Author Topic: Difficult head removal  (Read 5156 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 03:45:33 am
Thanks Ace.  I will do that.
One thing I just noticed is that this piston has no part number, Front stamp or arrow to indicate the front. When I compared it to the piston I took out of my other bullet (1999 500), this piston was put in backwards. My other bullet piston has a part number cast into the skirt as well as "Front" stamped into the piston top.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 04:26:29 am
You may have then this one but I may be wrong.  The finish on this one appears to be better than on yours.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/European-Made-Piston-500cc/19593

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:31:18 am by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 05:56:05 am
Thanks Ace.  I will do that.
One thing I just noticed is that this piston has no part number, Front stamp or arrow to indicate the front. When I compared it to the piston I took out of my other bullet (1999 500), this piston was put in backwards. My other bullet piston has a part number cast into the skirt as well as "Front" stamped into the piston top.

There typically is a very slight difference in the width of the valve reliefs on the piston crown. The wider one goes on the intake side. However, if there is no pin offset, it can be installed either way around without any real worry. If it says Front, then you have to put it in that way toward the front.

There were many vendors supplying pistons to the factory, and many more making aftermarket replacements.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:19 pm
The very last thing you want is a piston made in India. When they first started with the Iron Barrel they tried various Indian made pistons and they were all junk and failed. All of the pistons supplied later were made in Europe. Good pistons but as noted they did have a weakness. 99% were no trouble but if you were one of the unlucky ones it would take your head and maybe cylinder and depending on the failure mode the crank.

If you fit a piston to some of the specs you see for an air cooled piston of that size it will be too tight. I have seized up my own bike with a 535 kit several times for the same reason ( I had a room full of pistons so it wasn't a big idea. The alloy barrel really helped. Hot weather can be very risky for an Iron Barrel. One that isn't WELL broken in can generate more heat than it can dissipate. The alloy barrel is a very big help.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 03:39:00 am
Hello Kevin and Happy New Year!  It's great to see that you are still keeping up with the forum.

Cheers.  HP