Author Topic: [Update] Straight vs. Offset Fork Handling  (Read 2767 times)

tjupille

• Scooter
on: December 31, 2018, 05:52:40 am
I got a 2011 C5 last year (after a tree fell on my old 2005), and have no real issues aside from the usual vibration (I know, it's the nature of the beast) and absolutely horrible tramlining on grooved pavement -- to the point where I actually go out of my way to avoid roads with rain grooves. The bike hss "offset" front forks, but later versions have straight forks and larger tires. There's a 2015 for sale not too far away, and I wonder if that would be an improvement.

Does anyone have experience on either or both to give some feedback?

Thanks in advance!

-- Tom Jupille
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:24:37 am by tjupille »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:20:22 am
i think is more involved than straight v offset there's also the wheel size difference to 18/19 that being said my very first bike was a 011 c5 and was indeed a heap of crap -and that's when it was new
I also experienced handling issues/tramlining steering head too tight/bad wiring issues
if you can get into a 015 bike it may look the same but the improvement are they -you just have to look
better wiring to the tail light section..relocated/inside the headlight/ecu box neater just to name a few plus the 19/18 wheel switch with straight front forks to handle the earlier wild ride incident.
if you can stretch to 018 model you get the abs which is far more superior in the braking. dept.
I actually thought from 015 onwards they were better built bike...I never said great ...just better built..LOL
so if you can go the distance and upgrade in year models...do it now!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:47:54 pm
RE 500 Bullets had offset forks and 19" wheels for years and everyone was happy.

The factory decision to fit 18" wheels front and back on the first C5 models was overturned in favor of going back to 19" fronts, so clearly 18" wasn't a good idea. When the Redditch (UK) factory fitted 17" wheels front and rear to the 350 Bullets for 1959 they fitted forks with almost no axle lead. Back to Chennai, and the Electra-EFI/G5 and the first B5 models had leading axle forks with 19" wheels and everyone seemed happy with those. I'm using early C5 and B5 forks on a pair of Redditch-framed bitsas, but with - you guessed - 19" wheels up front.

We've been spared your rain-grooved highways here in the UK (I've heard they can be a challenge even for a bike with good handling), but if your bike is otherwise fine a 19" front wheel swap, possibly with front fender and stays to match, might be all you need. Otherwise I'd be looking to test-ride the 2015 bike over those rain grooves, to be sure, which would also let you check out Wildbill's point on improved general build quality at the same time.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:36 pm
Thanks for the feedback! In the event, I just checked the dealer's website and it shows the bike as "sale pending". I'll find out more when I call them tomorrow. If it's gone, I'll keep looking until I find another. I suspect a whole bike will be easier to find than just the forks!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:49:45 am
Also note that the stock enfield front Avons have a reputation for tramlining. Replacing with K70s is a pretty standard upgrade.

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 11:57:31 pm
Also note that the stock enfield front Avons have a reputation for tramlining. Replacing with K70s is a pretty standard upgrade.
  It would be if K70 18" fronts were actually obtainable!  ::) (I've checked the "usual suspects").

Any other recommendations?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:03 am
I recently bought a pair of 19" K70's for my B5 from Revzilla. Prior to that my bike had Avon Speedmaster II tires.  However, they seemed to track rain grooves less than the K70's do. Although neither tire weaved very much on the grooves, the K70's were just a little worse.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:38:57 am
  It would be if K70 18" fronts were actually obtainable!  ::) (I've checked the "usual suspects").

Any other recommendations?

I would definitely go with a 19 " front wheel on that bike ... if it has a 18 "  front now ?  Pretty sure the 19" front wheels on the C-5  came out in '12.     They also Increased the width of the rear 18" tire to a 120 mm , up from a 110 mm .  The 120 mm also is a taller tire ... wider side wall.   I think a 19" front and rear would be about Ideal On a C-5.... Like the G-5 had on them.    But a 18"rear wheel , with 120 mm wide tire would get you close.   I use  Avon roadriders...  90/90/19  front and a 120/80/18 rear.   I also use  1/2" longer shocks...
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:53 am
Well, I pulled the trigger and got a "new" 2017 C5 "desert storm". I just trailered it home from the dealer (it's raining cats & dogs here in N.California) so haven't had a chance to see how it handles the grooved pavement. I spent the rainy evening in the shed swapping over the 7" headlight and big "Pegasus-like" panniers. Hopefully we'll get a dry spell over the weekend and I can actually ride.