Author Topic: Bullet UCE INTERMOT unveiling Comments Thread!  (Read 25502 times)

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:45:16 pm
I'm a new member, and this is my first (corrected) post.  I've been waiting for this unveiling, and now I will read all I can about the new RE until I'm ready to buy.  I now own a '07 Harley-Davidson Street Bob, but I will sell it soon and put a deposit on one of these new Bullets when they reach the States--I hope they continue the Deluxe with the gas tank trimmed in chrome.    I've also been reading the other posts, and I'm impressed with such brand loyalty--as strong as Harley-Davidson, but a more intelligent crowd. HaHa 

My immediate question is, how fat of a front tire could I put on the front rim (is it 2.5")?  The wider front fender on the 2009s suggests wider forks, which would allow a wider tire.  I also might be able to respoke with a rim that matches the one on the rear (depending on the number of spokes in each wheel).  I want a wide front tire, with a matching size tire on the rear.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:53:55 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:08 pm
I like the bike but am concerned about the price.  With the dollar falling in value worldwide I think it will be extremely unlikely to find a retail price below $6,000.  And that is a price breaker for me.
Surely with your $ falling, all imports mayl be dearer, but the Indian will still be as competetive.
My main concearn would be the quality, the Classics could get away with bad chrome, bits falling off, and the other usual problems because they were cheap and it gave a reasonable window to spend a few £ to bring it upto scratch but still be cheaper than the rice rockets, but if the new one is priced too close to a higher priced machine with inbuilt reliability, you are going to be a bit peaved if you need to start spendiningt on a new bike!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 06:11:08 pm
That's one sharp looking bike!  Nothing to not like as far as I'm concerned.  I probably would, however, prefer a straight exhaust in order to give saddlebags more clearance.

Eamon
Eamon

LJRead

Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 06:35:30 pm
Yes, the one in black with large red polka dots is especially nice.

All in all, I like current Classic AVL models better because they retain the original look when the swing arm first came out.  Trying to mate the swing arm with the G series type looks is a little off setting.  I guess it is because I grew up with the British bikes of the later fifties.  It is a little too retro for my tastes, but nice for someone who wants that look.

I think I would give buyers a choice of the new bike as pictured and maybe a current Classic with the new engine, plus a military as they seem popular.  The military could be in the new retro look as that would give a WWII ambiance to it.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 05:44:20 am
"Yes, the one in black with large red polka dots is especially nice".

You guys must reexamine your analyses--maybe it's a European thing.  Like most hungry American males, I prefer the sweetheart with white spots on black, almost as much as the bike displayed in the same photo!!  Clean and sharp-looking examples in both cases!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:59:49 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Puddlejumper

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 03:40:47 am
How much? And when will they be at the dealers?

I like 'em!

BeSafe
PJ
"Lo que no mata, engorda"

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:08 am
Kevin, why is the girl in focus in the first pic and not the bike ;D you must have been distracted.

The bike looks great !

I got to ride the mock up at the rally on the river sounds like an Enfield should, rides and shift smooth. very torquey

MO-KAN

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 12:48:49 pm
Reading the Watsonian sales pitch, the Electra will still be avaliable in the U.K. in 2009 but with the new UCE engine, the way I read it is that the new model on show will be another model all together.
until all the details are avaliable, dates, models, prices etc, everything still seems to be speculation, and as clear as ditch water.
Will they be converting models to the Clubman, Woodsman etc, its not really just about one new model in a few new colours.
Also, how long will we still be able to get parts for the Classics and other discontinued models, for years ahead I imagine, and hope!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 08:24:09 pm
Loved the pictures, thanks.  Also loved the site.
So glad they adhered as closely to classic lines as possible.  A retro design with an authentic heritage, with modern tweaks here and there to enhance reliability.  That combination has worked for Harley and should work for RE as well.  I hope they kept the use of plastic down to a minimum, especially the fenders and headlight nacelle.  I've looked at unit engined RE's and this one looks pretty close so I think we can pretty much avoid the term "faux retro" here.
Wonder how much of the existing accessories catalog will fit or will new luggage racks, panniers, etc. have to be produced.
6k is a reasonable price range.  We can't expect to do this much redesign without it being reflected in the price.  If the current economic squeeze don't kill my job, I might be able to swing keeping my old Honda PC and buy the RE outright.  My other preferred options were running 7k+ anyway. :)

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 10:34:40 pm
Another question: What's the primary drive? Chain? Gears?

stw

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 02:09:25 am
Yes, the one in black with large red polka dots is especially nice.

All in all, I like current Classic AVL models better because they retain the original look when the swing arm first came out.  Trying to mate the swing arm with the G series type looks is a little off setting.   I guess it is because I grew up with the British bikes of the later fifties.  It is a little too retro for my tastes, but nice for someone who wants that look.

I think I would give buyers a choice of the new bike as pictured and maybe a current Classic with the new engine, plus a military as they seem popular.  The military could be in the new retro look as that would give a WWII ambiance to it.
Try to picture how the classic AVL models look like the early swingarm models, while the new UCE looks like the G series, if you don't mind a newbie question.  Was the G series a hardtail?  What are the visual cues that would help me recognize the how the classic looks like the early swingarm models rather than the G series?

By the way, the bike looks surprisingly good and true to what RE riders look for...but does anyone else notice the 18" wheels really do look smaller? I wouldn't have thought 1" smaller would be that noticeable but it is.  Especially the front.
1995 RE Bullet 4speed

LJRead

Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 03:17:06 am
The photo shows a G-series, I believe.  They were a hard tail.  The new bike looks good and most will be more than satisfied with it.  I guess I had expected something a little more progressive while still recognizable as an Enfield.  I too was surprised at what one inch on the wheel could do.

This isn't like the car style changes of an earlier era where the old ones soon got to looking outmoded. I think each model or series of Enfield has its place and would be happy to own any one of them.  If I could see one of the new models in person, I think that would make a difference, as they probably look so much better that way than in photos.

LJRead

Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 03:23:29 am
Here is a picture of the Vincent Black shadow and, just in looking at it, it appears that it has a sort of soft tail with the shocks more unobtrusive.

LJRead

Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 03:32:10 am
And here is a mock-up or artist rendition that was circulated before the new UCE came out.  To me, the cleaness of its lines is very impressive and nice.

stw

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 05:05:25 am
The photo shows a G-series, I believe. 
Thanks. Good to see the differences.
1995 RE Bullet 4speed