Author Topic: Bullet UCE INTERMOT unveiling Comments Thread!  (Read 25512 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:04 pm
I didn't break my AVL in according to the book either. I had read on a British site that dealers tell customers to keep it under 60 for the first 500 miles. I did a bit less than that, but I took my cues from the engine.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 06:55:58 am
ENGINE BREAK-IN GUIDELINES (from an old fart that has been building engines for decades).

Regarding engine break-in, there are some specific rules to follow regardless if you are riding a cast-iron or aluminum (alloy) engine.  Reduced RPM and the avoidance of cruising RPMs are critical, regardless of speed.  Breaking in an engine by around-town driving is the best option, with its varied engine speeds and stop-& go situations.  Although recent engine designs are less susceptible to improper break-in it definitely remains advantageous to keep RPMs below 3000 for the first 5000 miles. 

Another important factor are oil changes.  Because engines come from whatever factory with whatever oil in it, it is best to change the oil after 1000 miles to whatever grade and brand an owner determines is "best".  From that point forward, it is best to change carbon-based oils (made from dead dinosaurs) every 3000 miles, while synthetic oils will lubricate an engine effectively for 5000 miles.  Quality is paramount!!  Many brands are available, but the continuous winner in Consumer Reports reviews is Valvoline.  Because I am a sucker for scientific proof, I run synthetic Valvoline in all my vehicles other than my Harley-Davidson (I run their synthetic oil while the bike is under warranty), and the extra cost of running synthetic oils is definitely worth the expense.

Lastly, let me mention that old engine designs require much more attention to engine break-in.  Iron block Royal  Enfield classics for instance, are much more susceptible to engine particularities (rarely to an owner's advantage), while also requiring a higher level of maintenance than the newer alloy counterparts.. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:03:46 pm by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 06:27:16 pm
I broke mine in by the RE book, I rode on the side of the road for @ 32 mph or less for 300 miles like a moped. If I could see cars stacking behind me I would pull off.
The shifting got better ,I rarely have a missed shift anymore, just like others have reported.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 08:04:31 pm
You say cars stacking up behind you? I would have thought dog sleds.  ::)