Author Topic: Uniden 2G/3G/4G Cradle Style Celluar Signal Booster $197  (Read 2906 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
T&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc coverage is pretty sketchy in the mountains of San Diego county including downtown Descanso and my workshop.  I've been looking for boosters for my vehicles and workshop.  Asked a question of Uniden and their Business Development Head pointed me at their Cradle Style kit https://unidencellular.com/uniden-link-4g-cellular-booster-2040cpal.html Currently on sale for $197 with 60-day return.  My only decision is to buy one or two.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:29:50 pm
Seems like a handy gadget. On a related note, if you're like me and use Google Maps and its "Avoid Highways" option for touring, you can still sail through those data dead spots in "Amish Country" by setting Google Maps' options to automatically download maps towards and around your chosen destination when you do have a signal squeaking through. You can also shunt their storage to the SD card to spare overloading the phone's internal memory, if you like.

It's all pretty straightforward, but there are plenty of descriptions of this hack online, and this one covers both Apple and Android: http://erinlyyc.com/2017/05/17/how-to-save-google-maps-directions-for-offline-use-when-travelling/.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:27:33 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39:38 pm
Excellent advice.  For me this is mostly a safety issue to improve contact with family, friends, roadside assistance, etc.  I use my Garmin Zumo 660 for navigation with Bluetooth audio to my Uclear helmet speakers.  SoCal sunshine really washes out the screen.  VA may be different. :)
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:10:00 am
Excellent advice.  For me this is mostly a safety issue to improve contact with family, friends, roadside assistance, etc.  I use my Garmin Zumo 660 for navigation with Bluetooth audio to my Uclear helmet speakers.  SoCal sunshine really washes out the screen.  VA may be different. :)

Rain or shine, unless I've broken out the little magnetic tank bag, with its clear device pocket, like on longggg trips, I usually just carry my phone in my breast pocket, and let the nice lady tell me what to do. I've been good and married getting on 22 years, so I'm used to letting some woman tell me what to do.

For the benefit of newcomers, a rundown on some of the ultra-cheapo touring gear from the Far East that has served me well can be found in my report on my Trip to REOCNA/Triumph National Rally in Oley, PA--June 2018.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:30:41 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:33:54 am
Seems like a handy gadget. On a related note, if you're like me and use Google Maps and its "Avoid Highways" option for touring, you can still sail through those data dead spots in "Amish Country" by setting Google Maps' options to automatically download maps towards and around your chosen destination when you do have a signal squeaking through. You can also shunt their storage to the SD card to spare overloading the phone's internal memory, if you like.

internal memory?  SD card?  Huh?

(spot the iphone user if you can...)