Author Topic: Royal Enfield Electra X kickstarting without risk of kick back.  (Read 2157 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
I came up with this today and thought it might be of interest to some.
 B.W.
https://youtu.be/axOs4qRkob8

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 01:52:46 pm
I came up with this today and thought it might be of interest to some.
 B.W.
https://youtu.be/axOs4qRkob8

It's good you posted this for new owners new to kick starting. That's been SOP for me for years now except I don't use the kill switch.

The AVL forum is very quiet. There aren't many of us. Nuthin' goin' on for a long time. I got my '08 nailed down finally so well a few years ago that I no longer give a thought to whether it will start or not. 

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:40 pm
Yep. Good info for the newbies.
I haven't posted here for awhile cuz I'm still finishing the Bonnie/Sidecar lighting wiring.
The AVL gets a new GPS speedo, LED warning lights and some electrical work this winter.
Also considering replacing the VM32 with a TM32 carb. Getting annoying always having to adjust idle at stops.

I'll update when done.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:09:07 am

Also considering replacing the VM32 with a TM32 carb. Getting annoying always having to adjust idle at stops.

If mine is any indication, you will still have to tweak your idle speed at least once, maybe twice, as the engine and carb heat up. It's simple with the finger knob; no screw driver or eye balls needed.

Mine starts cold with no throttle in the summer and the initial idle is Very low on the first start of the day. If I dare touch the throttle it will not start. And if I touch the throttle after it's running (in the first 15 seconds) it will die. I just leave it alone and in about 10 or 15 seconds it comes up to a normal, but still kind of low, idle.

In two or three minutes it warms to where I must tweak the idle down just a hair before I take off. And then again at my first stop (however long that is) it usually wants to be tweaked down again because it's warmed up more. It then stays the same the whole rest of the time. It never dies or even tries to die at stops, in fact I can idle it down where the Indians like it and it Will Not Die.

And the plug is beautious  :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.