Author Topic: Advice needed on a used Classic 500  (Read 11212 times)

Mike in Oz

• Scooter
on: December 19, 2018, 09:04:24 am
G'day guys,

I'm looking at getting a used classic 500 from a mate, its a 2013 model and has 99600 kms on the clock.

Yes you read that right it 4k short of a 100k.

Now this will be my first enfield so have at it internet, what should I look out for in the way of potential dramas!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:36:22 am
id play this one smart.....what price are we taking here $1000 max if more forget it!
that bike will cost you long term ...lets say bigger $$$ down the track
I actually know a guy selling a pegasus if your in the position fund wise to do the deal...just barely 200 klm on the clock
it will last you for many years rather than look at what your thinking of now which could end in many tears.....
just a thought...what if its one of my old bikes.....there out there everywhere...LOL

Mike in Oz

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53:05 pm
id play this one smart.....what price are we taking here $1000 max if more forget it!
that bike will cost you long term ...lets say bigger $$$ down the track
I actually know a guy selling a pegasus if your in the position fund wise to do the deal...just barely 200 klm on the clock
it will last you for many years rather than look at what your thinking of now which could end in many tears.....
just a thought...what if its one of my old bikes.....there out there everywhere...LOL

Hey buddy,

I'm willing to spend $1000 AUD on the purchase (subject to tyre kicking and test ride) but I just want a cheap runaround and this bike apparently is rock solid.

A pegasus would be amazeballs but I'm 99% sure I can't afford it unless you have a brain snap and literally give it away!  ;)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:24:33 pm
well if you can get it pretty cheap you might as well take the risk and see what happens.
either way once you start riding it I am sure you will have a bit of fun.
that Pegasus is serious $$$ so it looks like that unit is out of the question.
should you go ahead your best move is run say 100 pages back through these threads and look into 013 plated bike issues -that way you are partly prepared for the unexpected.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:24:11 am
That is a lot of km for a 500cc single.

The viability of  the bike will depend on a lot of factors including whether the engine is original or rebuilt and whether you are able to do basic maintenance (chain, oil change, fork oil air filters etc) yourself or will be relying on a dealer.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:14:49 am
I'd jump on it.  If it was going to break down it would have done it by now (my philosophy behind driving a 500,000km commodore) so it's probably bombproof. Just be sure to get it cheap.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Mike in Oz

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:35:45 am
Thanks guys,

I'm pretty happy to be able to do the basic maintenance stuff and to be honest I quite like that sort of thing.

Gizzo has the right of it I think, if it was going to kark it, I think it would have done so already....

I'll update more after I get a look at it. :)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 02:54:36 pm
All I'll say is that it sounds MUCH better in American English: a five year old bike with about 60,000 miles for 700 bucks.

That's close to "Parts Bike" money around here. If it runs and stops and shifts...
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 04:14:00 pm
As long as you understand and accept that "2013 classic 500" and "rock solid" aren't often written together... but Bilgemaster has added some useful (I think) perspective...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:30 pm
I paid $1700 for my barely running Bullet and it's become a truly pleasant exasperation.
$700 is close to free!
Lurker on a Vespa

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:10 pm
see how you go on the inspection. if you decide it's not for you and the seller is in NSW just tell him I will buy the bike sight unseen and have some-one call and collect.
I could then for just plain curiosity sakes do a shoot out comparison 2018 model with 1000 miles against a 2013 with 60,000

Mike in Oz

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 01:47:20 pm
lol thanks for the input guys, I will be duly cautious and expect a ongoing fixer upper project.

The seller is in WA so I think I'll grab it and just see what happens.

I'll post some pics of the saga as it unfolds, I'm just hoping its not a rusted lump of crap after six months under a tarp!  :o

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 05:18:58 pm
A little surface rust just gives it "vintage character," and the worst of it should polish right out. Just change all its fluids and filter to put it on notice that a kinder gentler new master's at the helm, and enjoy that beast. Most all of my rides have been "rescue dogs", and I've seldom been disappointed. Best of luck go with you, and yes, let's see some before and after pics, yeah?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:21:44 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 11:29:38 pm
price is good especially if local. no good for any-one interstate as the transport cost and re- rego would sour up a great deal on a cheap bike.
you are in the right place at the right time.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 03:47:07 am
too right, Bill. Bike prices are usually less in WA, i guess it's the transport cost and small pool of local buyers keeps the cost down. A mate bought a SV1000 from Bunbury (I think )  a few years ago for an absolute steal but ended up costing over a grand to have it delivered to Adelaide. First transport Bunbury-Perth then Perth-ADL + extra for spares.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E