Author Topic: Oil Filter Cap Gasket - US source or alternative?  (Read 2414 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
on: December 26, 2018, 03:06:59 am
Greetings, all!

Does anyone have a US source for an Oil Filter Cap Gaskets (part#: 140035)?  Hitchcocks has them, but after shipping costs and the delay getting to the US, it just strikes me as more expensive that it should be.  Is there an alternative for that gasket other than the specific RE part?

Thanks
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:17:55 am
Are we still talking about that '08 Military of yours that you wanted to dress up like the old wartime WD ones, with girder forks and all? If so, are you sure you're not needing the oil PUMP gasket, and not the "filter cap gasket"? 'Cause my 2005 has no "gasket" as such at the oil filter, just felt washers and O rings. Also, that part 140035 seems to be for either pre-2001 Bullets or pre-1998 ones. Then again, maybe your '08's oil filter setup is different than my '05's, or we're talking about some other earlier bike.

If you just need an O ring (parts 500621 or 500618) and/or felt washer (part 144615) for the filter rigamarole just PM me with a mailing address, and it'll be on its way tomorrow. I got a few with that 3-filter kit from our hosts in Ft. Worth. If it's something else you need, I'm sure they can square you away properly.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:20:41 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:32:20 pm
Hey, Bilgemaster....

This is for a '77 Bullet 350.  the 08 military has gone to another bitten by the RE bug.  i lost my mind and bought a semi-working 350 off eBay (reported to be working, but both wheels were almost seized and the throttle cable was broken when I picked it up), and had to sell the '08 to pay for the 350.  at least the 350 is the correct engine size for the pseudo-wwii bike.  and there's no electric starter (I may regret that, kickstarters and I don't get along - yet). And it's a right shift bike.

According to Hitchcocks, its 'Gasket, Oil Filter Cap part# 140035.  i've got a drip in the general area of that cap.  I got a whole bunch of parts for the bike, including three oil filters, but i'm ordering a new kit with all the o-rings and felt washers and doing an oil change just so I can say when the last oil change was done.  i found a guy on eBay (india) that has a five pack and i'm ordering other parts from him (throttle cable, old style rear number plate, oil filter kit, tool kit), so i guess i'm back in the waiting game.  I appreciate the offer of the o-rings and let washer.

Thanks!
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:15:23 am
You're very welcome. I just adore my '05 500 "Military." It's got just  enough oompfh to get the job done for the kind of off-the-interstate touring I enjoy. But I don't pretend (or truly care) for a second that it has more than a passing verisimilitude with a real military vehicle. In fact, I keep it just as shiny as I'm able. If anything, mine might most resemble what a wartime bike might have looked like after  it had been surplussed off by the War Department and been in private hands for a couple-few years, with a dash chrome and other blingy gimcracks bolted on here and there by a now long-demobbed and confirmed civvie-for-life, no longer worried about German snipers, who just wanted it to look "noyce." The most "military" aspect of my bike is the old Quantico Military Base Parking Permit on its left fender brace left on by the previous owner, a retired Marine. Most folks hereabouts know what "Quantico" means. Similar to a "Semper Fi" sticker I never earned, I've just left it on as a sort of faux biohazard warning to thieves and other fuckwits that messing with it might be harmful to their health, possibly resulting in their having the snot stomped out of them with brutal professional finesse by some imaginary buzzcut jarhead with more confirmed kills than they'd had steak dinners.

Having a 350 instead of a 500 would add a level of difficulty to the hijinx I enjoy, like thumping on up to that National Rally in Oley, PA (This year from June 21st through the 23rd). Flat out a well-sorted 350 will get up to about the low 60s, compared with about 80 mph for a 500, but neither will cruise happily at those top speeds for very long before shaking themselves to bits. Still, those 350s have their own virtues: Being less stressed towards the limits of sometimes "dodgy" Indian metallurgy, they're probably a bit more robust. I've seen Indian YouTube videos with happily thumping 350s that looked like they'd been dredged up from the hold of the Titanic. As for the kickstarting hurdle you mention, a 350's way easier than a 500, as recently showcased on this Forum by this pretty lady. One imagines a fairly corpulent yet acrobatic squirrel could kick one over. So, there's that. And with sensible routing, I'll bet you could  handily coax one from Oswego to Oley in a couple-few glorious days down that Lincoln Highway, the real "Mother Road" of America and Grandmammy of Route 66. You'd be one saddleweary cowpoke when I finally handed you that Yuengling Black & Tan in our little Enfield Ghetto there, but it's definitely an epic voyage worth making.

