. 

As far as changing the light look at the trim ring exactly at the bottom, remove the phillips screw that holds the ring to the nacelle,  You can't remove the wrong one it's the only one through the rim.  Using a small flat tip screwdriver you are going to pop the ring off the nacelle.  Be careful some pop off easily, some do not.  There are now three screws you loosen in the holder ring, once loosened the ring rotates and voila, you have the lamp out of the nacelle.  I believe you have the reassembly under control. 

I won't go into explaining why RE only has a 50/35W lamp (Ohms law and all), suffice to say the stock charging system isn't heavy enough to take the extra load of a higher watt bulb.  I am curious to the short bulb life, sounds like you're getting a power surge/spike.  Or you have a real Gremlin there, I agree with Clamp do a charging voltage check with a multimeter and see what you get.  If that is above the 12.8 volts that the headlight is suppose to operate at that would do it, smoke the headlight everytime.  Hope this helps, Will.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:57:19 pm by 1Blackwolf1 »
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:38 pm
Just checked the store, I did a search for the headlight bulb'. so you'll have to call the store to order it.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 01:43:32 pm
You got to order a headlamp bulb in America??

But--don't you have accessory shops?
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 03:28:22 pm
with cmw a phonecall away, and next day ups of fedex delivery i wouldn't consider driving 49 miles to an ascessory shop. (unless it was a beautyfull sunny day)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer