Author Topic: Radial Engines  (Read 7538 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:19 pm
I beg to disagree.  The type of engine that rotates with the propeller is a "rotary" engine. The engine that stays fixed to the firewall and rotates the propeller is called a "radial" engine:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine

I haven't disputed that and I don't understand what you disagree with. One is fixed, the other rotary, but they are both radial engines the cylinders being laid out on the radii of a circle. 

All I asked (if you reread my question) is why did the designers think the rotary would ever be any good at all in the first place. All that spinning weight seems silly to me from the get-go.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 10:13:38 pm
      I haven't disputed that and I don't understand what you disagree with. One is fixed, the other rotary, but they are both radial engines the cylinders being laid out on the radii of a circle. 

All I asked (if you reread my question) is why did the designers think the rotary would ever be any good at all in the first place. All that spinning weight seems silly to me from the get-go.

While both engines may be "radial" in design, the accepted convention is to call the engine that spins with the propeller a "rotary" engine and the one that is fixed and spins the propeller a "radial" engine, to differentiate between the two different designs.  Check out the Wikipedia link that I provided in my previous post.   It explains the difference between the two engines and why the "radial" design superseded the "rotary" engine.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 10:45:21 pm
While both engines may be "radial" in design, the accepted convention is to call the engine that spins with the propeller a "rotary" engine and the one that is fixed and spins the propeller a "radial" engine, to differentiate between the two different designs.  Check out the Wikipedia link that I provided in my previous post.   It explains the difference between the two engines and why the "radial" design superseded the "rotary" engine.

I read it before you posted it. I've also read the WikiPedia titled "Radial Engines". I think we both know what we're saying and if we were both sitting in lawn chairs in my driveway it would all be fine and dandy. This is a tough way to communicate. I'm reminded of Cool Hand Like.

My premise is still that there are two macro-types of radial engines; Stationary (fixed) and Rotary.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 04:45:21 am
So, what's the difference between a Wankel Rotary and a Wanker Notary?
'Cause this thread's getting a little too grim, and that really  screams for a solid punchline.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 02:03:28 pm
So, what's the difference between a Wankel Rotary and a Wanker Notary?

Umm, I'm going with Nothing.
They both make too much annoying noise and waste too many natural resources.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:41 pm
Brilliant.
Lurker on a Vespa

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:34:09 pm
Umm, I'm going with Nothing.
They both make too much annoying noise and waste too many natural resources.

Umm, and there is a big shortage of natural resources right? But I would agree, better save on the Wanker Notary and put the natural resource to a good use in a lets say nice V8.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:29:10 pm by oTTo »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 05:27:19 pm
OK...So we're going with:

"None. Both are annoying and a waste of energy."

Right?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 01:59:43 am
Geez ;) lets move on to Radical engines ;D
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 07:26:02 am
Wikipedia is quite helpful on advantages of rotary engines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine#Advantages_and_drawback.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 11:37:52 pm
The rotary (rotating) engine also had the benefit of the entire mass of the cylinders, pistons and crankcase acting like a giant flywheel.

This was a great in keeping it spinning after the guy who grabbed the propeller gave it a 1/4 turn to start it.

As for the gyroscopic effect, that could be good or bad depending on what the pilot wanted to do.

If someone was on his tail trying to shoot him down he could rapidly turn and dive in one direction but turning in the other direction was more than a little difficult. 
That could allow the pilot in a rotory powered plane to out turn the pilot using a non-rotating engine if the turn was in the correct direction.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 11:46:22 pm
Getting covered with oil while the rotary engine was running with its constant-loss oiling system was apparently no fun, either.  :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 11:56:20 pm
Kermit Weeks video of his Sopwith Snipe not only shows how to start one but it also shows how the rotary engines gyroscopic effect can even make handling the plane on the ground difficult.

If you have 15 minutes for an interesting video, have fun watching. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK1OVjloSSY&list=PLc9R0Ar11YH1LJEgfdmZT1-GZ-Vtuted5&index=33

(Fixed link so it would be to right video)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:20:29 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 01:04:52 pm
I believe the Sopwith Camel too didn't suffer fools gladly. Many of the most effective piston era warplanes would bite the novice pilot but were acceptable for service use because of their fighting qualities. Eg F4U , Me109 and B26.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:16 am
Umm, and there is a big shortage of natural resources right? But I would agree, better save on the Wanker Notary and put the natural resource to a good use in a lets say nice V8.
Yes, let's.  Im'a gonna burn lots of natural resources in this on the weekend:
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E