As for me, if I could have a wartime British 350 it would have to be a Norton Model 16H. My nearest neighbor in Scotland had one, and it was a thing of ratty primitive beauty. They're pretty exotic here in "The Colonies," but not so in Britain. They're no longer to be had for a few pints as they were back in the '70s and even '80s, when they were just widely considered as being worn out old "pre-Featherbed mules," but with patience unrestored "tatty" examples from the darkest corners of the sheds of Britain, even semi-running ones, can still sometimes be had for about the same as a similarly well-worn Commando or at least far less than a new Triumph.

Since you're clearly a fan of the art, if you've ever wanted to enjoy the very primmest and crispest expression of British Military Motorcycling, then you need tarry no longer: Let the Ministry of Defence instruct you over the next hour and a half how it's done properly. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:47:28 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 02:04:56 pm
Hey Bilgemaster!

Thanks for all the links!  it took me a while to get through everything, including your other post in the vintage section.  I watched the video, ordered the book, downloaded the PDF, and checked out the event in PA.  Now i'm waiting on the end of Jan to watch an auction over at mecum.com to see what the vintage bikes get for final bids.  One day, i'll have a true vintage bike.  For now, Operation Green Paint is moving apace.  The front wheel is done along with the front fender.  Now i need to match the green paint for the 61 infantry battalion marker so I can get that onto the front fender.  The casquette has been mostly dismantled for getting the rust off of the smaller parts.  Today should see the speedo and ammeter, control cables, wiring inside the casquette, and lower shock tubes getting taped up.  Then it'll be turning it all green tomorrow.  Once that's done, i can remount the front wheel, get the bike off the jack, and rearrange everything to remove the rear wheel.  at some point, the gas tank needs to come off, get drained, probably red-kote'd (depending on how grimy the tank is when the petcock comes off), and then repainted.  There's just so much left to do, and so many nuts and bolts removed at this point, it's going to be a challenge reassembling everything.  I even got the leather covers off the seat frames and those are in the electrolysis bath getting de-rusted.

Eventually, there'll be picts...

Thanks!
Rob

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 03:38:59 pm
Just a quick addendum: For some reason YouTube isn't parsing those three old British wartime motorcycle training films I mentioned so that they'll play together.

They are:

Meanwhile, in Canada the Molson's clearly arrived.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:44:36 pm by Bilgemaster »

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:17:39 am
Just a quick addendum: For some reason YouTube isn't parsing those three old British wartime motorcycle training films I mentioned so that they'll play together.

Thank you for posting.  Love these WWII videos.
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:30 pm
Hitchcocks shipping time is amazing. We used to put in an order every Thursday and we had it by Tuesday or Wed. at the latest. It is more effective to order a larger order than just a gasket though. Ever wonder why you can get similar packages from Chine dirt cheap? Believe it or not we subsidize the postage from China (look it up, it's unbelievable. )

With a 350 parts are much more plentiful in India than 500 parts are.
As for starting you can start a 350 by hand, I have seen it done many times, often as part of a contest. The factory finally banned their employees from doing it because of injuries from a rare kickback. The 350 is a better engine in almost every respect. One weakness is the sleeve bearing for the distributor. Make sure yours is good or the timing wil bounce all over the place, 500cc use ball bearings
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:18:01 pm
Hitchcocks shipping time is amazing. We used to put in an order every Thursday and we had it by Tuesday or Wed. at the latest. It is more effective to order a larger order than just a gasket though. Ever wonder why you can get similar packages from Chine dirt cheap? Believe it or not we subsidize the postage from China (look it up, it's unbelievable. )

With a 350 parts are much more plentiful in India than 500 parts are.
As for starting you can start a 350 by hand, I have seen it done many times, often as part of a contest. The factory finally banned their employees from doing it because of injuries from a rare kickback. The 350 is a better engine in almost every respect. One weakness is the sleeve bearing for the distributor. Make sure yours is good or the timing wil bounce all over the place, 500cc use ball bearings

Hitchcocks has been amazing with their delivery. 
India is a bit of a guessing game for their delivery times.  They say between 5 and 7 weeks, and then it shows up some time earlier than that.  I'm not arguing, but...
I know about the discounts for shipping into the US.  I had a shirt made in India and received free shipping.  They made it wrong and it would have cost me $67 to return the shirt to them.  I only paid $51 to get the shirt in the first place!

I just posted my latest series of idiot questions, but in that same vein I haven't actually located my distributor on my bike yet.  I think it's behind the brass cover that has a lion's head embossed into it.  I'm avoiding anything electrical on the bike, but it's going to happen eventually....

Thanks!
Rob