Author Topic: For the record, shifting problem solved, and victory!!!  (Read 1867 times)

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Hi!  After and hour on line with my friend in India, he figured out the problem.  For the record, the problem is I could not engage any gears beyond 1st unless I used the neutral finder.  But I could down shift from 4>1.

Recall that my friend and I had to replace all the gears because they shattered some years ago.  My fault, looks like there was a slow drip from the gear box, and the oil was low.  In my defense, it seems like it happened when running, so there wasn't a large pool of oil on my garage floor and I just ignored it.  Also, the oil that was in there was shot.  It was more like runny scrambled eggs than oil/grease.

Ok, 2 issues:

1)  I had the ball bearing cap 180 degrees off.  There is an indent that needs to face the shifting mechanism.  Evidently that was restricting some movement of the shifter.

2)  There is an adjuster screw with a locking nut to the top right of the ball bearing cap.  I don't know what it is, just my friend told me it was way out of adjustment.  I removed the assembly, and had to get the locking nut loose.  I put it back in and could feel a spring providing resistance.  I screwed it in until my friend told me to stop, then put the locking nut on.  We did some fine tuning per his view of this thing over my iPhone.  Amazing he could see such clarity.

I put it all back together, and for the first time in probably 6 years, literally everything works!!!!!  It runs great, it shifts beautifully, all the lights work, my little clock I mounted on the front fork nut works (btw there are 2 batteries in there, one for the light too...so that was 2 trips to the battery store just to get that thing working), it brakes well, everything.  Victory at last!!!!!  Feels so good to get her on the road.  Though this might sound somewhere between poetic and corny, I swear she is looking a bit proud when I'm showing her off around the neighborhood!

Thanks to y'all for the support. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:44:45 pm by charte »
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 10:27:10 pm
Congratulations on getting it all working!

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:00:09 pm
Always wonderful when a vexing problem is solved. Cheers!
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 05:03:01 am
Indeed! Well done, Sir! Enjoy that old beast!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:37 am
Glad it was a simple fix - what did you use to top up the gearbox? Mine leaks a little bit, too. I know the spec is 00 grease, but I can never find a supply of that that isn't either overseas, or in a five-gallon bucket.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:49:41 pm
Hi!  I don't know where I got the recommendation, but I did vet it with the guys in India that this is ok.  It's Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90.

Comments welcome.

BTW, I run 5w-50 in the engine and it seems to sound a bit better.  The tolerances are such that I think 50 is appropriate.
1969 Bullet

bobscogin

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 04:06:53 pm
I know the spec is 00 grease, but I can never find a supply of that that isn't either overseas, or in a five-gallon bucket.

If you're in the US, Tractor Supply carries it. It's sold as "Cotton Picker Spindle Grease" in quart bottles.
Bob

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:15:11 pm
Many gear oils, including that Mobil 1 Synthetic, have EP additives containing sulfur compounds.
Sulfur EP additives have corrosive effects on the bronze parts of a Bullet's gearbox.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28958/ep-additives-effects
Home of the Fireball 535 !

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 04:24:36 pm
Ace thanks.  Read the article.  What do you recommend for the Fireball?
1969 Bullet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:13 pm
The old time method is to leave the 00 grease in it, and top off with straight 50w motor oil. When it gets hot, it mixes together as a slurry that works well.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Abraham

• Abraham
  • Scooter
  • Well done is better than well said.
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 01:50:22 am
Ace thanks.  Read the article.  What do you recommend for the Fireball?

I just ordered the 00 grease from tractor supply store

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00

2002 Royal Enfield Bullet 500es

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 06:03:38 pm
Hi there, reading your post has me wondering if I may have the same problem, I've written today a post, maybe 3 or 4 posts above this one, if so, maybe you could explain to me how to solve it, other than what you've already written on the subject.
Cheers, Will

charte

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 08:56:38 pm
Hi Will!

I checked out your post.

I have a 4 speed right shift gearbox, and yours I think is a 5 and doesn't look at all like mine.  Sorry mate, I think I am not help to you.
1969 Bullet