Author Topic: Handguards?  (Read 2674 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:55 pm
I think I'm very close to deciding to take the plunge and order a Himalayan.  I got to test ride one this summer when I was in the lower 48 and was really impressed... with maybe the exception of the front brake.  Anyway, when I think about add-ons, probably the first thing I'll want to get are some handguards and I wonder what has worked well for those of you good folks here that have them.  I'm looking for wind protection, but also drop protection.  They don't have to be bomb-proof, just withstand a simple drop.

Thanks as always for your nuggets of wisdom.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:05 pm
Mike - I bought my 1994 BMW K75 with a Rifle fairing and hand guards installed. Before this Beemer I had a R80RT with the giant fairing. My set up works really well at protection, although it's a fraction of the size of the BMW RT fairing. Of course the Rifle is very efficient at diverting air flow from my head and body. But, these hand covers take the place of a lot of fairing space. Getting the hands out of direct wind blast is a big factor.
  In other words I feel as protected now as I did with the giant fairing of the R80RT.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:16:42 pm
Mike - I bought my 1994 BMW K75 with a Rifle fairing and hand guards installed. Before this Beemer I had a R80RT with the giant fairing. My set up works really well at protection, although it's a fraction of the size of the BMW RT fairing. Of course the Rifle is very efficient at diverting air flow from my head and body. But, these hand covers take the place of a lot of fairing space. Getting the hands out of direct wind blast is a big factor.
  In other words I feel as protected now as I did with the giant fairing of the R80RT.
Cheers,
Bill
Thank you Bill for the photos.  That looks like a comfy arrangement. 
I have heard that not all of the aftermarket handguards that folks typically get for other bikes work with the Himalayan... some interfere with the windscreen with the bars turned hard one way or the other.  That's why I wondered if anyone here has some installed on a Himalayan, and what worked for them.  It might just be trial and error for awhile till I find the right fit, but that's OK.   Again, thanks for the feedback.
Mike

Wintrup

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:41:46 am
I fitted the BMW 1150 handguards that I had on my TDM and they're not great. There's barely enough clearance for the clutch and brake levers and they interfere with the lock by hitting the windscreen. I'm going to have to change them, but I need to know what others are using, like you. Not too keen on the Barkbusters really, I want something to shield the weather above protecting my hands. I'm not going to be riding through too many woods.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:44:34 am by Wintrup »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:59:06 pm
The topic of handguards specifically for the Himi came up recently here.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Wintrup

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:44:53 pm
I fitted the BMW 1150 handguards that I had on my TDM and they're not great. There's barely enough clearance for the clutch and brake levers and they interfere with the lock by hitting the windscreen.

Today I used the extra hole on the mounting plate to alter the angle of the screen. Cured the screen impediment, but now the handguards hit the clocks. It might be just good enough, I'll know on that occasion when I really need a tight turning circle.